Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
I placed an order for an Apple TV and a new Samsung LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD widescreen. Almost immediatedly after that, I noticed that Apple TV's specs say that it will work with 1080i but did not mention 1080p.

The TV store says it will upscale and work (but did not have LCD's in stock to test), Apple sales said yes, then asked me to hold while they talked to higher-ups, and came back with a "probably not". Amazon.com support says "yes it will upscale, but no gaurantees". Amazon even called Apple support for me, but Apple would not commit to saying it would work or not!!!

I honestly do not care if I actually see 1080p quality or not. All I want to know is if this Apple TV will work with this LCD model at all. This is for my parents who would like to see their grandchildrens' photos floating across their widescreen with Ken Burns effects and some video too. They are not really into the whole resolution debate.

I didn't know what to do, so I've cancelled my order untill I can figure this out. Can anyone out there help me with this? I am so confused!!!!

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
If it doesn't work now, I'm sure it will further down the line with a firmware update for 1080p.

I'm pretty sure it would work as is though.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
It will work with the TV but only at 1080i. Up scaling refers to going from 720p to 1080i. That's upping the resolution from 1280x720 to 1920x1080. P stands for progressive and I is for interlaced, that is talking about the way the pixels are refreshed.

If the device can only output at 1080i it will not output at 1080p. But it can be downscaled to 720p. (and vice versa)

So to answer your question, yes it will work, but only at 1080i.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes it'll work, but it won't display a 1080p signal. The list is output formats. Your TV will happily accept a 1080i signal or a 720p one. It's up to you which one looks better!

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Yes it will upscale, it supports SD (480i) and all HD resolutions.

You will be able to run the Apple TV either in 720p or 1080i

Take a look at the manual online at Sumsung.

Cheers, Ed.

deep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Thanks!!!!

This all helped VERY much! Amazon is so convinced that they are right, they are considering allowing me to refund all costs including shipping if it does not work with Apple TV! It looks like I can't loose by just trying. Thanks again for all of your responses.

-deep

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
I have the 40 inch 1080p set from samsung

It displays 1080P just fine. t is even a menu item to select under screen resolution.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
It'll work and display 720p/1080i but not as good as 1080p I'm sure they'll upgrade it to output FULL HD 1080p soon maybe just a firmware upgrade? or maybe the 2nd generation.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Kinda on-topic -- I just got my LNT4665F yesterday from Amazon (Eagle) and it works great with my AppleTV, sorta. Resolution wise, yes, you can set it to 1080i or 720p and to tell you the truth, I didn't see too much of a difference. The issue I'm having is with my HDMI connections and lack of sound.

The configuration I'm trying to use Is the Sammy and AppleTV and sound coming through my 10 year old Yamaha receiver. The Sammy has an Digital Optical (Toslink) out port and my Yamaha receiver has a Toslink in port. When I use my AppleTV with component cable to the TV everything works great. Picture looks great and the sound gets routed through to the receiver and I have great sound. I'm also doing this with my Wii (on component cables as well) and if I wanted to I could be running my DVD the same way.

The problem comes in when I try to switch over to HDMI cables for either my AppleTV and/or DVD player. I completely lose sound. I swapped out cables and switched HDMI ports on the TV and still no sound from either the receiver OR TV. Yet, trying to hook up a stereo cable (red & white) from the AppleTV to an extra connection on stereo doesn't help either....until I yank either the digital optical cable out OR the HDMI cable. Then I hear sound on either my TV or stereo depending on what is still connected.

I really want to use HDMI cables for my devices (single cable, etc.). And the component cable is my sisters so I'd have to buy one of those. And I only have the one open connection on my stereo. So I'm screwed until I can figure out this HDMI mess.

Just something to be aware of and if anybody has any thoughts/solutions, please share.

UpQuark

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
Zushi, Japan
Do a google search...the audio and HDMI with samsung is a know issue

Kinda on-topic -- I just got my LNT4665F yesterday from Amazon (Eagle) and it works great with my AppleTV, sorta. Resolution wise, yes, you can set it to 1080i or 720p and to tell you the truth, I didn't see too much of a difference. The issue I'm having is with my HDMI connections and lack of sound.

The configuration I'm trying to use Is the Sammy and AppleTV and sound coming through my 10 year old Yamaha receiver. The Sammy has an Digital Optical (Toslink) out port and my Yamaha receiver has a Toslink in port. When I use my AppleTV with component cable to the TV everything works great. Picture looks great and the sound gets routed through to the receiver and I have great sound. I'm also doing this with my Wii (on component cables as well) and if I wanted to I could be running my DVD the same way.

