PDA

View Full Version : iMac Update Slated For Late June

Pages : 1 [2]

ImAlwaysRight
Jun 3, 2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.macosrumors.com/20070228-1A.html

Basically, the author of MacOSRumors.com thinks MacBooks and iMacs (as well as Mac Pros, which makes some sense) will start shipping with 2 hard drives from Apple in a RAID array to help get ride of the "hard drive bottle-neck." What is this guy smoking?!? He ought to change the name of his site to MacOSLaughter.com. Common sense tells you no computer manufacturer is going to put two hard drives in a consumer computer, especially ones that are designed to be as small as possible. I think they'd give the MacBook a real graphics card before going that route. Not to mention the battery life issues, and in both iMacs and MacBooks the space constraints, etc. I can't believe someone would actually print stuff like this. Here is a quote from the end of the article:

What we're really excited about is the advent of entry-level Macbooks and iMacs with dual high-performance hard drives. A Macbook with two 7200RPM, 16MB cache 2.5-inch Serial ATA hard drives in a hardware RAID 0 array would be a quantum leap forward in portable performance and the iMac would be even sexier with two 15,000RPM 32MB cache 3.5-inch SATA drives to say the least!

Along with the increase in dual-drive models will reportedly come easier access to hard drives for upgrades. And a more upgradable entry level Mac is always good news for the consumer.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Eidorian
Jun 3, 2007, 09:32 AM
Common sense tells you no computer manufacturer is going to put two hard drives in a consumer computer, especially ones that are designed to be as small as possible.Well notebook manufacturers have been know to do RAID 0 in laptops already. These machines are available to the consumer as well. It's not cheap though...

]Along with the increase in dual-drive models will reportedly come easier access to hard drives for upgrades. And a more upgradable entry level Mac is always good news for the consumer.Already a third party option for Mac laptops.

Dimwhit
Jun 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm actually hoping that the next 24" iMac comes with a second hard drive bay. With Time Machine on the horizon, and the large amount of real estate in that model, it would be a great addition. Not sure how realistic it is, but it would save needing an external hard drive once Leopard comes.

BenRoethig
Jun 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.macosrumors.com/20070228-1A.html

Basically, the author of MacOSRumors.com thinks MacBooks and iMacs (as well as Mac Pros, which makes some sense) will start shipping with 2 hard drives from Apple in a RAID array to help get ride of the "hard drive bottle-neck." What is this guy smoking?!? He ought to change the name of his site to MacOSLaughter.com. Common sense tells you no computer manufacturer is going to put two hard drives in a consumer computer, especially ones that are designed to be as small as possible. I think they'd give the MacBook a real graphics card before going that route. Not to mention the battery life issues, and in both iMacs and MacBooks the space constraints, etc. I can't believe someone would actually print stuff like this. Here is a quote from the end of the article:

What we're really excited about is the advent of entry-level Macbooks and iMacs with dual high-performance hard drives. A Macbook with two 7200RPM, 16MB cache 2.5-inch Serial ATA hard drives in a hardware RAID 0 array would be a quantum leap forward in portable performance and the iMac would be even sexier with two 15,000RPM 32MB cache 3.5-inch SATA drives to say the least!

Along with the increase in dual-drive models will reportedly come easier access to hard drives for upgrades. And a more upgradable entry level Mac is always good news for the consumer.

:confused: :rolleyes:

MOSR isn't really a rumors site. They just kinda make outlandish stuff up that sounds kinda cool. I don't think they've actually ever posted anything that actually happened.

BenRoethig
Jun 3, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'm actually hoping that the next 24" iMac comes with a second hard drive bay. With Time Machine on the horizon, and the large amount of real estate in that model, it would be a great addition. Not sure how realistic it is, but it would save needing an external hard drive once Leopard comes.

The only way that would be possible is if Apple were to put the optical and hard drive bays into the base of the iMac. The Mac faithful would be winning that it wasn't thin enough to it war too ugly.

freddiecable
Jun 4, 2007, 05:54 AM
interesting:

http://9to5mac.com/Brushed-Metal-iMacs-Dropping-At-MacWorld

FleurDuMal
Jun 4, 2007, 06:00 AM
interesting:

http://9to5mac.com/Brushed-Metal-iMacs-Dropping-At-MacWorld

Pfft...fake.

freddiecable
Jun 4, 2007, 06:08 AM
of cource it's fake...it's a mock-up...but the "information" is interesting. personally I'm hesitant towards this rumour...brushed metal is more for pro - at least until today.

