PDA

View Full Version : PS3 (Impressions after 4 months)

Shacklebolt
May 18, 2007, 04:49 PM
<sigh>

I never use this thing. Well, that's not true. I use it to play DVDs, and it does indeed still match my television nicely, but that's it.

I do own three games - VF5, RFOM and MLB 2K7 - but I haven't found any of them compelling enough to keep me playing.

I miss my 360 (in another state) badly. I can't think of any way, at all, that the PS3 (other than cosmetically and noise-wise) is superior to the 360.

My advice - until there are actually some exciting games for PS3, there is no reason to own one.

risc
May 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
Okay then...

I'm the exact opposite I play my PS3 nearly everyday, it gets a lot more love than my 360 ever did.

Shacklebolt
May 18, 2007, 05:58 PM
Oh? What games?

Dagless
May 18, 2007, 06:10 PM
I can't tell if Risc is being sarcastic there. Especially going off his previous avocation for the 360 and dismissal of the Wii for it's small library of games...

sikkinixx
May 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
I don't play mine that much either, although I play Calling All Cars quite a bit now and watch tons of Blu-Ray movies on it. This game drought really sucks the big one....

My Wii is unplugged (no sense in wasting power and the stupid LED bugs me in the middle of the night) as I wait for Mario Galaxy.

I actually play my 360 *gasp* a lot lately. Tomb Raider was $15 new and Gears of War Co-Op is pretty fun with a buddy so the inch of dust that it had gotten since xmas is gone now! *yay*

Nothing like seeing $1000 worth of hardware sitting idle because of crappy software *sigh*

risc
May 18, 2007, 06:18 PM
I can't tell if Risc is being sarcastic there. Especially going off his previous avocation for the 360 and dismissal of the Wii for it's small library of games...

No I am not being sarcastic. The PS3 is my favourite console of this generation.

Oh? What games?

At the moment I'm playing a lot of Oblivion, Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5, Ridge Racer 7, and Resistance: Fall of Man.

I also have Motorstorm, NBA Street Homecourt, Fight Night Round 3, and Armored Core 4, but they aren't getting much love at the moment as I re-embrace my love of Oblivion (the best RPG ever imo).

michaelltd
May 18, 2007, 06:39 PM
The 360 has definitely been getting most of my attention.

The only time I've been firing up the Wii was to revisit Resident Evil ReMake, and that's a GameCube game.

DarkNetworks
May 19, 2007, 08:24 AM
mine arrived today and I'm absolutely loving it! :D

gkarris
May 19, 2007, 09:25 AM
I'm hearing it's just out a year too early.

More games, movies, and a price drop to $499 and it will become the system to get!

Saving up for one this Christmas...

steamboat26
May 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
I haven't played my wii at all since i got my 360. As fun as the motion controls are, XBOX live blows it away. I am just waiting for some of the big name games for the wii to come out....

dalvin200
May 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
a couple of my friends have got ps3's and now they are back to playing ps2 games.. i mean.. what's the point?

they paid 425 on release, played resistance and motorstorm for a few weeks.. and that's that.. lol!!

ps3 arrived too late in the day with not much to offer from the outset.. let's see how you fair in 6-12 months time..

gloss
May 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
I play PS2 games, Blu-Ray movies, and Calling All Cars.

I'm waiting for Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and some good JRPG or another.

sam10685
May 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
Price drop and it's mine. (Looks pretty neat... Nice games this fall.)

MacRumorUser
May 20, 2007, 02:54 PM
All console wise, I really havent been playing much.

PS3: I've played the odd game of Oblivion lately, and watched a few BD movies.

That's all my PS3 is doing, but in fairness, my Nintendo Wii hasnt even been plugged in in what seems months. My Xbox 360 gets the occasional blast of GH2 in 5 minute stretches.

edit: Saw the new Ratchet and Clank trailer. That looks very good, so my PS3 will definetly get some attention when that comes out. Finally PS3 games starting to look up to scratch.

tim2006
May 31, 2007, 09:31 AM
I asked this question around launch, will the PS3 getter better in terms of some great games and increased sales? If the sales stay under 100,000, PS3 is dead in the U.S. I think with a price cut and one game PS3 will be fine. Adam Sessler had some positive things to say about PS3 at Sony gamer day. What does everyone else think, would anyone buy the PS3 over the 360?:cool:

MacRumorUser
May 31, 2007, 09:40 AM
What does everyone else think, would anyone buy the PS3 over the 360?:cool:

Plenty of people have.

The PS3 will see some great games towards Fall and stuff that pushes the machine to its limits, but...... by that time also the 360 will have a heap of ultra killer titles also - so who really knows ?

Gamers are fickle, and if anything I think this has been good for Sony because it's given them the kick up the bum they sorely needed for starting to lose contact of what 'gamers' want from a machine, and the fact that people have wisened up to marketing spin this generation.

I think in the end (4 or so years time), both the 360 and PS3 will probably have the same marketshare, and that market get's bigger and bigger every year. So despite maybe not having the lead over it's competitors - I imagine Sony will still end up selling more units than the PS2.

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think in the end (4 or so years time), both the 360 and PS3 will probably have the same marketshare, and that market get's bigger and bigger every year. So despite maybe not having the lead over it's competitors - I imagine Sony will still end up selling more units than the PS2.

Are you at all serious?

Do you really think the PS3 can outsell the PS2? The PS2 sold >>100 million units. It sold four-five times more than either competitor.