The problem comes in when I try to switch over to HDMI cables for either my AppleTV and/or DVD player. I completely lose sound. I swapped out cables and switched HDMI ports on the TV and still no sound from either the receiver OR TV. Yet, trying to hook up a stereo cable (red & white) from the AppleTV to an extra connection on stereo doesn't help either....until I yank either the digital optical cable out OR the HDMI cable. Then I hear sound on either my TV or stereo depending on what is still connected.

I really want to use HDMI cables for my devices (single cable, etc.). And the component cable is my sisters so I'd have to buy one of those. And I only have the one open connection on my stereo. So I'm screwed until I can figure out this HDMI mess.

Just something to be aware of and if anybody has any thoughts/solutions, please share.

I recommend using a TOS digital cable from the appletv to the amp.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I recommend using a TOS digital cable from the appletv to the amp.

I had tried a google search before and saw issues with Samsung's DVD players but not with TV's. I spoke with Samsung tech support and it turned out my DVD player had to have HDMI audio turned on. In regards to the AppleTV, I found some answers up on their support discussion boards and confirmed by a call to their tech support. It turns out it is an acknowledged issue by Apple that they have an HDMI 1.3 audio bug (seems to be isolated only to the latest LNT model Sammy's) and they are working on a fix. Hopefully will be out in the next s/w update.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4490122&#4490122

And your suggestion for the TOSlink from the AppleTV to the receiver won't work for me. I'm trying to eliminate as many cable as I can so I'm going digital optical from the TV to the receiver's port. This way I hook up my components (AppleTV, Wii, DVD, etc.) to the TV and then send the sound back to the receiver over the optical cable. I'm also pretty much out of connections on the receiver so I have to do it this way.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
mines works with my samsung 40" lcd

Which model of Samsung do you have? What I have heard (and Apple tech confirmed) is this is an issue with the newer LNT (ie LN-T4665) Samsung LCD TV's. And this is also isolated to HDMI audio (video works fine) as I've had no problems with component audio/video either.

srey777

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Sound doesn't work with latest model 46" Samsung

:( I too can concur. I just purchased an Apple TV today. Came home plugged it into my brand new Samsung LNT4665F. Awesome picture, no sound. I hope Apple comes up with a fix for this very soon. Meanwhile I'll try to rout the sound through my Sound System.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
:( I too can concur. I just purchased an Apple TV today. Came home plugged it into my brand new Samsung LNT4665F. Awesome picture, no sound. I hope Apple comes up with a fix for this very soon. Meanwhile I'll try to rout the sound through my Sound System.
I'm having the same problem. I just got my Samsung 1080p 40 inch TV today (Model LNT4061F) and its a great picture but absolutely no sound at all using an HDMI cable. I have an optical cable but I'd have to set up my receiver which I have packed away since I just got home from college. Anyone know of any fixes for this?

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm having the same problem. I just got my Samsung 1080p 40 inch TV today (Model LNT4061F) and its a great picture but absolutely no sound at all using an HDMI cable. I have an optical cable but I'd have to set up my receiver which I have packed away since I just got home from college. Anyone know of any fixes for this?

Component cables or wait until Apple fixes their HDMI bug.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Actually, certain model Samsung HDTVs are notorious for having HDMI problems with other devices like satellite receivers, cable set top boxes, etc. A friend of mine has one that wouldn't work with his DirecTV HD receiver via HDMI, so he has to use component cables instead. Since the Apple TV doesn't pass 1080p source material anyway, you shouldn't notice any loss in picture quality by going with the component video connection.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Since the Apple TV doesn't pass 1080p source material anyway, you shouldn't notice any loss in picture quality by going with the component video connection.
It's not the loss in video quality I'm worried about, I just don't want to use the last component cable when I could easily use HDMI. Hopefully Apple will come out with a fix for it.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
We have two ATVs and two Samsung LCD TVs. The older TV and the ATV work fine together (audio and video). The new TV (1 month old, new model) has intermittent sound (it works most of the time but just drops out from time to time). What I found works to correct the problem here is to cycle the "source" button on the Samsung TV remote control through all the choices and set it back to the ATV source when the audio drops out. Every time I do this the audio comes back for quite a while.

I also hope that the first software update for the ATV fixes this problem.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.