PDA

View Full Version : how sturdy is the Shuffle

fjs08
May 20, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I have an iPod video, but I want to use an iPod when I run my races. I'm actually worried that I may drop/lose, etc the iPod Video, so I was thinking of running with an iPod Shuffle. Anyone have any experience with the Shuffle on a road race??? Looks like it would hold enough songs. Oh, can I put a book or some podcasts on the Shuffle too??

Thanks.

Frank

mcarnes
May 20, 2007, 01:04 PM
Next to bullet proof. You'll have no problems. At $79, it's a steal.

Tom B.
May 20, 2007, 01:32 PM
Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/shuffle.ars/2) have a good review where they test the shuffle to destruction.

kurzz
May 20, 2007, 05:02 PM
I've dropped and thrown my shuffle 10 feet onto cement..not even a scratch. :) It's really light so it's not easy to damage by dropping it.

weg
May 20, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I have an iPod video, but I want to use an iPod when I run my races. I'm actually worried that I may drop/lose, etc the iPod Video, so I was thinking of running with an iPod Shuffle. Anyone have any experience with the Shuffle on a road race??? Looks like it would hold enough songs. Oh, can I put a book or some podcasts on the Shuffle too??

Thanks.

Frank

I'm assuming that you talk about the 2nd generation shuffle (the one with the clip). I guess it's quite sturdy, since I dropped it several times and it didn't take any damage.. however, the reason why I dropped it so often is the stupid clip. It's really a joke, when I clip it to my jacket I'm sometimes even losing the shuffle when I'm walking. So, if you want to go jogging with it: No way.

siurpeeman
May 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
the shuffle is sturdy, but you have to be careful with the clip, as it's really easy to bend and misalign.

Dagless
May 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
It's a tough bugger. I just bought my first HDD iPod since the ROKR (80gb video), and I'm scared with it! The Shuffle has even survived a little bit of rain, it's been all over the moors and Peak District with me. It's been knocked, shook (though with chips this doesn't have any effect), got a bit wet. It's the action mans perfect iPod. Nothing to worry about getting broken because hey, it was only 50.

I cannot fault the Shuffle much. Best iPod I ever bought.

dXTC
May 21, 2007, 01:27 PM
This thread is a welcome and timely reassurance, as I ordered two refurbed shuffles from the Apple Store just last night: pink for my niece, blue for my nephew. Both are "tweens", and the nephew is rowdy, to put it mildly.

The Ars Technica review was an interesting read. Thanks, Tom B. It's funny: my nano does the same thing as the shuffle did in the Ars Technica drop tests-- it won't come loose from the headphones during a casual drop (which has saved mine from hitting the floor more than once).

Wolfpup
May 23, 2007, 11:31 PM
I've actually had rediculously good reliability with my regular 5.5G and 3G iPods too. Dropped them multiple times, and they work fine (well, the 5.5G has some bugs, but they have nothing to do with being dropped).