PDA

View Full Version : PB speaker "snap"

petercw2
Jun 26, 2003, 08:26 AM
Anyone else experiencing a "snap" in their speaker on their new PB?

Mine never did it until the other day.

It seems like when the speaker kicks in to make a noise, there is this "snap", or what sounds like a quick 'shorting' sound..

anyone:confused:

jxyama
Jun 26, 2003, 08:38 AM
"snap" or a "pop"?

"pop" is the sound of speakers waking up from sleep and is normal. (it's annoying but normal.) do you see the spinning beachball? you can go to versiontracker and get a program called "KeepSoundAwake"

if it's a "snap," dunno what to tell ya...

petercw2
Jun 26, 2003, 08:47 AM
No, it is a snap. I know the pop you are taking about and this is different. This sounds like a really quick "short"...

it doesn't happen all the time.

thanks for the response though.

jxyama
Jun 26, 2003, 08:49 AM
yeah, i figured most people here would know about the "pop" but i just wanted to cover all the bases...

"snap"?! i hope you find a solution... must be annoying!

petercw2
Jun 26, 2003, 10:03 AM
actually it only seems to happen just AFTER my PB makes the "error" sound (like trying to type without being in an application)...

very weird...

tjwett
Jun 27, 2003, 01:12 AM
I can tell you exactly what this is. The new PowerBooks have an energy-saving feature built in that disables the internal speakers when they are not in use. When it needs to play a sound (like on am error message) the speaker actually has to turn itslef on first. This is the "snap" we are all hearing. It's been discussed in great length at the Apple discussion boards for the 12" & 17". As of now, there is no fix. It's slightly annoying but I've grown used to it.

petercw2
Jun 27, 2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
I can tell you exactly what this is. The new PowerBooks have an energy-saving feature built in that disables the internal speakers when they are not in use...This is the "snap" we are all hearing. It's been discussed in great length at the Apple discussion boards for the 12" & 17". As of now, there is no fix. It's slightly annoying but I've grown used to it.

Actually, what I am experiencing is NOT that you are reffering to. I have that as well and would describe that more as a "popping" sound.

What I have is definately more the sound of a "short" than a pop and it occurs AFTER the speaker makes the sound.

I am very aware of the issue you are talking about, but that is not what I am experiencing (or more specifically, in addition to what you are talking about).

NavyIntel007
Jun 27, 2003, 07:53 AM
My internal speakers pop too. Not at regular intervals and not during any specific actions. It's annoying but then again my Palm Tungsten C does the same thing. Oh well.

tjwett
Jun 28, 2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by petercw2
Actually, what I am experiencing is NOT that you are reffering to. I have that as well and would describe that more as a "popping" sound.

What I have is definately more the sound of a "short" than a pop and it occurs AFTER the speaker makes the sound.

I am very aware of the issue you are talking about, but that is not what I am experiencing (or more specifically, in addition to what you are talking about).

hmmm, perhaps it is indeed a short, or more likely a poor connection. or maybe the speaker has been blown. it sounds like a short or a bad connection though. if you have an Apple Store in your area take it in and they'll crack it open right there and could probably help you pretty quickly. do you hear the same noise when you are using headphones? if not, i'd say it's pretty safe to assume it's a problem with the speakers themselves, and not too serious. if you are hearing the sound from the audio out jack it could be something worse like a short or problem in the sound card. either way, have it fixed up right away for free, you're entitled.

MoparShaha
Jul 6, 2003, 06:58 PM
I think what you're experiencing is a corrupted sound file. I've got a CRT iMac, and I have the same problem. On my machine, its with the "Submarine" alert. Whenever it is player, there is a snap/pop sound following it. It only happens when the submarine alert is played, so I've just selected another alert that doesn't have the problem. I haven't tried reinstalling jaguar, so I can't tell you if that works, but its worth a shot.

petercw2
Jul 9, 2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I think what you're experiencing is a corrupted sound file. I've got a CRT iMac, and I have the same problem. On my machine, its with the "Submarine" alert. Whenever it is player, there is a snap/pop sound following it. It only happens when the submarine alert is played, so I've just selected another alert that doesn't have the problem. I haven't tried reinstalling jaguar, so I can't tell you if that works, but its worth a shot.

You are absolutely right. After much tinkering I finally got around to doing the obvious and trying different sound files....And I found the same thing as you! Even the same sound file! I guess something corrupts it.

I ain't even gonna try and reload OSX, as that particular sound just isn't important enough..

Glad to hear that someone else found the same thing i did!

thanks!