PDA

View Full Version : How long does your MP3 player take to wake up?

a456
May 22, 2007, 08:27 AM
I have only ever owned an iPod Nano and I have taken it for granted that in order to switch it on you press play and the screen comes on instantly. The other day however my father showed me his Samsung MP3 player, flash-based, and it had to boot-up like a computer. I was gob-smacked that one of the kings of flash-memory couldn't utilize it in the same way Apple does. It made me try and remember how long a full-size iPod takes, but I'd always thought that was instant as well (am I wrong?).

What about Zune? How long does that take to start from sleeping?

dXTC
May 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
My wife owns a Sandisk Sansa e250, and hers takes about 15-20 seconds to "boot" to its main screen. My nano does this in less than 2 seconds, as yours does. The only time I've seen it take longer is when I perform a manual reset.

I'm thinking that this phenomenon is due to what each company considers "off". Perhaps Samsung's and Sandisk's products turn completely off and must reload the OS, while Apple's products only go to a "sleep" mode. Again, this is just my speculation, so I could be way off the mark.

I haven't seen enough Zunes around to make a judgment. That in itself speaks volumes. :D

a456
May 24, 2007, 05:44 AM
Surely "booting" an MP3 player is a tedious chore. When you want to listen to music you want it then and there. This alone would stop me from switching from an iPod, and it must be a horrible shock to those that have made such a switch.

rosalindavenue
May 24, 2007, 08:42 AM
My 3G ipod takes 15-20 seconds to start up when it has been off for more than 24 hours. You turn it on and you get the apple logo screen for a very long time. I don't use mine every day so essentially I get this every time I use it-- very annoying. Do the newer large-capacity ones do this?

mkrishnan
May 24, 2007, 08:58 AM
My 3G ipod takes 15-20 seconds to start up when it has been off for more than 24 hours. You turn it on and you get the apple logo screen for a very long time. I don't use mine every day so essentially I get this every time I use it-- very annoying. Do the newer large-capacity ones do this?

I was under the impression that all hard-disk-based iPods do this? Although, I'm not certain. It's not so much that it's booting up. It's that it has two lower-power modes, analagous to sleep and shutdown on a computer. It goes to sleep for some time, and if it isn't turned back on, as I understand it, it ultimately powers down more fully to conserve battery. But maybe they eliminated this at some point and I missed it? (I also have a 3G).

To me, I hardly expect it to be better than anything on the market today. But I did get it well over three years ago, and it's been with me through marathons and hundreds of other miles of running, and it still looks and works well. I'm not that dissatisfied with it. Especially considering I don't think I have any IRL friends who have had a single MP3 player that long, regardless of brand.