Honestly, I think it's going to be much more even this time. You agreed, as you think 360 and PS3 are going to have similar marketshare. But for the XBox 360 and PS3 to have similar sales, the PS3 will have to sell LESS than the PS2 did and the XBox 360 will have to sell MORE than the original XBox did.

Honestly, I'm predicting Wii > 360 > PS3, but with all of them being pretty close together (Wii selling the most because of Japanese love and being ridiculously low price, 360 selling a lot because of strong Western developer support and decent Japanese support, and PS3 dropping to third because of weakening 3rd party support; but still at least outselling the GameCube).

But really, unless you think the market is going to expand at far greater rates than it has been, it's extremely unlikely that ANY system this time around is going to outsell the PS2 unless that system is *way* ahead of it's competitors like the PS2 was.

Dagless
May 31, 2007, 09:49 PM
I think the only system that has a chance of beating the PS2 are Nintendo handhelds. the GBA is close now, I even read that it passed PS2 at one point. But it's dying now. Purely based on marketting I think the Wii has this gen, meh. same as Praxis. There's such a smaller market for Sony this time round.
On topic- I played a bit on Motorstorm and Resistance on a 32" SDTV and wasn't particularly bowled over. Nothing has appealed to me in these first few months so I'm back to playing the most played next gen game - the waiting game.

mfacey
Jul 15, 2007, 04:59 AM
Are you at all serious?

Do you really think the PS3 can outsell the PS2? The PS2 sold >>100 million units. It sold four-five times more than either competitor.

Honestly, I think it's going to be much more even this time. You agreed, as you think 360 and PS3 are going to have similar marketshare. But for the XBox 360 and PS3 to have similar sales, the PS3 will have to sell LESS than the PS2 did and the XBox 360 will have to sell MORE than the original XBox did.

Honestly, I'm predicting Wii > 360 > PS3, but with all of them being pretty close together (Wii selling the most because of Japanese love and being ridiculously low price, 360 selling a lot because of strong Western developer support and decent Japanese support, and PS3 dropping to third because of weakening 3rd party support; but still at least outselling the GameCube).

But really, unless you think the market is going to expand at far greater rates than it has been, it's extremely unlikely that ANY system this time around is going to outsell the PS2 unless that system is *way* ahead of it's competitors like the PS2 was.

I think a lot of current buyers of the 360 have yet to be convinced by the technical superiority of the PS3. First of all, none of the ps3 software developers have come close to processing and graphics boundaries of the PS3. Technically, it is by far the most advanced console on the market. Also, once the developers are on track, it still requires (ideally) a full-HD TV, which plenty of people don't have. Until that time people will see little reason to spend $200 extra on a PS3.

The major weakness of the 360 is that its only a DVD player out of the box. This means that the PS3 has the advantage of being able to make huge games and unparalleled virtual environments that everybody with a PS3 can use.

We've already seen that the public has responded really well to the $100 price drop on the PS3, so there definitely is interest.

The Wii is a great machine but I fear that it doesn't appear to the die hard gaming public. My impression is that a lot of people are buying a Wii that didn't have any console previously. In that respect they're in a different market than the 360 and the PS3. It also makes it less surprising that its outselling both consoles.

flappo
Jul 15, 2007, 05:21 AM
resistance fall of man on line is a wonderful experience , as is rainbow 6

then there's motorstorm for racing , tekken 5hd for fighters and cod3 for fps/pc games

then there's always blu ray and upscaling dvd's and the camera card input slots for leisure , oh and you can rip cd's to it and even go on line if you want

you can even upgrade the hd easily

for 400 i'd call that a bargain

can any pc do that - for that money ????

ReanimationLP
Jul 15, 2007, 05:25 AM
I dont think the PlayStation3 will ever be like the sales success the PlayStation and the PlayStation2 were.

Its $600 dollars. ($500 if you pick up their 60GB model thats on clearance.)

Dagless
Jul 15, 2007, 05:59 AM
can any pc do that - for that money ????

Please don't try and compare the PS3 to a computer. Unless you want to look at it from another angle of the PS3 being crippled by 256mb ram. Can any self respecting computer run on that much ram? :rolleyes:

djstarrock
Jul 15, 2007, 08:07 AM
I think the PS3 is ugly to shiny the 360 looks better.

synth3tik
Jul 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
My first thought was it was crap and that has remained the same. Basically I figure if a company needs to limit the supply of its product to build hype, then it's not worth the hype.

APPLEFAN8
Jul 15, 2007, 08:57 AM
I love mineI use mine like everyday! I love it!

Coded-Dude
Jul 15, 2007, 11:14 AM
My first thought was it was crap and that has remained the same. Basically I figure if a company needs to limit the supply of its product to build hype, then it's not worth the hype.

Are you talking about the PS3?....If so, please elaborate.

Dagless
Jul 15, 2007, 11:39 AM
Over here the shops had posters up saying "few units remaining", despite being in plentiful supply. I can see why they would though - every other system in the UK since the DS has sold out.

That's more the shops, not Sony themselves however.

gloss
Jul 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
My opinion of the PS3 thus far:

Blu-ray + PS2 + Super Stardust HD.

I'll wait until some worthwhile games come out later this year before I really drop the hammer.

