Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Ok, I've just bought a second mac - little cheapie to use as a second machine.

The guy had it set up with three drives showing on the desktop: OSX, CLASSIC and FILES.

I don't need OS9/Classic, or the FILES folder, so I threw them in the trash & emptied it.

However, it's showing that I only have 4gig of space on the hard drive.

I went into system prefs/disc utility, and it's still showing the drives I deleted - although greyed out. Its seems to still be allocating them 5.9gb each of space....

In the column on the left in disc utility, it shows the following drive icons:

19.1 GB MAXTOR 92049U3

OSX

CLASSIC

FILES

I tried deleting them through utility, but I must have done something wrong, as they just popped up on my desktop again.

Any ideas....? Looks like I need to remove partitions.....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Ok, I've just bought a second mac - little cheapie to use as a second machine.

The guy had it set up with three drives showing on the desktop: OSX, CLASSIC and FILES.

I don't need OS9/Classic, or the FILES folder, so I threw them in the trash & emptied it.

However, it's showing that I only have 4gig of space on the hard drive.

I went into system prefs/disc utility, and it's still showing the drives I deleted - although greyed out. Its seems to still be allocating them 5.9gb each of space....

In the column on the left in disc utility, it shows the following drive icons:

19.1 GB MAXTOR 92049U3

OSX

CLASSIC

FILES

I tried deleting them through utility, but I must have done something wrong, as they just popped up on my desktop again.

Any ideas....? Looks like I need to remove partitions.....
Do you have three drives or one drive that is partitioned into three partitions? My guess is the later.

If you drag a partition to the trash under Mac OS X, you only unmount the partition or HD. They will appear on the desktop after you restart your Mac.

If you go to Disk Utilities, and you see the three partitions under the disk, then the only way that I know of, without using special software, to delete the partitions is to re-partition and/or re-format the HD.

Also, you can mount a partition via Disk Utilities. After you select a partition, you then click on the mount button.

If on the other hand, you have three internal drives, you might want to consider getting a larger drive if all three do not provide enough space.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Do you have three drives or one drive that is partitioned into three partitions? My guess is the later.

If you drag a partition to the trash under Mac OS X, you only unmount the partition or HD. They will appear on the desktop after you restart your Mac.

If you go to Disk Utilities, and you see the three partitions under the disk, then the only way that I know of, without using special software, to delete the partitions is to re-partition and/or re-format the HD.

Also, you can mount a partition via Disk Utilities. After you select a partition, you then click on the mount button.

If on the other hand, you have three internal drives, you might want to consider getting a larger drive if all three do not provide enough space.

No, it's definitely just three partitions, I'm just having problems getting it back down to one.....

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Delete the two extra partitions with Disk Utility. Then you'll need to resize the main partition, but I don't know if Disk Utility can do that (without losing data, I mean).

I'd consider a reinstall, that gets rid of all kinds of junk :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.