Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
why??

What are the differences? I was under the impression that the only things different from 9.1 was some hardware drivers for QS G4's, and I don't have one. Can someone tell me a good reason to download this?
\

-Pete

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
well

Using 9.2.1 right now...reasons are updated Classic support, CarbonLib 1.4, and to be the coolest kid on the block.

If you are on dialup, leave your computer on all night and do it. No big deal. And for those of us on T1s/T3s, well, it took about 10-15 minutes to download.

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
10 – 15 on a T1 or T3?!?!

It took me about 6 minutes on a cable modem. too bad my outgoing bandwidth is for the birds.

Has anyone read the 9.2.1 updater log after installing? It touches nearly EVERY SINGLE component of the system, from the DVD Player down to the modem drivers. This really is a super tune-up finale to the Mac OS as it has been. Granted, we'll see 9.5 I bet, but this update is SWEEEEEET. Just download it and don't think about it.

thedbp

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
10-15 mins

when it first came out and everyone and his brother was downloading 9.2.1......

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
holy hell!!

OS 9.2.1 is a speed demon.

Running on an old Yosemite G3...
My restarts are about 1/2 of what they were before.

All apps launch supa' fast now. No problems yet. This update is kick ass.

I can only hope 10.1 is anything as fast as this... otherwise what's the point for now? wow... I like launching apps now!!

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
9.2.1 is faster?

Seems like 9.2.1 boots up a lot faster than 9.1 did.. This I would think would translate into faster Classic mode boot up under 10.0.4, but I couldn't tell that it was any faster booting Classic.

Someone else said DVD playback was updated, but it seems the same, I have no idea what was updated since the application version is still 2.7.

Check out the "About the Finder" menu option (hold down option and go to the Apple menu).. they dropped out that long scrolling list of Finder version #s and names.. now it's just two short paragraphcs.. hmmm)

What isn't fixed.. still not 100% Java complient.
(Still no access to mail in Hushmail.com etc)

G

Gipetto

Ram Usage

I use about 20MB less ram as well now. Reboots are definitely faster on a G3 233.

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
Wow, this update is great

Network transfers seem to be faster, internet access seems to be improved, I watched Apocalypse Now DVD last night and it barely hiccuped (a couple times, but not as much as under 9.1). I DEFINITELY noticed a VERY large speed increase in loading Classic under X, as well as faster boot times running 9.2 by itself.

I want to update my 8600 to 9.2.1 as well, but it won't let me!!!! Says it won't run on that model... Grrrrr ... it seems that there are so many additional benefits other than just the X-related that it should be installable, but they've nixed that. Oh well. If anyone has a workaround, let me know.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Difference between 9.2 and 9.2.1

Can anyone tell me the difference between 9.2 and 9.2.1? Does this speed gap exist here as well?

I find 9.2 hard to compare with my 9.1 experience-things load much faster but I attribute that more to the difference between a Rev. B iMac and 733 g4.

Simon

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
So, who's complaining now?!

There's always a little give and litte take - what you didn't got in NY, you get now!

/I love Apple

benvp

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Does anyone know if MacOS 9.2.1 can be installed on macs which don't have MacOS X installed?

matthewBmedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2001
B&W G3 300

Installed last night, and everything seems a lot quicker!

Reboot time is definitely cut in 1/2 on my stock G3 300. (with a slight ram upgrade).

No problems sofar.

Note: I do not have OSX installed on my G3.

Waiting to install 9.2.1 on my sawtooth because I've read that some people have had trouble with their Yamaha 2100 E internal CD/RW...

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
no speed

I'm using a Pismo PowerBook, and I'll tell you...I can't tell one iota of speed difference between 9.1 and 9.2.1. Not in startup, apps launching, Internet, file transfers...nada.

igordi

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2001
I agree too unfortunately...

I read all the posts last night and got a little excited about all the reports of speed increases but the only impressive thing was the actual download from Apple (122KB/sec). I already had 9.1 and also X but I don't see any speed increase so far.

C

Cheezy

International or US only?

Will it install over french localized OS 9.1 ?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: International or US only?

Originally posted by Cheezy
Will it install over french localized OS 9.1 ?

It will -- just make sure you get the right version of the updater. They were not immediately available last night, but they should be now.

benvp

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
I just installed 9.2 in french on my iMac, so I can tell you it definetly works. And it's great!

P

pfm

wtf?

i installed 9.2.1 last night from 9.1 and now my volume keys on my keyboard work totally differentlky, and in fact only control the volume in iTunes. the volume bar doesn't come up on the bottom of the screen at all. wtf?

pfm

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
MAJOR problem with 9.2.1

If your Mac goes to sleep (whether manually or via timer you set in Energy Saver), when your Mac wakes back up... everything slows to a crawl.

Open SimpleText after waking from sleep and it takes about a sec to read each character typed into the text field. IE slows down, it seems like there is a huge problem here. I don't know if it's releated somehow to a memory leak or a really bad piece of code someplace which is killing the processor after waking up or what...

has anyone else noticed a super slowdown after waking up?

i always set my Mac to sleep when I'm not using it, to save on Restart time. but now it seems like i have no choice but to shut down a lot now.

this is happening every time too - wasn't a fluke thing. like clockwork, sleep kills my Mac.

This is pissing me off.

J

JayR

I heard

I heard that there was an added "Aqua" Theme in 9.2.1 from MOSR.... anyone find this?

It's not on my copy.... :-(

JJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
9.2.1 w/o OSX running ...

Yes, this can be done. Actually, I am running it on a g4 right now without osx, and it runs smoothly. There are, however, some extensions that are conflicting with my CD burner that I didn't have before. I still have to figure out which... so, besides the minor hiccups, I believe it to run faster. I will be installing it on my home machine which is a g3 beige with osx running... I'll have to let you know how that goes. OSX on my g3 is pretty much unuseable, but I had to buy it anywas - I am sure a lot of you know what I mean - anyways, to answer the question if it'll work or not w/o osx running, the answer is yes.

https://forums.macrumors.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.