Coded-Dude
Jul 15, 2007, 01:40 PM
WEll if Sony paid em to put up those posters....thats one thing, but it sounds more like the shops trying "gimmicks" to get em out the door. They seem to go in bursts around here. Local shops could have 6-12 for a few weeks, then all of a sudden they are out(with limited supply for the next few weeks).

flappo
Jul 15, 2007, 02:33 PM
Please don't try and compare the PS3 to a computer. Unless you want to look at it from another angle of the PS3 being crippled by 256mb ram. Can any self respecting computer run on that much ram? :rolleyes:

precisely my point

plus it has much lower os overheads than the average pc , it does use linux after all . so is vaguely related to the mac and people have tried running os-x on it as it uses a derivative of the power pc

Dagless
Jul 15, 2007, 02:50 PM
precisely my point

Precisely your point?
So, the PS3 can't compete with computers in the market? Hell, for £430 I can build a custom PC that will run all the current PC games, with TV cards, video and image editing suites et al. For a quarter of that price I could build a Linux machine with 256mb of Ram and have it do run of the mill media streaming and web browsing. I could even build a comparable Linux machine for free.

If we're playing this game, then what about PS2 linux or iPod linux? Limited pieces of software that do not compare to an actual computer based around multitasking. I don't even think I've seen a computer in the past 6 years with 256mb ram.

mfacey
Jul 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
Precisely your point?
So, the PS3 can't compete with computers in the market? Hell, for 430 I can build a custom PC that will run all the current PC games, with TV cards, video and image editing suites et al. For a quarter of that price I could build a Linux machine with 256mb of Ram and have it do run of the mill media streaming and web browsing. I could even build a comparable Linux machine for free.

If we're playing this game, then what about PS2 linux or iPod linux? Limited pieces of software that do not compare to an actual computer based around multitasking. I don't even think I've seen a computer in the past 6 years with 256mb ram.

By far the most expensive parts in the PS3 are the Blu-ray drive and the cell processor. As soon as you'd configure your custom PC with those two parts you'd be hard pressed to keep within the PS3 price range, I'd say.

Stating that its only has 256MB of ram is also not really relevant. The system is optimized for gaming and media, so I doesn't need anymore.

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2007, 06:04 AM
The system is optimized for gaming and media, so I doesn't need anymore.

No but some developers have been kicking up that the memory cant be divided like the 360's 512mb can, so that the gpu can have more than 256 if needs be.

Well not entirely true it can, but not efficiently at all with the hardware so developers are stuck in practice to the 256mb.

Seems that we will get games with realy nice polygon count, but bad textures. You only have to look at the MGS4 or Killzone2 trailers to see this in evidence.

Dagless
Jul 16, 2007, 06:08 AM
Stating that its only has 256MB of ram is also not really relevant. The system is optimized for gaming and media, so I doesn't need anymore.

Exactly. The guy said the PS3 can be a computer, so the RAM point is very important. As a gaming machine it's less important.

gloss
Jul 16, 2007, 07:54 AM
Seems that we will get games with realy nice polygon count, but bad textures. You only have to look at the MGS4 or Killzone2 trailers to see this in evidence.

I have noticed that. Seems like they try to mask it a lot of the time with motion blur and bloom lighting.

It really was a lousy engineering move on Sony's part. Not just to release the console with such a glaring weakness compared to the 360's hardware, but that they had a year to do something about it.

I think it just goes to show that ol' Ken definitely didn't have programmers and game developers in mind when he masterminded the system.

coffey7
Jul 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
When the PS3 comes out with a must have game then I will buy one. or if bluray wins hands down over HD DVD then it will be time to pick one up.

MacRumorUser
Jul 18, 2007, 04:03 AM
When the PS3 comes out with a must have game then I will buy one. or if bluray wins hands down over HD DVD then it will be time to pick one up.

A strange report was published here the other day that BluRay was outselling HD-DVD at retail, however..... the research did not differentiate between BluRay movies & games for PS3 and crammed them all together as one, making the findings some what artificial. Which is just bizarre.

siurpeeman
Jul 18, 2007, 04:06 AM
until there are actually some exciting games for PS3, there is no reason to own one.

exactly right. the only games i'd be interested in right now are metal gear solid, final fantasy and tekken (friends are fans of the fighter). even then, three games don't fully justify the purchase of a ps3. i'm not excited, nor am i looking forward to the use of blu-ray. sony, give me something to get excited about!

mfacey
Jul 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
exactly right. the only games i'd be interested in right now are metal gear solid, final fantasy and tekken (friends are fans of the fighter). even then, three games don't fully justify the purchase of a ps3. i'm not excited, nor am i looking forward to the use of blu-ray. sony, give me something to get excited about!

Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo are two great upcoming games that look great. I also have MotorStorm and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, both of which are superb games. I can't wait until developers figure out how to unleash the real power of the PS3 and really use the huge capacity of Blu-ray. There's great potential for sure.

For that matter there's not really any games on the Wii that are really worth owning either. Nintendo's lack of really appealing content is what put me off the Wii.

steamboat26
Jul 19, 2007, 09:24 AM
^ I can understand how gran turismo is a must have game because i love all the GT games. But, I can get GTA:IV and Elder Scrolls Oblivion on my 360. Also DiRT and Forza 2 are close enough to Motorstorm and GT for me.

gloss
Jul 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
from what I've heard, DiRT > MotorStorm. I'll have to try it when they get around to releasing it on PS3.

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
It's the games with no similarites I'm looking forward to.

Uncharterd, Lair, Little Big Adventure, LocoRoco PSN, Ratchet & Clank.

Seems most of these would fall into the 'platformer' catagory abliet with puzzle, action, adventure sub catagory. A black hole of a area the 360 is actually pretty lacking in.

GT5 I couldnt care two hoot's about as I hate driving sims. (this applies to Forza too)

MGS4, well I cant resist buying the Metal Gear games, just to give them a chance - but mostly because of the hype, but I always end up get bored and fustrated and have no desire to play any further. Hate the controls, hate the characters. This time I will not fall for the hype .. No MGS4 for me.