LeMarsu
Jun 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
Fake?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8679453@N04/529258452/

antic
Jun 4, 2007, 07:51 AM
I apologize for the pic, but I always thought this would be an awesome design (even though I doubt others would). Kind of inspired by an oldschool typewriter. I think it would be more ergonomical too since your neck is in a more neutral position....and it would be easy to add touch capability later. If anyone has photoshop skills, feel free to make a better mock up.

I used to have one just like that it was called the Commadore Pet

wyatt23
Jun 4, 2007, 08:10 AM
Fake?

yes? i hope not tho. that's pretty.

uv23
Jun 4, 2007, 09:18 AM
yes? i hope not tho. that's pretty.
Pretty useless. Unless you love having your neck craned constantly downward. The cinema displays have awful ergonomics. Modeling the iMac after them would be a travesty.

murfle
Jun 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
Fake?

Of course its fake. His tags consist of "Santa Rose", and he has a URL of www.apple.com. If this was some internal development of the website, it would be something like www-intra.apple.com or www-dev.apple-intra.com or something like that. I highly doubt apple would set their own internal DNS servers to point www.apple.com at their dev server.

MacBass
Jun 4, 2007, 09:23 AM
New iMac design without the chin:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2765/newimacrm5.jpg

Great, but where's the power supply going to go? I doubt that Apple will have another machine with a gigantic power brick, like the mini.

Vidd
Jun 4, 2007, 09:25 AM
Pfft...fake.

Not only fake but that's the image posted somewhere on these forums.

Chris Bangle
Jun 4, 2007, 10:03 AM
Great, but where's the power supply going to go? I doubt that Apple will have another machine with a gigantic power brick, like the mini.

Yes but a better looking imac or a powersupply. I think I would prefer the better looking compuer.

BenRoethig
Jun 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
Also click the all sizes option and take a good look at the legs.

javaguy
Jun 5, 2007, 09:08 PM
Just wanted to get my "official" speculations out there as 2 of my private predictions made it into the new macbooks. These are generally ideas that Apple might want to keep from u$oft. Note: I usually use Linux but my kids use a 1 GB 500 MHz iMac - its time for an upgrade.

1. The intro to iPhoto at WWDC 2006 had a really cool graphic showing a bunch of photo thumbnails coalescing into a shape. Animation would be an incredibly neat way to summarize and visually search through a photo album - could be a new feature of iPhoto. Start with a few standard surfaces and transitions (any suggestions for a basic list - I have a few) - control the speed as in iMovie. Allow 3rd parties to plug in their own shapes, provide a simple editor for developers. Would show off Core Graphics and low cost assuming that they used in house tools to create the demo.

2. Multi-touch touchpad as possible replacement for the mouse - about the size of the iPhone. Not a multi-touch screen - lifting your hands to a display is tiresome - that's why Microsoft Surface is a desk. Getting rid of the mouse would be revolutionary - of course this depends on whether or not the idea works in practice.

3. Sync software for iPhone. This one's obvious - couldn't be announced at WWDC 2006 because there was no iPhone announcement.

4. Phone App integrated into iCHat. Use your mac as a phone w. the same user interface as the iPhone. (see multi-touch touchpad #2). Link to Skype or other Voip provider, maybe a buyout or licensing with a Voip software developer. Voip API (Core Voip?). Include answering machine with both voice and video recorded messages. Allow static images for video iChat (for when you don't want to be seen. Don't think we'll see animated avatars doing a pretend lip sync for replacement images at this point, at least not from Apple, but since the API would led iChat be embedded into another app, this is a neat 3rd party possibility.

Higher level of decoding of camera images including support for cameras with builtin GPS - click on a picture and show where in the world the picture was taken, either via Google Earth or NASA's "World Wind" - see point 14.

5. Quicktime 8. YouTube's primary format is Flash - something has to be done to regain mindshare and Microsoft is aiming SilverLight at the same market. Not sure what Apple's response will be but a Quicktime codec for Flash might be one solution. iMovie could support Flash import.

