PDA

View Full Version : How to pick which G5 to buy?

WannabeSQ
Jun 26, 2003, 01:29 AM
First off, I don't use the computer for any sort of work (not yet anyway) so it is just my home computer. I do use Pro Tools with a Digi 001 so I need a PCI slot. I am thinking of buying a G5, and naturally, want the best. We have traditionally bought the best in the past, I have a G4 500, fastest when it came out, we had to wait for Moto way back then to get fast enough chips. My dad has a DA 733, the first one to that speed with the L3 cache and superdrive, we used to have a bunch of other macs that were pretty high end at the time.

Anyway, I am currently going to save up for a G5, and while I wait, I am trying to decide which one to save up for. I use my computer for every day tasks, like surfing, ichat, mail, itunes, iPhoto, etc. I use protools occasionally, and just bought photoshop to edit my photos, and I would like to get a video camera to use iMovie and iDVD. I also play some games, like Quake, EV Nova, and Warcraft III. Does anyone know how I should go about choosing the G5 that is right for me? Thanks for reading my (relatively) long post.

Megaquad
Jun 26, 2003, 02:32 AM
I think you should choose between 1.6 and Dual 2 GHz model.
If you have enough money go for faster one, or you could get 1.6 GHz and add fast hard drive, BTO Radeon 9800 and more nice things.

Macette
Jun 26, 2003, 02:52 AM
get the dual... i'm getting the dual... everyone's getting the dual :D

Rezet
Jun 26, 2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
First off, I don't use the computer for any sort of work (not yet anyway) so it is just my home computer. I do use Pro Tools with a Digi 001 so I need a PCI slot. I am thinking of buying a G5, and naturally, want the best. We have traditionally bought the best in the past, I have a G4 500, fastest when it came out, we had to wait for Moto way back then to get fast enough chips. My dad has a DA 733, the first one to that speed with the L3 cache and superdrive, we used to have a bunch of other macs that were pretty high end at the time.

Anyway, I am currently going to save up for a G5, and while I wait, I am trying to decide which one to save up for. I use my computer for every day tasks, like surfing, ichat, mail, itunes, iPhoto, etc. I use protools occasionally, and just bought photoshop to edit my photos, and I would like to get a video camera to use iMovie and iDVD. I also play some games, like Quake, EV Nova, and Warcraft III. Does anyone know how I should go about choosing the G5 that is right for me? Thanks for reading my (relatively) long post.

Well there really isn't that much we can tell you. To be honest I dont know how much G5 1.6 and 1.8 is faster than lets say Dual 1.25 G4. From the presentation as I understand that dual G5 2.0 Ghz was the only one who was able to beat P4 and xeon at most tasks. As for Single 1.6 I can ssume that is OVERALL is equal to P4 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz perhaps. Again, it's just my guess.
Decide for yourself what you really want. For chat and word processing you can get G3 and it will provide enough power. But for photo, film editing and gaming, I'd assume DUal 2.0 is the way to go since alittle more investment will make it last alot longer considering that apple promised 3.0 ghz in 12 months. So if you get single 1.8 you will save $600 but next year it may seem like old news. Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 1ghz bus as i feel will live significatly longer. But then again, it depends how much money you have to spend. All I know that for games, you'd need raw power. They say Warcraft 3 need like 400 Mhz P3 but has anyone tried to tun it on 400 Mhz? My PC is 3 yars old and is P3 900Mhz and can't really handle the game on res more than 640x480.
Unreal Tournament for example requires G4 733 Mhz! I mean most people don't even have a computer that fast. And I bet on 733 Mhz it will run like crap.
If I decide on desktop, I'll go for Dual 2.0 G5. But hey that's just my opinion.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 26, 2003, 03:05 AM
well, if money is your main concern, DEFINATLY get the 1.6ghz. i mean, i have a 450mhz g3 (oc'd to 500, and also top of the line at the time :D ) that runs all those programs you listed well enough. so a 1.6ghzcpu, no matter what, will give you ENOURMOUS boost.

that, and you can spend what you saved on one of them damn fine lookin cinema diplays (we REALLY need to get a drool smiley on these forums...)