WarHawk, I was very interested in but, as I'm not in an online playing mood lately and with this being online only - it kind of rules itself out of the running.

And the other goodies,

Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill etc.... are all multiplatform and hence to me are no longer system sellers in their own right.

Osarkon
Jul 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't even think I've seen a computer in the past 6 years with 256mb ram.

Really? I still see computers with 256mb of ram, even some with 128mb.

Back onto topic, I played the ps3 at a friend's when it first came out, and although the graphics have been improved, the gameplay itself didn't hold my attention. I played Virtua Fighter and some other game that I can't recall, but the distinct impression I got was of a ps2 with better graphics.

The 360 is doing well because it's been out long enough for a decent games library to amass for it - the Wii and PS3 have a long way to go to catch up. Once they do catch up, it'll be interesting to see what the impressions are then.

Dagless
Jul 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
It's the games with no similarites I'm looking forward to.

Uncharterd, Lair, Little Big Adventure, LocoRoco PSN, Ratchet & Clank.

No similarities? They're hybrids.

Unchartered? Farcry meets Tomb Raider.
LBA? Yoshis Story meets Lost Vikings.
Lair? Panzer Dragoon meets Rogue Leader.

I'll give you the other 2 ;)

Which is what I've been saying in that other thread, games are so unoriginal now. Even the Wii stuff. Ho hum.

ChrisK018
Jul 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
No similarities? They're hybrids.

Unchartered? Farcry meets Tomb Raider.
LBA? Yoshis Story meets Lost Vikings.
Lair? Panzer Dragoon meets Rogue Leader.

I'll give you the other 2 ;)

Which is what I've been saying in that other thread, games are so unoriginal now. Even the Wii stuff. Ho hum.

That's a bit strict. As the gaming landscape becomes more and more clogged with similar games it's easy to dismiss everything as derivative-because just about every single game is these days. I think MRU is on the right track-- expressing interest in games that are not cookie cutter copies.

Oh... isn't Ratchet and Clank usually made with the same engine as Jak and Dexter? Not that I mind-- I play them both.

Apple a Day
Jul 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
Blu-ray (I use a lot!), media card readers, wireless internet, bigger HD, HDMI out, rechargeable bluetooth controllers, free online access!!!, Cell processor for the future! Holy Hell, how can anyone say xbox is better except for more games, which will ocme for the PS3! Oh, by the way, Microsoft?!?!?! Who the hell wants anything they produce? I also hear about xboxes catching on fire? Doesn't surprise me! I think people are jealous because they are poor and cannot afford it! No excuse anymore.... they are $100 cheaper! By the way, i know that the xbox now has the ultimate edition xbox (or was it the business, home, office, upgrade, professional, corporate, et al edition?) LOL! Now only one PS3, the best one! PS3 WAY BETTER!

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
...fanboi? :p

Blu-ray (I use a lot!), media card readers, wireless internet, bigger HD, HDMI out, rechargeable bluetooth controllers, free online access!!!, Cell processor for the future! Holy Hell, how can anyone say xbox is better except for more games, which will ocme for the PS3! Oh, by the way, Microsoft?!?!?! Who the hell wants anything they produce? I also hear about xboxes catching on fire? Doesn't surprise me! I think people are jealous because they are poor and cannot afford it! No excuse anymore.... they are $100 cheaper! By the way, i know that the xbox now has the ultimate edition xbox (or was it the business, home, office, upgrade, professional, corporate, et al edition?) LOL! Now only one PS3, the best one! PS3 WAY BETTER!

Don't care, no use, use wired, don't care, component is just as good, have 2400mah Energizers, free unmoderated online services with poor integration < Xbox Live, Cell hard to develop on < Xenon is easy, Microsoft has plenty of exclusives just like Sony. Xboxes on fire? That is soooo three years ago. Jealous/poor? Sorry...don't feel like wasting money, that's not poor, as for jealously, LOL if you get jealous over someone else's property or the things they have, you have other issues altogether.

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
...fanboi? :p

Zero your so funny :D

Edit. Oh and I wish people would stop coming out with CELL for the future ? :rolleyes:

For peat's sake I want games now, I want proof of the investment in hardware I've made now. Besides there is no such thing as FutureProof, it's an utter oxi-moron, and folks that keep using it in relation to computer hardware need to have their head attached to an electroshock therapy unit. In 5 years time the landscape of chips will have changed and the CELL will be equally just as dated as a Pentium3 is seen now.

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
Zero your so funny :D

Thanks bro ;)
glad to see Mr. Kutaragi is keeping busy in his 'retirement' though, visiting us normal peeps here @ MR :D

Which reminds me...homeboy here forgot to mention '4D'. :p

takao
Jul 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
Really? I still see computers with 256mb of ram, even some with 128mb.

i hope not on brand new computers since my computer from 1998 had already 128 mb

let me guess: those computers are eMacs ;) (which people seriously defended being only equipped with 128 mb ram when i join this boards: "it's totally enough for OS X" :rolleyes:)

GFLPraxis
Jul 19, 2007, 01:11 PM

Okay, just no.

Blu-ray is only useful IF HD-DVD loses AND one has a HDTV, and has absolutely nothing to do with games.

Media card readers are a nice footnote, but only a minor feature when you have gigabytes of hard drive space already. My Wii reads SD cards anyway.

WiFi is a big point, actually. +1 to PS3.
Only because Microsoft charges obscene amounts ($99) for WiFi.

HDMI isn't that important. Many HDTV's don't have it and the quality difference is nearly indistinguishable.

