PDA

View Full Version : iBook hard drive failure

rhpenguin
Jun 26, 2003, 04:21 PM
I bought my 12" iBook about a month ago and I take it everywhere. A few days ago the hard drive died in it. Im assuming that the reason it died is because I take it everywhere. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this? Could my problem just been a dead hard drive? Or was it because it couldnt take the abuse?

If anyone else has had a problem like this, lemme know.

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 26, 2003, 04:58 PM
I expect that you have a hard disk that was bad in the first place, or that it crapped out for a reason unrelated to hauling it around. The hard disks in iBooks are designed to last, man. No amount of hauling around should make any difference in hard disk failure. Take that sucker in and get a warranty replacement.

saabmp3
Jun 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
I've carried my 667 DVI EVERYWHERE as well (from a poolside to -30 (far) weather outside. Class to class and back to my dorm. It's never had a problem, I don't think that carrying your laptop around should give it any problems.

BEN

Independence
Jun 26, 2003, 05:48 PM
the hard disk was probably bad from the beginning. i have a 1994 IBM Thinkpad 755CE sitting on my desk beside my keyboard. its battery won't even hold a charge anymore but the hard disk still works great.

rainman::|:|
Jun 26, 2003, 06:30 PM
the ibook is meant to take considerable abuse... i agree, the HD was simply destined to fail. A certain percentage of computer parts won't survive the first few weeks of use... The chaos theory expressed in a mandelbrot fractal shows us that even the smallest defect will eventually completely flaw a system... and HD's have a lot of parts in them to potentially fail.

:)

mmm, i should go read jurassic park again...

pnw

Nermal
Jun 27, 2003, 01:27 AM
I've had my iBook for 4 1/2 months and I take it everywhere, and the HD still runs as good as new (as does the rest of the system). It's really unusual for it to break down after just a month. Get it replaced, that's what the warranty's for :)

jimthorn
Jun 27, 2003, 01:38 AM
As another iBook user, I agree with what everybody else is saying. I take my iBook everywhere and leave it running for days at a time. The HD should be able to take it.

:confused: I hope this isn't a potential problem with the current iBooks. I'm thinking about getting a new 900MHz one...

caveman_uk
Jun 27, 2003, 03:02 AM
It's just a dodgy hard drive. Get it fixed under warranty. My ibook's only 7 months old but has been dragged all over including international flights and the tender mercies of the London underground (subway) on a regular basis and only has a few light scratches to show for it. They're pretty tough machines....

rhpenguin
Jun 27, 2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Ive already had it replaced under warranty, but was just feeling for some feedback from the community.

Thanks for the input!

RHPeNgUiN