Rezet
Jun 26, 2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by G3-Pwnz-G4
well, if money is your main concern, DEFINATLY get the 1.6ghz. i mean, i have a 450mhz g3 (oc'd to 500, and also top of the line at the time :D ) that runs all those programs you listed well enough. so a 1.6ghzcpu, no matter what, will give you ENOURMOUS boost.

that, and you can spend what you saved on one of them damn fine lookin cinema diplays (we REALLY need to get a drool smiley on these forums...)

I personally disagree. 1.6 will definatelly get old much much faster. perhaps 4-5 times faster. I don't believe it's nearly as powerful as Dual 2.0. I know its cheaper but price vs value, dual definatelly is a better choice.
besides, your G3 can't handle any new games I bet. And lets say it's not exactly the choice for video editing. He also said he wants to play games. So 1.6 doesn't seem to be like a long shot.

And I completely disagree on display thingy. Apple displays are overall over priced. I don't see much of a reason to buy apple display right away when any display will work. You can get a good computer first and use it on lets say crappy - cheap display for 3-4 months before you can just get a good apple display (If you are concerned about style so much). I definatelly DO NOT put display over the computer.
What do you think would make a better computer overall? G3 for $500 and $2800 22" apple diplay. OR G5 $2999 and $300 display? Depends on what you do ofcourse, but still.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 26, 2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
I personally disagree. 1.6 will definatelly get old much much faster. perhaps 4-5 times faster. I don't believe it's nearly as powerful as Dual 2.0. I know its cheaper but price vs value, dual definatelly is a better choice.
besides, your G3 can't handle any new games I bet. And lets say it's not exactly the choice for video editing. He also said he wants to play games. So 1.6 doesn't seem to be like a long shot.

And I completely disagree on display thingy. Apple displays are overall over priced. I don't see much of a reason to buy apple display right away when any display will work. You can get a good computer first and use it on lets say crappy - cheap display for 3-4 months before you can just get a good apple display (If you are concerned about style so much). I definatelly DO NOT put display over the computer.
What do you think would make a better computer overall? G3 for $500 and $2800 22" apple diplay. OR G5 $2999 and $300 display? Depends on what you do ofcourse, but still.

ok, how about you just caaalllmmm dowwwwnnnn...

first off, saying that the dp 2ghz g5 is faster than the 1.6ghz g5 is about teh same as comparing a toothbrush and a turtle in a race. obviously the turtle wins because it's mobile. and space monkeys.

but anyways, a dp g5 would be great and all, but they will definatly come down in price eventually. so in about a year, you could probably have a 1.6ghz and a dp2ghz for teh same price you would've paid for just one dp 2ghz now.

jus my opinion...

HasanDaddy
Jun 26, 2003, 03:23 AM
Did you see the performance of the DUALIE????

if you're only doing word processing and checking email, then get an iMac

if you're running ANY kind of graphics program (FCP, Photoshop, AE, etc etc etc) then you'd be CRAZZZZY not to go wtih that dual

I swore off desktops forever, until I saw the performance of that thing!

Rezet
Jun 26, 2003, 03:25 AM
I doubt Duals will come down in price that much. Look at the powerbooks. $2600 for almosta year old Pbook. If you are looking to trade off computer every year, maybe there is a reason to go for 1.6 first, but as for the long shot, Dual is the way to go.

therevolution
Jun 26, 2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by G3-Pwnz-G4
ok, how about you just caaalllmmm dowwwwnnnn...

first off, saying that the dp 2ghz g5 is faster than the 1.6ghz g5 is about teh same as comparing a toothbrush and a turtle in a race. obviously the turtle wins because it's mobile. and space monkeys.

but anyways, a dp g5 would be great and all, but they will definatly come down in price eventually. so in about a year, you could probably have a 1.6ghz and a dp2ghz for teh same price you would've paid for just one dp 2ghz now.

jus my opinion...