Cell processor is the future? Are you joking? Cell has advantages for certain types of tasks, but it's hardly the future. You won't be seeing Cell-based PCs any time soon, just specialized devices. Cell should make the PS3 better for some physics stuff, but it also has significant disadvantages such as being more expensive, being much harder to code for, and actually being worse for certain types of calculations.

You know, the Sega Saturn's overly complex processor scared developers away rather than helping it.

I totally agree that Microsoft is a company that generally makes crap products and which I would rather not see anywhere near the game market, but they've actually made a good product this time; take your blinders off.

GFLPraxis
Jul 19, 2007, 01:14 PM
For that matter there's not really any games on the Wii that are really worth owning either. Nintendo's lack of really appealing content is what put me off the Wii.

Unique system launch blues. The DS's library for the first year was almost entirely GBA up-ports with a touch screen added and N64 down-ports with a virtual analog stick, because developers were scared of such a different system until they realized how well it was selling.

Same with the Wii, devs are all jumping on board at the last minute, and that's why we're seeing all the PS2 ports with waggle added.

Check the Wii's upcoming games lineup. 2007 holiday season and 2008 have some great stuff in the pipeline and I'm expecting to see the quality of third-party Wii games increase exponentially.

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
Unique system launch blues. The DS's library for the first year was almost entirely GBA up-ports with a touch screen added and N64 down-ports with a virtual analog stick, because developers were scared of such a different system until they realized how well it was selling.

God yeah the DS first year was dire, with a real bunch of crappy titles. Thankfully things kicked off - but there is a difference.

The DS slow start matched its sales, a lot of people delayed or put off buying the system until those real tites kicked in.

But the Wii is a victim of it's own success. Unlike the DS it's launched to unprecedented demand. Unfortunetly this means that there are a lot of people out there waiting for follow up's that simply are still only on the distant horizon.

I agree 2008 may indeed be a great year for software for the Wii, but.....
With so many wii's lingering and festering on shelves, in home entertainment cabinets - that early audience may have lost all interest in the system by the time the games are finally available for them.

Osarkon
Jul 19, 2007, 01:46 PM
i hope not on brand new computers since my computer from 1998 had already 128 mb

let me guess: those computers are eMacs ;) (which people seriously defended being only equipped with 128 mb ram when i join this boards: "it's totally enough for OS X" :rolleyes:)

Not on brand new computers as of about mid last year. It's still very rare to see new computers with 1gig of Ram around here though. I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about 700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about £700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

That's because your in Wales :p Just as bad here, I'm in rural Ireland and up until last year tey were still promoting ISDN as high speed internet :D

In fairness though I was surprised earlier when I went shopping. You can go into Tesco here, buy a decent laptop with 15.4" screen, Athlon X64 dualcore processor, 120gb hdd, dvd +RW writer, Built in Wifi, Vista Home Premium and amazingly 2gb memory and then ontop of that they give you a free carry case for €699 (£475) which I thought was exceedingly good value.

And only €60 more than a PS3 ;)

Apple a Day
Jul 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
I thought I would offer my dissenting opinion as it seems that few people tend to be fair-minded nowadays. Most of the hatred toward the PS3 is unwarranted and simply trash. The PS3 is an exceptional system and hardly deserves the crap it gets, especially with all the additional features I mentioned in an earlier post (in addition to the few features MS gives you in their product). Once the PS3 comes out with more games there will be little incentive to have XBOX360 over PS3. Not that I hate the XBOX360! Let the hating begin...

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 03:22 PM
I thought I would offer my dissenting opinion as it seems that few people tend to be fair-minded nowadays. Most of the hatred toward the PS3 is unwarranted and simply trash. The PS3 is an exceptional system and hardly deserves the crap it gets, especially with all the additional features I mentioned in an earlier post (in addition to the few features MS gives you in their product). Once the PS3 comes out with more games there will be little incentive to have XBOX360 over PS3. Not that I hate the XBOX360! Let the hating begin...

Most people on here are pretty unbiased and 'in the middle'; at least the higher-post count posters are.

That being said, there are certainly posters who clearly favor one system over others. And there are also some posters who bash one over the other for no logical reason. :confused:

I own a 360 and Wii and have said so many times now I've lost count :D that I will purchase a [used 20gig] Ps3 when God of War 3 comes out (and now, also WipeOut). Until then, as a 360 owner, I have no incentive to purchase a Ps3 at this time. I think for the most part, most owners of one or the other on here feel the same way; IMO without tons of exclusives yet, it's not really feasible to own both the 360 and Ps3 unless you're rich like MRU. :D LOL ;)

Sure, you get more features in the Ps3. You also pay more; like the saying goes, you pay for what you get. I don't consider deciding to buy only what you want to be "poor", I consider that "smart" and "thrifty". Despite what others say, I think Microsoft did the right thing in releasing a system with a lot of features that most people can use, for a lower price...rather than throwing tons of features in there with a large price tag and say "buy it or don't get it at all".

takao
Jul 19, 2007, 03:23 PM
Not on brand new computers as of about mid last year. It's still very rare to see new computers with 1gig of Ram around here though. I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about 700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

well looking through the local big store offers they have 1 computer with 512 and that's a toshiba laptop for 599 or so .. every thing else has at least 1 gig or 2

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 03:24 PM
it's not really feasible to own both the 360 and Ps3 unless you're rich like MRU. :D LOL ;)

:p my bank account say's otherwise :D :p

I think you should replace rich with crazy ;)

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
Eh you only live once ;)

