PDA

View Full Version : Nike +

Draythor
May 21, 2007, 12:20 PM
I've finally decided to get my arse in gear and start training myself up.
I got a job at my local leisure centre as a Life guard and as such have the benefit of free gym and pool facilities. I thought that a Nike + kit would be helpful also. I have a 1st Gen Nano, I just need the shoes and adaptor. How much is that likely to set me back? What would you reccomend?

Tadow
May 21, 2007, 12:32 PM
You can use the Nike+ transmitter in any shoes with an adapter or just by putting it in the laces.

neven
May 21, 2007, 12:57 PM
The Nano+iPod kit is $29. The cheapest Nike+ shoes are about $70 though you can probably find them at Champs, Footlocker, etc. for as low as $40.

My girlfriend and I have used it with non-Nike+ shoes in the past (by putting it in the laces or a shoe pocket) and we now both have Nike+ shoes. In our experience, it tracks your run better if you use Nike+ shoes, and it's also less likely to bother you when you run.

I thought it was foolish to spend a lot of money on Nike shoes just for the brand name, but I was advised by a running coach to try the Air Zoom Vomero+2 and they're absolutely fantastic running shoes. I can't say I've tried every brand out there, but they're quite noticeably better than the Adidas, Puma, or Reebok shoes I've owned (though they're also pricier).

Draythor
May 21, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I've found a couple of threads on this and I will most likely opt for a less expensive pair of shoes than the nike + ones. Any brand of shoes you would reccomend as I only have a pair of Lonsdale and a pair Converse shoes, neither of which are designed for running...;)

EDIT: Thanks Neven. Useful to know! My main concern with getting an adaptor was how accurate it would be. Do you know of any cheaper outlets in the UK or that will ship here cheap?

neven
May 21, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yes. I recommend Nike running shoes :P

I used to buy shoes on looks, assuming that I didn't need to spend more than $40 for good running shoes. I think I now know better. Ask a pro; that's something you'll get at a real running store (as opposed to mall stores like Footlocker). They can help you decide what you need based on your build and running habits. Ignore the looks - most good running shoes are hideous. Here are mine:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/480623576_d75000cab1_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neven/480623576)

That's really ugly, but who cares - keep in mind also that you should have a dedicated pair of running shoes even if you're not all gung ho about exercise (I'm certainly not). It's not like you'll be rocking these out with jeans when you go out to dinner.

Draythor
May 21, 2007, 01:27 PM

I used to buy shoes on looks, assuming that I didn't need to spend more than $40 for good running shoes. I think I now know better. Ask a pro; that's something you'll get at a real running store (as opposed to mall stores like Footlocker). They can help you decide what you need based on your build and running habits. Ignore the looks - most good running shoes are hideous. Here are mine:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/480623576_d75000cab1_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neven/480623576)

That's really ugly, but who cares - keep in mind also that you should have a dedicated pair of running shoes even if you're not all gung ho about exercise (I'm certainly not). It's not like you'll be rocking these out with jeans when you go out to dinner.

Oh I don't know, Dinner Jackets are soooo last year!:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. How much were those shoes? Yeah they're as ugly as a pugs backside, but they look like proper running shoes as well!

neven
May 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
Regarding the accuracy - make sure you calibrate the transmitter (it's easy) and do that every month or so. It's worked well for me so far, but I have heard complaints about it.

My shoes were $120. That's more than I intended to spend, but I tried them on next to an $80 pair and the difference in comfort was worth paying more for. I was also told that the soles would last longer, but I can't vouch for that yet.

Depending on your running style, you might get away with paying as low as $50. The Nike Moire are about that much at non-Nike stores and they're really nice. They're very light, but they also have less cushioning (the air layer is only in the heel). They're great for light exercise.

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/uploads/products/std2/8741_24987A.jpg

Kaiser Phoenix
May 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Nike Shoes are poor for running in my opinion and hence that is the reason why I didnt get the Nike + thing though I thought it was a fantastic idea. But after reading this thread I realized some people use it with non nike shoes with the adaptor so I might try it again.

I personally do cross-country in the UK (district level) and most pros use MIZUNO shoes both in UK, Europe and Japan, im not sure about the USA tho.

Check them out, this is the one I use:

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/A514C32C49F48D77852570EB00654082?opendocument&div=running&cat=mensfootwear

Scottcop
May 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
Regarding the accuracy - make sure you calibrate the transmitter (it's easy) and do that every month or so. It's worked well for me so far, but I have heard complaints about it.

My shoes were $120. That's more than I intended to spend, but I tried them on next to an $80 pair and the difference in comfort was worth paying more for. I was also told that the soles would last longer, but I can't vouch for that yet.

