PDA

View Full Version : G5, lots of hype ?! at this point I thought we were going to get the G6 !

windwaves
Jun 26, 2003, 08:44 AM
dudes,
so much glory for the g5 ? I am not sure I fully understand. After the last 2 (I mean) two nearly pathetic (my opinion, please allow me) power mac revisions (because of bad quality in general - unheard of from apple - and obviously ridiculous speed improvements) we are all screaming (yes, including myself) at the fantastic new g5. But I thought Apple would give it to us a lot earlier than this ! And it is not even ********g available yet and they say August, which for sure shall be September in a best case scenario, that is basically 4th quarter 2003 !!!! Panther ? we'll be lucky if we see something decent by the end of 2003. Powerbook, forget it.
We have nothing, oh, I am sorry, iSight we do have, it is available now and has multiple functions, including cooking eggs on top of your nice flat screen monitor.

Do I sound unhappy ? it does not really matter, but I feel sometimes we, apple fan, forget to see the truth. I am certainly one of them. I just cannot stand this piece of crap seating on my desk (a fw800 dual 1.25mhz) and can't wait to get this freaking new g5. Do I need that speed ? completely irrelevant , I am just an Apple fan !!!!

jxyama
Jun 26, 2003, 08:53 AM
g5, panther, etc.... all are announced, official and on their way.

is the g5 long overdue? yes.
will there be any delays? probably.

no point in beating a dead horse. i don't understand "the truth" you are talking about, but we are happy and excited because we know these things are coming.

btw, panther was announced to be a "preview" for WWDC and is coming "by the end of the year." so your "panther: we'll be lucky to have anything by the end of the year" statement is kind of pointless.

Wyrm
Jun 26, 2003, 08:58 AM
Patience young grasshopper. Moss does not grow on a rolling stone.

djtet
Jun 26, 2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by windwaves
I just cannot stand this piece of crap seating on my desk (a fw800 dual 1.25mhz)

Dude, you have some serious issues...
I would be extremely overjoyed to take that "piece of crap" off your hands...you see some of us don't have $ to go out and buy the very latest and greatest all of the time...you should just stop your complaining and be satisfied with your "piece of crap"!!!

maradong
Jun 26, 2003, 09:23 AM
forget him.
newbish spammer who will be off in 10 days, never coming back

evil
Jun 26, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by djtet
Dude, you have some serious issues...
I would be extremely overjoyed to take that "piece of crap" off your hands...you see some of us don't have $ to go out and buy the very latest and greatest all of the time...you should just stop your complaining and be satisfied with your "piece of crap"!!!

yeah rock on to that.
if you hate it so much ship it over to me. i give it the love that you dont.

windwaves
Jun 26, 2003, 11:04 AM
dudes,
thanks for the feedback - some pretty good, some not. All as expected.

Jxy, your comments well taken. You are right on Panther. But I don't see the problem with beating "the old horse" - the point is excited yes, but long over due - only a matter of discussion, not necessarily a point, ok.

djtet, this had not much to do with you finances; my dual is indeed a piece of crap in spite of Apple repairing it twice and replacing it once. that is the way it is.
[mod edit: inflamatory namecalling will not be tolerated.]

djtet
Jun 26, 2003, 01:07 PM
you come to a mac rumor website and you bash apple, you bash the hype of the g5, you bash your own dual 1.25 g4...it's obvious that someone would speak out and say that you're out of line.

if you had bad experiences with apple, then make it clear in your post. don't go bashing a great machine.

...too bad i couldn't see what "namecalling" was taking place as it was already edited out!!!

chicagdan
Jun 26, 2003, 01:38 PM
We have nothing

Oh, please ... while Moto was screwing Apple, the company was doing one of the most remarkable jobs of keeping its head above water in history (especially considering this all happened during a tech depression.) Just stop the negativity and think of all the innovation this company has given us in two years:

1) The best OS on the planet, regulary updated.

2) The most unique and beautiful desktop PC ever built (and if you think "no big deal" about a 17" widescreen floating screen, use it for a week and tell me you want to use anything else)

3) The first 17" widescreen laptop and the best compact laptop ever built

4) the iPod and an incredible music infrastructure (iTunes + ITMS) to support it

5) All the brilliant iApps, better than anything on a PC and basically free

And that's just the obvious stuff. Now the company has broken through its one remaining barrier (the horrible failure of Moto to produce a G5 chip) and is producing the fastest desktop computer in the world.