I just contributed to our Sears card debt last week by ordering a new 22" LCD for our PC, although the old one was in dire need of replacement. :D

Debt schmedt...gotta enjoy life. Even if sometimes life (or it's many purchases) is crazy :)

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
Debt schmedt...gotta enjoy life. Even if sometimes life (or it's many purchases) is crazy :)

LOL! were going to hell I tell you. Thankfully I dont think they can track us down there :D

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Dead people don't have to pay bills :D LOL heh heh
I wonder if sunblock helps with all the heat down there...may have to pick up some SPF-2000000000 sunblock on the way home today ;)

gkarris
Jul 19, 2007, 03:48 PM
Dead people don't have to pay bills :D LOL heh heh
;)

Around Chicago, they do come out and "vote".. :p

takao
Jul 19, 2007, 04:14 PM
God yeah the DS first year was dire, with a real bunch of crappy titles. Thankfully things kicked off - but there is a difference.

The DS slow start matched its sales, a lot of people delayed or put off buying the system until those real tites kicked in.

But the Wii is a victim of it's own success. Unlike the DS it's launched to unprecedented demand. Unfortunetly this means that there are a lot of people out there waiting for follow up's that simply are still only on the distant horizon.

I agree 2008 may indeed be a great year for software for the Wii, but.....
With so many wii's lingering and festering on shelves, in home entertainment cabinets - that early audience may have lost all interest in the system by the time the games are finally available for them.

true words but on the other side the very same may also happen to everybody else as well, even more so with RPGs which many are waiting for on every platform

on the DS: sure it had a slow start but which games finally made them skyrocket ? mario kart and animal crossing ? (all sold better than halo 1)
nintendogs sold better than gears of war, halo and oblivion(all versions) combined
to sum it up it's quite difficult to predict who is going to come out on top or what happens in 1 year .. after all the ps1 and ps2 1st year wasn't even close in lineup quality compared to the wii or ps3 or 360

also it needs to be said that just because a game is multiplattform, not so high profile in gaming forums because it got ported over doesn't mean it's bad or not entertaining: just like i'm having fun with scarface for the wii at the moment despite being a ps2 port (actually scarface for the wii sold out around here in stores ... i guess they didn't expect that)

just because people on the internet are waiting doesn't mean that they are doing it in real life as well,especially the whole non gaming-forum crowd

Coded-Dude
Jul 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
"first year was dire"

Which is why I don't understand all the harsh criticism about PS3's lack of games.....in 08/09 there will be tons of content for people to enjoy. (it starts this fall, but early next year will be even bigger)

2nyRiggz
Jul 19, 2007, 05:03 PM
"first year was dire"

Which is why I don't understand all the harsh criticism about PS3's lack of games.....in 08/09 there will be tons of content for people to enjoy. (it starts this fall, but early next year will be even bigger)

This is the major complaint with everyone now....but like I've been saying from the begining...this won't be a problem sooner than later because the games are coming. After the PS3 dry spell whats left to talk about....I'm sure the haters will find much to sink there teeth into.

I say just enjoy your system...I enjoy mines...except the wii(this one gets no love from me until I start seeing some games):D

Bless

Dagless
Jul 19, 2007, 05:05 PM
(this one gets no love from me until I start seeing some games):D

I believe that's the argument from the anti-PS3 boys ;)

2nyRiggz
Jul 19, 2007, 05:10 PM
^You are correct sir.....both consoles lack games but whats out right now I'm enjoying the PS3 line up better plus I'm not seeing too many wii games I'm interested in....this can change though....don't know if it can change for the anti-PS3 boys though;)

Bless

Dagless
Jul 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
Don't need too with all the leaking exclusives :D

But this is getting to be a joke now, another daily "MGS4 is coming to 360" piece http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/19/oxm-rumor-mole-mgs4-on-360-months-after-ps3/

zero2dash
Jul 19, 2007, 06:13 PM
In the most recent Rumor Mole section, OXM declares that a "bankable source" told them that Metal Gear Solid 4 is definitely coming to Xbox 360. The game is reportedly being ported by a separate team -- which isn't headed by Hideo Kojima -- and should ship "a few months" after the PS3 version.

Considering the ever-mounting rumors and Konami's own comments on the matter, it's starting to look like the only thing missing is an official announcement.

Makes sense.
Kojima said he'll only do a Ps3 version, so they get someone else to port it since Kojima won't do it himself. They'll sell it for $60 and make tons of money on the 360 version. Again, makes sense.

Either way though, I'm so tired of hearing about this (and as I stated in the other thread...I'm looking more forward to Splinter Cell: Conviction), so truthfully I could care less either way. If it comes out, I'll buy it for the 360, but there's no way in hell I'll buy a Ps3 for MGS4; it's just not a must-own system seller for me personally. :o

Apple a Day
Jul 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
I believe that's the argument from the anti-PS3 boys ;)

Why is there such a thing as anti-ps3 guys? That is so childish! I gave a contradictory argument to all the anti-ps3 hype. I repeat....hype.... bunch of losers who hate their own lives and it reflects in their own deep hatred for silly things! XBOX 360, Wii, PS3.....who gives a crap, just don't use the word HATE....losers:)

Dagless
Jul 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
You gave reasons, congrats and that. But I don't agree with them. They dropped the ball so many times that I'm not going to bother mentioning them again. I have my reasons for not liking it, I didn't use the word hate, my comment was merely a reply to 2ny and not to undermine your comment ;)
I wouldn't even need to read about the PS3 to know about how bad it's turned out so far. The Sony fanboys around my way don't want one ;)

*though a few of them are not buying out of the whole "p**s on Europe" attitude.

