Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyFirstMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2007
OK - since you folks are excellent in all things FileMaker - here's my goal:

I need to create a printable membership directory and think FileMaker is a perfect app to do so.

I need to place pictures of the members in the directory.

I'm hoping to import filenames (i.e. "directory\firstlast.jpg") into the database so when I import it, the filename can simply pull up the picture and place it in the correct location.

I'm assuming I need to use a Container and likely another databse to link each other to but haven't gotten anything to work yet.

Suggestions?

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
OK - since you folks are excellent in all things FileMaker - here's my goal:

I need to create a printable membership directory and think FileMaker is a perfect app to do so.

I need to place pictures of the members in the directory.

I'm hoping to import filenames (i.e. "directory\firstlast.jpg") into the database so when I import it, the filename can simply pull up the picture and place it in the correct location.

I'm assuming I need to use a Container and likely another databse to link each other to but haven't gotten anything to work yet.

Suggestions?

If you have a container field and you do an import of text into it and the text is a file path it will import the picture.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Do you want to save the picture within the database or link to an external file?

You can easily do both.

MyFirstMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Do you want to save the picture within the database or link to an external file?

You can easily do both.

Thanks for the suggestion above and for this question as well. I'd want to save the picture within the database...but allow for reimportation whenever I update the original filename.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.