And STILL people are whining. It's just incredible to me. You want to get mad at Moto for Apple's current situation, cool with me. But Apple didn't sit back, they went out and convinced IBM to get back into the desktop processor market that just three years ago they promised to leave for good. They didnt' do something stupid and suicidal like putting the platform on AMD or Intel processors that might have killed off their hardware business.

Now the company has the processors + the OS + developers + the best engineering and design in the world + all these great new devices and apps they needed to survive the tech bust. The company is delivering incredible products to the most loyal band of users on the planet.

They survived and now they're going to deliver more great products than ever. Will it increase their market share? Who cares! Does anyone care if BMW has 2 or 3% of the car market? Just be happy you have good taste and enjoy.

windwaves
Jun 26, 2003, 02:49 PM
Chica, I don't disagree with you a bit on most things and in general I like your attitude (of course you don't and shouldn't care about that, but I am just telling you my reaction). But one thing though I strongly disagree. I don't think we (as apple users) should just blame MOT. What we are buying is APPLE products and in my view it is exclusively and delightly Apple's problem that they have not managed to keep their processors up to speed. Like every manufacturer in the world you have to ensure your supply chains are smooth, IT IS THE SURVIVAL of manufacturing, even more so in technology. Apple took too great a risk concentrating all of its processor evolution in MOT (which is a necesserary assumption - not a fact - when you say that it is MOT that screwed up). It is Apple that in some sense, screwed up. I love the iApps (check my post on iChat AV on the software section) and the iPod and all of those things. Again, I am and I know I will be an Apple only in my home dude. However, that does not mean that I am unable to express disappointment with a new product because it is late (but yes, welcome doh !) and not available for the next 2 months (the g5 that is).

Djtet, it was not a real bad word (I don't use those) but I guess bad enough. Forgive me anyway, it was not meant in a bad way.
I am not sure bashing is the right word, but what I am trying to do is critical thinking. No, I do not mean to kill the excitment, you have no idea the multiple orgasms I had during SJ's keynote. This latter is my mac fan side, what is further above at the core of this discussion is a more rationale assessment of where we are.
And again, I am not unhappy. I just want more, now.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 26, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by windwaves
Do I need that speed ? completely irrelevant , I am just an Apple fan !!!!

This sort of attitude gives us all a bad name.....ranting about the state of macdom and not approaching the argument rationally just makes you look like a fanatic.

'...what I am trying to do is critical thinking...'

Then you'd realize how lucky we are to have a G5 at all. Be patient and relax, order a new machine and wait for it to arrive. If you remember back to the original G4 release it was the same way - we could order them immediately, but we had to wait months for delivery.

D :rolleyes:

jayscheuerle
Jun 26, 2003, 03:11 PM
but these are a grate deal!

chicagdan
Jun 26, 2003, 03:17 PM
I don't think we (as apple users) should just blame MOT. What we are buying is APPLE products and in my view it is exclusively and delightly Apple's problem that they have not managed to keep their processors up to speed.

Keep in mind that unlike the rest of the PC business, Apple has to go out and CONVINCE companies to produce processors for it. Dell doesn't have to cut deals with Intel and AMD ... it's quite the opposite, there's such a huge market for Wintel PCs that the manufacturers can just sit back and let Intel/AMD try to seduce them with better and better stuff.

Apple is in a completely different boat, they are the ones who need to seek out a relationship, and there's no denying that once IBM announced they were getting out of the PC microprocessor business, Moto blew it. They didn't keep up their end of the bargain and basically forced Apple to go back into the marketplace to find a replacement for them.

You say this is Apple's fault, but what the hell could they have done? Their sole supplier stopped innovating, so they convinced a company that had very recently pulled the plug on its microprocessor business to do a 180 AND make a multi-trillion dollar investment in new chip technology. That's an amazing accomplishment on Apple's part and Jobs doesn't get enought credit for pulling it off. I used to work for IBM, I know the corporate inertia at play ... for Apple to get them to move this fast is amazing.

Apple acted as quickly as possible and they will get G5s and G6s in computers as fast as possible. All I'm saying is give them the benefit of the doubt, they've been good to us. It's Moto that has consistently let us down.