Depending on your running style, you might get away with paying as low as $50. The Nike Moire are about that much at non-Nike stores and they're really nice. They're very light, but they also have less cushioning (the air layer is only in the heel). They're great for light exercise.

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/uploads/products/std2/8741_24987A.jpg

I have seen these shoes instores before, and would love to know what any "pro" or anyone with good knowledge of running shoes would say.
They don't seem very supportive in the ankle, or anywhere else for that matter. And as you say they have no cushioning.
I guess that would be ok if you did'nt over pronate or have any other running "defect"

I pleased with my Nike+ and ipod combi, although I do map my runs with Google for complete accuracy.
They also do some nice shorts with a neat pocket for your ipod.

Remember to stretch!

Draythor
May 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the feedbak guys! appreciate it!
It looks likle tyhe best option is to get a pair of the cheap nike shoes. That way, if I get really into this or find them uncomfortable, I can buy the expensive ones. I'd rather have a pair of the adapted nike shoes than a pair of trainers that cost a bomb or require an adaptor.
I'll have a look in JBB this weekend...
Again many thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: I've looked around for an arm band or some other way of carrying my iPod. Any suggestions?

munckee
May 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the feedbak guys! appreciate it!
It looks likle tyhe best option is to get a pair of the cheap nike shoes. That way, if I get really into this or find them uncomfortable, I can buy the expensive ones. I'd rather have a pair of the adapted nike shoes than a pair of trainers that cost a bomb or require an adaptor.
I'll have a look in JBB this weekend...
Again many thanks for the feedback.

Don't buy nike shoes just because they have a slot for the sensor. Shoes make a huge difference in your running experience. Go to a good running store and have them help you fit a pair for your needs. If they're Nike+ shoes, great. If not, then grab a sensor pocket for your laces (they literally cost about $6). I've used my sensor both ways (in shoe and on laces) and I haven't seen any difference.

Kaiser Phoenix
May 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
Don't buy nike shoes just because they have a slot for the sensor. Shoes make a huge difference in your running experience. Go to a good running store and have them help you fit a pair for your needs. If they're Nike+ shoes, great. If not, then grab a sensor pocket for your laces (they literally cost about $6). I've used my sensor both ways (in shoe and on laces) and I haven't seen any difference.

I really agree with the above. I tried the Nike + shoes before and it hurt my feet because I think the shape didnt suit my feet, although I use a Nike Football (soccer) shoe.

You should really think carefully about your shoe in terms of comfort, cushioning etc rather than just getting it for the slot.

rdp5008
May 22, 2007, 02:08 PM
Here is a cool site with alternatives to buying the Nike shoes. Many people don't like Nike running shoes, it is all about personal preference.

http://podophile.com/2006/11/30/nike-ipod-shoe-hack-and-sensor-accessory-round-up/

I personally use the Grantwood Technologies shoe pouch on my diadora and asics running shoes. It works great. There are other shoe pouches on the site that are supposed to work great as well. Good luck with the running!

Draythor
May 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
I went to JJB today and got a sports kit, unfortunatly they only sold four different kinds of the Nike + shoe. All of which were 65! what a rip. Over the pond their as cheap as chips (fries to you guys;) )
Oh well I'm getting paid at the end of this week and I'm sending my iPod of for repair on Saturday, so I have loads of time to make a decision.
Which is the best nike + adaptor?

gauchogolfer
May 23, 2007, 05:16 PM
I've got a pair of Saucony shoes, and I just cut a hole underneath the insole that's the size of the Nike+ transmitter. Put the insole back in, and it's perfect. I've not had a single issue with it. If you're not scared of a little open-shoe surgery, it's a nice option.

VoodooDaddy
May 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
Get whatever shoes you want, then get this:

www.shoepouch.com

As far as "Nike shoes providing more accuracy", my Nike+ is VERY accurate and has never seen a pair of Nikes.

Draythor
May 24, 2007, 09:56 AM
Get whatever shoes you want, then get this:

www.shoepouch.com

As far as "Nike shoes providing more accuracy", my Nike+ is VERY accurate and has never seen a pair of Nikes.

Thats what I was looking for.
I've ordered this (http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/all_iPods_Cases_Armband/MA_602956003434/Marware_Sportsuit_Relay_Armband_for_iPod_nano.htm) from iWorld.co.uk

Can't wait to start training!

munckee
May 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
I've got a pair of Saucony shoes, and I just cut a hole underneath the insole that's the size of the Nike+ transmitter. Put the insole back in, and it's perfect. I've not had a single issue with it. If you're not scared of a little open-shoe surgery, it's a nice option.

I did this on my first pair of asics. After I saw the shoe pouches for $6 though, I didn't figure it was even worth it for the new ones.

A dremel works very well for this if you decide to do it. Trace the sensor, put a grinding wheel on the dremel, and have at it. Took me about 10 minutes.