6. Look for movement of some of the features of FinalCut to iMovie.

7. 2GB standard minimum on all systems. iMac => 8 GB max with 4 memory slots. (macBook Pro went to 2 GB standard w. 2 slots)

8. 802.11n ready systems. (already there in macBook pro and other systems.)

9. Higher res screen option - same as iPhone. (already available as an option for macBook pro). Look for a hires 30th anniversary iMac - I had thought of a 27" intermediate Cinema display but I don't see any other display out in that size. Dell's 27" display is the same res as the 24" iMac.) Clue is the resolution independent display engine.

10. All windows to be flippable (example shown at WWDC - this is not a new idea) with the ability to add multimedia annotations on the back. List of archived previous versions on the back. Developers should be able to add tabs for things such as "preferences".

11. As an example to developers AppleWorks apps might show you the differences between different versions of a document. Select a unit of text and display all variations - this shows off Time Machine.

12. ZFS file system - its known that Apple is trying to implement this as part of its collaboration with Sun - its not something that was at WWDC 2006. Support and sale of terrabyte drives as an option.

13. Java (J2ME) for the iPhone. Probably a reasonable and secure way to open up the iPhone to 2rd party developers. Apple did announce Sun's DTrace (a debugging tool) for the Leopard - this is probably a 3rd collaboration and I suspect Sun will bend over backwards to push this. Expect a Sun exec on stage as part of the keynote. Java 1.6 beta for the Mac to be reannounced -(1.6 has been available on the Mac since Feb.)

14. Sun recently demonstrated WorldWind, an app accessing a Nasa world wide database and u$oft has a .NET version. NASA wants to promote its availability. Apple might do a "me too" on this. (worldwind.arc.nasa.gov (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov))

15. Support for Blue Ray AND HD DVD RW. Optional new superdrive handling both. I suspect this might even make the next rev of Panther. Rational is not for video players but for studios, video professionals and for backup media.

I claim no special insight - I just wanted to see what people thought and listen to some other ideas before the launch.;)

appleii2mac
Jun 5, 2007, 09:45 PM
2. Multi-touch touchpad as possible replacement for the mouse - about the size of the iPhone. Not a multi-touch screen - lifting your hands to a display is tiresome - that's why Microsoft Surface is a desk. Getting rid of the mouse would be revolutionary - of course this depends on whether or not the idea works in practice.

Actually, the fact that MS felt the need to show it's Surface technology at All Things Digital made me think that they had somehow found out that Leopard and/or the new iMac's will feature Multi-touch. They didn't want to be seen as copying Apple again.

Naim135
Jun 6, 2007, 02:21 AM
Having seen the MBP upadtes its reasonable to assume the next imac's will have the latest Nvidia graphics so: 2.4Hz Quad core cpu with 8800GTS graphics, Dual Sata HDD for raid and 4-8GB ram, pretty safe bets as the above are freely available for PC's. Oh and also Touch screen as HP already have this in a recent PC release

and one last request built in DVB tv Tuner /'s please

then we have the perfect excuse to put one in the bedroom as well and the kitchen...:)

ISMPlus
Jun 6, 2007, 06:42 AM
both of them are great......one hand for each :D

hahahaha! OMG!!! You guys are too much! LOL

etorres
Jun 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
Some of the possible imac mockups look great, but ergonamically speaking they are bad. The brushed aluminum imac mockup previously shown whould be too low in the desk and would probably give you a sore neck after a couple of hours, and there is no way to adjust the stand as its built in.

I myself bought a 24" imac a few months back and its an excellent computer. The screen real estate is huge and it looks awesome on any desk. I even installed vista ultimate using bootcamp and it runs better on my imac with 1 Gb of ram than it does in my friends PC with 2 Gb of ram. My only gripe is the lack of a tv tuner. Apple was really shortsighted for not seeing the great potential the imac has as a total home entertainment system. So I'm stuck using elgato software which gives me less than desirable resolution for such a big screen. This is one area where Apple has let us all down for years.

Other than this I will use my old beat up IBM Thinkpad laptop for the next few months in order to get my hands on the new (and hopefully redisigned) macbooks that should be coming out by years end. Apple makes wonderful hardware, but there is definite room for improvement. I would rather have a tv tuner installed with native software from Apple built into OS X than a better graphics card or any negligable bump in CPU clock speed.

jordygreen
Jun 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
Some really great idea here i hope to see a stabdard 2GB RAM and possibly quadcore but i dont mind with dual core 2.4GHz and a TV tuner would solve a money problem as i need to buy a TV soon too so if i got that in it would be great!