Skandranon
Jun 26, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
but these are a grate deal!

That's the funniest thing I've seen today. Bravo.

I'm crazy about the G5, but we gotta keep a sense of humor. Amazing what people do in their free time.
:rolleyes:

Supa_Fly
Jun 26, 2003, 03:57 PM
I was verry pissed off with all the improvements of this G5 over all other available computers from major manufacturers or that you can buy on the market yourself (Asus and MSI boards for PC); that no more than a 100 word article in either the Globe& Mail, Toronto Star, Toronto SUN, or the National Post was done?!?? (all the good or ****ty newspapers available-local-in Toronto)

My fear again is no matter how much Apple sells of these machines, their market share will only increase slightly because of the lack of Rep or respect from analysts or piers!

redAPPLE
Jun 26, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Wyrm
Patience young grasshopper. Moss does not grow on a rolling stone.

he he. cool. got to remember that one.

jayscheuerle
Jun 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Prom1
My fear again is no matter how much Apple sells of these machines, their market share will only increase slightly because of the lack of Rep or respect from analysts or piers!

It may never increase.

The home user buys $700 systems from BestBuy. Business's buy $900 systems direct from Dell.

Apple makes beautiful hardware and software that are priced out of the range of what most people are willing to consider spending.

The biggest concern is knowing how many customers Apple allowed to switch to PCs while waiting for a competitive processor to show up. The G5 will allow them to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
but these are a grate deal! that is what the design team started with isnt it? I myself would have started with a low quiet low speed blower and then built everything around it jonathon, 1 massive low speed blower. like the way componets are around the blower on new ati/nvidea video cards with priority going to those hottest componets. still waiting for benches on UT2003/Doom3 on 1.6 & 1.8.

chicagdan
Jun 26, 2003, 04:16 PM
The G5 will allow them to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I think the G5 is only part of the story. From all I've read, Apple is going to stick with Moto in the PowerBooks, and before you scream, consider the credible rumors that the 7457 G4 has such low power consumption that it might be possible to build the first dual processor laptop computer. Now, wouldn't you rather have a dual processor 1.3 GhZ system with five hours of battery life than a single processor 2.0 GhZ with two hours?

As for the last two years, I still say Apple has done an amazing job surviving this processor drought ... they did a great 24 month tap dance and finally ended up with both IBM and Moto bringing out high quality upgrades. I guess all of Steve's screaming at Moto VPs finally paid off.

jayscheuerle
Jun 26, 2003, 04:30 PM
The current G4s are plenty fast for any uses I might have at home, but their stagnation was a marketability problem in spite of pushing the "megahertz myth" to anyone that would listen (not many PC users).

Being "top of the hill" is not really that important and it never lasts. The G4 started giving the perception that they weren't even on the hill and were perhaps even drowning in the moat(orola)....

jxyama
Jun 26, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Wyrm
Moss does not grow on a rolling stone.

this is completely off topic, but thought it's interesting...

this is one of those neat proverbs where the meaning "switched" over the years.

the original meaning regarded "moss" as something good and meant that if you switch your jobs around too much, then you'd never accumulate any $$$.

over the years, however, the meaning reversed and "moss" started to be regarded as something bad. the proverb's meaning switched into that if you keep yourself active, you'd never accumulate any "rust."

chicagdan
Jun 26, 2003, 04:39 PM
this is one of those neat proverbs where the meaning "switched" over the years.

And for that you can blame Bob Dylan, Jann Wenner and Mick Jaggar. Of course the further irony is that "Like A Rolling Stone" has been consistenly misunderstood through the years ... Dylan was mocking the directionless hippie in his song, not glorifying her.

Wyrm
Jun 26, 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
that is what the design team started with isnt it? I myself would have started with a low quiet low speed blower and then built everything around it jonathon, 1 massive low speed blower. like the way componets are around the blower on new ati/nvidea video cards with priority going to those hottest componets. still waiting for benches on UT2003/Doom3 on 1.6 & 1.8.

Then instead of a cheese-grater, it'd be a leaf blower.... or maybe a hair dryer. :D

Hmmm, I'll take the cheese-grater, thanks.

That cheese-grater pic was really funny - I laughed, I cried...<phew>

-Wyrm