GFLPraxis
Jul 19, 2007, 08:50 PM

The problem is you are, as a lot of other people have, comparing them as if they were computers; aka, bullet points in a spec sheet and features list.

The complete reality of it is that these are game machines. If the PS3 has Blu-ray, more hardware for the money, built in WiFi, SD card readers...well, that's great. But if it doesn't have games, I don't care in the slightest about those other features.

The problem is that, as it is, Microsoft has snatched up most of the exclusives I'm (and most people are) interested in and multiplatform games look identical on both systems.

Sony's third party support is dwindling and that has always been the system's strength. When the system is a lot more expensive but has LESS games available, then people lose interest.

I think people forget very quickly which side I was on here. I was on Sony's side from the day the PS3 was announced. I harped on about 1080p-upscaled PS2 games, free online play, the fact that I much preferred Sony's exclusives historically to Microsoft's, Sony's promised dual-screen setup, better graphics, etc.

I was on Sony's side, arguing PS3 over 360, right up until E3 2006 when Sony reneged on the majority of their promises and then announced a $600 price point, and in the months following have yet to announce any of the franchises I bought a PS2 for on the PS3.

And the price is still a barrier; I haven't bought a 360 because I'm not spending $400 for the system, and I'm sure not getting a PS3 at $500 or $600. If Sony were to announce a whole slew of exclusives I'm interested in tomorrow, then I would be anticipating the purchase, but I still would not buy it till the price came down (same goes for 360 though).

I think the hate stems from the fact that there's a lot of bitterness towards Sony for A) Outright lying at press conferences and B) Arrogant statements from Kutaragi ("People will work a second job for it" "We could sell 5 million without any games [due to brand strength]").

Apple a Day
Jul 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
The business of video games is not easy, neither the marketing, production, engineering, sales and others. Don't be too harsh for the setbacks. I know for a fact Microsoft has plenty of setbacks all the time, there is a reason, it is difficult. The games will come, blu-ray will win the format war, Apple has already planned to adopt the format. When you apple a year from now has blu-ray and Sony releases plenty of games till your heart is content, then there will be less negative, pessimistic, hating rhetoric on the web. By the way, I support all game consoles, just don't hate, only dislike or favor. Man, maybe I am just too optimistic for forums (most are full of the most negative people on earth, most of whom have no balls, because this is the only way they can get their say!)

2nyRiggz
Jul 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
^You know what to do...rat on every console and get everyone pissed but stay true to the phantom;)

Sony's third party support is dwindling and that has always been the system's strength.

Really.....so who's not supporting sony this time around but did in the past? sure alot of the exclusive are multi now but thats not Lost. I would expect companies other than 1st party to go this route seeing how cost are sky high.

There are no 3rd party company staying true to a system this time around...Sony will have to work extra hard this time to get a little push out of the developers.

Bless

steamboat26
Jul 19, 2007, 10:48 PM
I would say this is a different situation from the DS. In the beginning, both of them had bad games, however, it doesn't cost a whole lot to develop a game for the DS, so when it became popular because of 1st party games, 3rd parties flocked to it. The PS3 has to prove itself soon, because development costs on it are astronomical. Why would any 3rd party developer go for sony, when they could make almost the exact same game for the 360 for less?
As for the wii- development costs probably aren't that high, and since the popularity for it has skyrocketed, 3rd parties are going to make games for it.
Even if most games are going multiplatform this generation, few people will buy a PS3 when there are the same or very similar games on a cheaper console. I bought a 360 and a Wii, the 360 already has a great lineup which is only going to get better, and the wii is really fun to play, with the good Nintendo games about to come out. And presumably, due to its popularity, 3rd parties will make more games for it.
Sony needs a lot of great games to get released, that are unrivaled on the 360, in order to recapture the consumers interest and the interests of developers. Right now, they are really only hanging onto MSG, which i don't really care about, so what incentive to i have to drop $500 for a PS3. Killzone 2 has its 360 counterpart in Halo 3, GTA:IV and Bioshock are coming to both consoles, so what does that leave? Uncharted and Rachet and Clank, but I'm sure microsoft can create a knockoff of both of those.
I really don't mean to be bashing sony, although i probably come across as doing so, I'm just trying to prove that sony needs to pick up their game. The $100 price drop was a good start, now bring some killer apps sony :cool:

MacRumorUser
Jul 20, 2007, 02:32 AM
The $100 price drop was a good start, now bring some killer apps sony :cool:

Followed shortly after by Sony taking it back and kicking you in the nutz :D

pcypert
Jul 20, 2007, 04:01 AM
I'm amazed at some of you guys. I remember having my NES and a like 4-6 games and getting YEARS of gameplay out of it. Same with my Sega...still can't remember owning much besides Sonic 1,2, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat and maybe a couple more and playing that thing for 3 or 4 years. Either modern consoles suck, we're way too dang picky, or what else?

Maybe all this obsesssing about games and what's out or not...what the others have, etc spoils your fun? I've been playing my Wii for two months solid and had played other's Wiis since it came out and don't find fun diminishing at all and certainly don't find a lack of games. Same with the 360 when I had it. There was actually too much gameplay there.

Maybe I'd suggest getting out and doing some other stuff too and enjoying the games you have. Can't see any reason something that costs over 10 bucks even should be collecting dust. Sell to someone who will play if you really don't play it or spend that money on something that's actually a benefit to you or society.