I like that mockup of the aluminium iMac that looks like ACD but you would be straining your neck too much looking down at it.

Eidorian
Jun 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
Having seen the MBP upadtes its reasonable to assume the next imac's will have the latest Nvidia graphics so: 2.4Hz Quad core cpu with 8800GTS graphics, Dual Sata HDD for raid and 4-8GB ram, pretty safe bets as the above are freely available for PC's. Oh and also Touch screen as HP already have this in a recent PC release

and one last request built in DVB tv Tuner /'s please

then we have the perfect excuse to put one in the bedroom as well and the kitchen...:)I would like to know where Intel has a mobile quad core and trying to fit a desktop 8800 into an iMac.

You're already well into Mac Pro territory there.

bobber205
Jun 6, 2007, 02:48 PM
Of course its fake. His tags consist of "Santa Rose", and he has a URL of www.apple.com. If this was some internal development of the website, it would be something like www-intra.apple.com or www-dev.apple-intra.com or something like that. I highly doubt apple would set their own internal DNS servers to point www.apple.com at their dev server.
And the iMac font is different. :cool:

ISMPlus
Jun 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
OMG!!!!!! I had a bad bad bad dream about this... :eek: I read this thread early this morning then I took a nap (hooray for working at home! :D) I dreamt that the new iMacs were out and on display at an Apple Store. I went to see it. The front looked like it was made up of dark cheap looking plastic and the back looked industrial alright! It looked like it was made with silver looking iron and there were scratches, marks and dents all over the back... the shape looked like it was the back of a fan, you know, those floor-stand fans that swivel left and right... it looked hideous!!:eek: I asked the sale guy "WTH is this??" And he says 'oh it's the new iMac from Apple.' I'm like "WTH???? Why would they make something so fugly!!" A whole bunch of people looking at it had the same reaction I did! LOL .... I'm so glad it was just a dream!!

martianrobot
Jun 6, 2007, 07:07 PM
ignore... an accidental double posting!

martianrobot
Jun 6, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hi. I'm new here.

Here's my story... and some un-educated opinions on the 'new' iMacs.

Okay. After several months messing about with OSx86 on a 'Hackintosh' PC (without any real problems installing or using it I hasten to add), I decided to go legit and took the plunge and bought a mid-range MacBook ... 4 days before the last update. (Gutted? Indeed, but I couldn't be bothered to return and re-order, though I made them refund my credit card UK£50 - just enough to buy 2gb of third party RAM)

Anyway, I love my MacBook - it's cute and fast and cool, and I cant fault it for anything, except that I find the screen resolution a bit limiting for my graphics and web layout work. My PC is now a media/gaming centre only you see, plugged into a 26" LCD TV running at 1280x720, so I can't use that. I have contemplated using an external monitor with the MacBook when working from home, but hate the inelegance of that.

What I really want is a 24" iMac, but that's way beyond my price range, so I've been looking at the 20" iMac, and have found someone via eBay who may consider swapping their 6 month old one for my MacBook as they are going abroad.

Cool, you say, but what's all this navel-gazing leading to?

Well, obviously I can't go ahead with this swap now can I? Not until I've heard the skinny from next week's WWDC, and the revealing (or not, as the case may be) of lovely shiney new bits of kit to drool over.

However, I got to thinking... if they do go ahead with announcements of new consumer desktop hardware, will they release a radical new iMac design? Or will it be an incremental upgrade, the same as the recent MacBook & MacBook Pro updates?

I think it's preeeetty obvious that the latter is much much more likely, and they will probably hold off releasing a new iMac design and any major hardware update until after Leopard is released, or even have a simultaneous hard launch.

Some people might wonder why they would update their desktop just 4 months before the launch of a new desktop... well, wasn't the much improved iMac G5 with iSight released just 4 months before the radical switch to Intel hardware?

I think that there will be an update to the iMac as follows:

1) Both 20" and 24" will adopt the same nVidia GPU as seen in the new MacBook Pro - the 8600GT. They would not put a more powerful GPU than that because of heat and cost issues, but also because of marketing (i.e. consumer desktop cannot appear more powerful than the Pro kit, either desktop or mobile) though the 24" might be offered the 8600GTS variant as an option with more memory.

