Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
I am doing a video for my parent's 30th anniversary. It includes lots of old videos from our past, that were recorded to VHS.

I used my LG Standalone DVD recorder to record the footage to DVD, then used MacTheRipper & ffmpegX to extract and demux the vobs to m2v and ac3 streams.

Everything worked beautifully, and my timeline was nearing completion.

I saved my work, and returned to it hours later.

Suddenly, every time I clicked or played back a clip in m2v format, FCP crashed. It happened every single time, for any m2v clip. I have no idea what changed. The error log indicated that the problem was in the quicktime MPEG2 component. Reinstalling the component didn't help either.

The event is this coming Monday, so I cursed the day I got a Mac. :p

Then I remembered all those MacBreak weekly podcasts of Alex Lindsey talking about how Apple's open XML format allows you to change anything in the text format itself.

So I took all the source m2v files, converted them to .dv in quicktime (worked with no problems at all, and was really fast to my surprise). I then placed all the .dv files in the same folder as the .m2v files. The filename themselves remained identical.

I opened the sequence xml file in text edit, and replaced all occurrences of ".m2v" to ".dv", then opened the sequence in Final Cut Pro.

And viola! Everything worked like a charm. My timeline was just as before, but now pointed to the new .dv files. Needless to say, everything felt more snappy, thanks to the better editing power of the dv format.

So boo for apple for giving me such a hard time with bugs in the MPEG2 component, but THANK YOU apple for supporting open standards that allowed me to do what I did. Hip hop, hooray! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.