my brain hurts from reading this post. make it stop.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 26, 2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by therevolution
my brain hurts from reading this post. make it stop.
ok...how so? maybe i can conjure up a remedy.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 26, 2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
Well there really isn't that much we can tell you. To be honest I dont know how much G5 1.6 and 1.8 is faster than lets say Dual 1.25 G4. From the presentation as I understand that dual G5 2.0 Ghz was the only one who was able to beat P4 and xeon at most tasks. As for Single 1.6 I can ssume that is OVERALL is equal to P4 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz perhaps. Again, it's just my guess.
Decide for yourself what you really want. For chat and word processing you can get G3 and it will provide enough power. But for photo, film editing and gaming, I'd assume DUal 2.0 is the way to go since alittle more investment will make it last alot longer considering that apple promised 3.0 ghz in 12 months. So if you get single 1.8 you will save $600 but next year it may seem like old news. Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 1ghz bus as i feel will live significatly longer. But then again, it depends how much money you have to spend. All I know that for games, you'd need raw power. They say Warcraft 3 need like 400 Mhz P3 but has anyone tried to tun it on 400 Mhz? My PC is 3 yars old and is P3 900Mhz and can't really handle the game on res more than 640x480.
Unreal Tournament for example requires G4 733 Mhz! I mean most people don't even have a computer that fast. And I bet on 733 Mhz it will run like crap.
If I decide on desktop, I'll go for Dual 2.0 G5. But hey that's just my opinion. sound to me any g5 will do the job, but in response to Rezet ut2003 does run like crap on a 733. warcraft runspretty good but still not buttery smooth. i am waiting for some real gaming benchmarks on the new system and iam not talking old quake3. Ut2003/Doom3 fps will decide my next system.

zen
Jun 27, 2003, 01:45 AM
I guess this is what you get when you post on a Mac rumours forum ;)

Of course we're all going to recommend dual 2 Ghz G5s. And if money were no option then sure, buy one.

But really you don't need that power. I'm currently using a 333 Mhz iMac running 10.2.6, and I use it for email, internet, word processing, some basic iLife stuff and a few games. It's time for me to upgrade, so I'm getting a 1.6 Ghz G5.

So let's look at your list of what you do with your Mac and which G5 will suit it:

"surfing"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"ichat"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"mail"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"itunes"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"iPhoto"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"I use protools occasionally"
- 1.6 Ghz G5.

"photoshop to edit my photos"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"iMovie and iDVD"
- 1.6 Ghz G5

"Quake, EV Nova, and Warcraft III."
- 1.6 Ghz G5

Ok, things like ProTools is getting into more heavyweight app territory, and even with iMovie and iDVD, sure the faster the G5 the faster your productivity. But I'm picking that like me you are more a hobbyist than a professional, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. Certainly I'm going to eventually get a video camera and use iDVD etc - hell, a 1 Ghz iMac will do the job pretty painlessly! If your Quake framerate drops beyond your liking (and that seems an obsession among gamers!) you can always get a better video card later on.

I know that with my 1.6 Ghz G5 I am never going to use the PCI slots, and probably never install a second internal drive. It's going to be a monumental leap from my iMac, so even when the 1.6 G5 is out of date in a year, it'll still be a phenomenal home computer. And you can use the money you save to get a good CRT monitor.

No disrespect intended to people recommending the dual 2 Ghz, but really unless you have limitless funds, the 1.6 Ghz is plenty.

Hope that helps :)

Zen

WannabeSQ
Jun 30, 2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the post. It makes sense. And yes, I am a "hobbyist" and don't use my computer to make money (yet) I think I will save my money over the next couple of months and see what I will be able to afford. Also, I think that if I don't get the Dual 2 gig, ill go for the 1.8 gig mostly because it has more ram slots, so I can upgrade later and cheaper over a longer time and not worry too much about running out of slots.

Also, As it is now, I don't have the processing power to do too many things at once. I like to play iTunes while I surf, check email, iChat, edit photos etc. If I can get a fast enough computer to allow me to just leave a bunch of programs open, that would be great. Especially for games, Id like to play iTunes while i play Nova. I don't got the juice even for that (to get buttery smooth playback that is, it does work, just not well) I guess ill have to wait for some more benchmarks and some really in depth reviews.