2) I can't see them upgrading the memory in an iMac to 2gb as standard, for same marketing reasons as above.

3) There will probably be a minor upgrade in minimum hard drive capacity and CPU speed, similar to MacBook Pro.

4) If the iMac 17" is retained, then there'll be a convergence to one model for the low-end/education market with Intel integrated graphics, 1gb RAM, 160/200gb hard disk and a Superdrive (the Combo drive will be dropped across the board this year - the fact that it exists in this day and age of a few dollars difference in manufacturing price just stinks of penny-pinching. I mean, in the case of the low-end MacBook : an otherwise highly capable notebook that costs UK£700... with a CD-writer? Ludicrous! ).

Can I just add - why oh why are people whining about the potential loss of the 17" iMac, and even go so far as to demand 15" iMacs? Why do people like and want *smaller* screens? Do they like to be restricted in their OSX desktop real estate, or just want to ruin their eyesight squinting?

A 17" widescreen is awful, in that you loose so much height from a normal 4:3 17" screen. Yet a 20" widescreen which offers so much more resolution, is the same height as a 4:3 17" and just a few inches wider.

I think it should be a minimum for any desktop PC - just the right resolution to fit more onto, yet also the right size for to feel comfortable with. Apple got it just right. And they are now cheap as you like - I picked up a brand new reasonable quality 20" widescreen for the XP computer I use in my employers office for just UK £112 the other day. I've tried several 22" monitors with the same resolution as a 20" before and they just felt wrong. Having said that, a 24" HD monitor like the one on the top-end iMac feels very very right :)

I digress.

As regards the radical new iMac desktop redesign that I predict will be out in October or thereabouts:

1) Aesthetically, it definitely WON'T be brushed aluminium as that styling is older than the white iMac and is too similar to Pro kit. It might resemble the iPhone and top-end iPods - glossy black, seamless screen-to-border styling, metal backed, all-in-one with superbly engineered adjustable height/tilt mechanism. Personally, I think it would look tacky though - I've seen some glossy black cased monitors and they are yuck. I just can't see how they can improve on the current design other than making it slimmer, improve heat exhaustion and noise, and, well, that's it. The reason the iMac aesthetics haven't changed in 3/4 years are because they hit the nail right on the head with a big fat lump hammer and produced an absolute instantly recognisable and completely lickable design classic (though I realise it's not to everyone's tastes. My mate who is a bigger Apple fan than me hates the white iMac and wishes it was silver - just the same as all the other PCs out there. Boring!)

2) Not touch screen - that will be for the sub-notebook and next generation laptops. Might have some element of that sort of touchable trickery though - possibly some kind of programmable keyboard/mouse/touchpad controller? Nothing too radically different that people will have to learn how to physically 'use' a computer again though.

3) Definitely no 30" iMac... the mega-dopper screen is for the Pro elite only. Though I can see how some slavish Apple fanatics would wank themselves silly for a UK£1999 limited edition 30th Anniversary 30" iMac in silver and black - but it would have to be splashproof ;)

4) Internal hardware specs - hard to say, but I can see BluRay as an option in my minds eye, proper desktop processors, 8600GT GPU as before, possibly some kind of digital TV functionality integrated into Front Row (but difficult due to varying worldwide TV standards, plus it would annoy their third-party hardware buddies ), 2gb RAM minimum, 500gb drive minimum, motion sensitive game remote, 3D virtual reality mind mapping interface, a BFG9000 free with every copy of Doom 4, wireless quadrophonic massage receptors, woofers and tweeters, a bag on yer head...

Okay, I'm getting carried away now, and it's bedtime... so I'll not continue with this hyper-speculative nonsense any more.

This has been my first post. I'm sorry. Be gentle.

Dimwhit
Jun 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
A well written post, martianrobot. I think you are (unfortunately) right on the timeline.

I was really hoping for a redesigned iMac for WWDC, but that's not looking likely. I've been waiting to buy a 24" iMac, so I'm going to do it as soon as the next upgrade happens, which will probably be an incremental upgrade toward the end of this month. Much as I'd love to wait until October (or whenever the new design comes out), I just can't wait that long. But a Santa Rosa iMac would still be a kickin' machine, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it.