Paul

2nyRiggz
Jul 20, 2007, 04:11 AM
^Like a strip club?:D

I'm just joking around......Don't take it serious

Bless

Dagless
Jul 20, 2007, 04:52 AM
so what does that leave? Uncharted and Rachet and Clank, but I'm sure microsoft can create a knockoff of both of those.

They probably first ask themselves "are they system sellers?" Uncharatered is unproven and R&C seemed more a cult hit than a market one.
Exploration game starring a male? Alan Wake.

zero2dash
Jul 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
The business of video games is not easy, neither the marketing, production, engineering, sales and others. Don't be too harsh for the setbacks. I know for a fact Microsoft has plenty of setbacks all the time, there is a reason, it is difficult. The games will come, blu-ray will win the format war, Apple has already planned to adopt the format. When you apple a year from now has blu-ray and Sony releases plenty of games till your heart is content, then there will be less negative, pessimistic, hating rhetoric on the web. By the way, I support all game consoles, just don't hate, only dislike or favor. Man, maybe I am just too optimistic for forums (most are full of the most negative people on earth, most of whom have no balls, because this is the only way they can get their say!)

Says you who earlier posted:

Oh, by the way, Microsoft?!?!?! Who the hell wants anything they produce? I also hear about xboxes catching on fire? Doesn't surprise me! I think people are jealous because they are poor and cannot afford it! No excuse anymore.... they are $100 cheaper! By the way, i know that the xbox now has the ultimate edition xbox (or was it the business, home, office, upgrade, professional, corporate, et al edition?) LOL! Now only one PS3, the best one! PS3 WAY BETTER!

People in glass houses...:rolleyes:

macdaddy121
Jul 20, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm amazed at some of you guys. I remember having my NES and a like 4-6 games and getting YEARS of gameplay out of it. Same with my Sega...still can't remember owning much besides Sonic 1,2, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat and maybe a couple more and playing that thing for 3 or 4 years. Either modern consoles suck, we're way too dang picky, or what else?

Maybe all this obsesssing about games and what's out or not...what the others have, etc spoils your fun? I've been playing my Wii for two months solid and had played other's Wiis since it came out and don't find fun diminishing at all and certainly don't find a lack of games. Same with the 360 when I had it. There was actually too much gameplay there.

Maybe I'd suggest getting out and doing some other stuff too and enjoying the games you have. Can't see any reason something that costs over 10 bucks even should be collecting dust. Sell to someone who will play if you really don't play it or spend that money on something that's actually a benefit to you or society.

Paul

Great point and good post. We have become spoiled by the graphics and options we have. When I was a kid we had 3 games tops for Nintendo and maybe 2 for the Sega Gamegear. We didn't buy every console. In fact we only owned the Nintendo and Gamegear. We were very very happy with it. We also didn't play it near as much and we played outside more!!

Dagless
Jul 20, 2007, 10:28 AM

Awesome pwn :D

Osarkon
Jul 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
well looking through the local big store offers they have 1 computer with 512 and that's a toshiba laptop for 599 or so .. every thing else has at least 1 gig or 2

Ah but as someone handily mentioned, you're not in Wales. Shops can be a bit slow around here...to say the least. :)

bobber205
Jul 20, 2007, 02:51 PM
Great point and good post. We have become spoiled by the graphics and options we have. When I was a kid we had 3 games tops for Nintendo and maybe 2 for the Sega Gamegear. We didn't buy every console. In fact we only owned the Nintendo and Gamegear. We were very very happy with it. We also didn't play it near as much and we played outside more!!

That may have been fine for you, but the outside still scares the crap out of me! ;)

Dagless
Jul 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
Great point and good post. We have become spoiled by the graphics and options we have.

I think it's more than that. During the mid-late 90's we were blessed with some truly groundbreaking games. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon et al.

I think if you somehow totally skipped that era of gaming you'd be more content with todays offerings. We really have been spoiled.

steamboat26
Jul 20, 2007, 03:16 PM
They probably first ask themselves "are they system sellers?" Uncharatered is unproven and R&C seemed more a cult hit than a market one.
Exploration game starring a male? Alan Wake.

Very true, i'm just trying to make the point that the PS3 doesn't really have any games you can't get a clone of on the 360. Most people don't really care that much about Rachet and Clank, and I know there will be action/adventure open ended games on the 360 (like uncharted)

SpankyPenzaanz
Jul 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
crap wrong thread

bobber205
Jul 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
crap wrong thread

LMFAO! :D ;)

FleurDuMal
Jul 20, 2007, 05:48 PM

zero2dash +1

pcypert
Jul 20, 2007, 09:29 PM
But I did play all those and am still quite content. These forums can make some people a bit crazy though...I was the same way with mandolins. I'm not a great player but I found myself picking apart the instrument I had because of a stupid forum. Eventually I owned an instrument I didn't deserve and could never really play to full potential, but still picked it apart.

Some people seem like this with the video games. They are restless and try to find that answer in the games. They post more on forums about gaming than they spend time gaming. They know all about a game without having played it and talk about the games as if they had played them. Others parrot this info around the net...and we have all this shared "information" going around. It makes people not enjoy what they have.

Things like "the Wii is only good for party games". Rubbish. I played completely by myself back in the States and was quite content. Still have three or four games I've barely touched. People that are wanting games to fill some other spot in their lives that games were never intended to fill will continually be disappointed...those who can take them for what they are can be more than content in this generation.

Paul

student_trap
Jul 21, 2007, 01:27 PM
People that are wanting games to fill some other spot in their lives that games were never intended to fill will continually be disappointed...those who can take them for what they are can be more than content in this generation.

Paul

great point *puts down form baton and goes outside (ds in my pocket just in case!;))*