PDA

View Full Version : iPhone demand will outstrip supply

MacBytes
May 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPhone demand will outstrip supply (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070523100851)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
May 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
this from the "water is wet" and "blue sky is blue" department.

film at 11:00. :)

foodog
May 23, 2007, 09:17 AM
this from the "water is wet" and "blue sky is blue" department.

film at 11:00. :)

Wait a minute..... you claim water is wet?

whooleytoo
May 23, 2007, 09:49 AM
?

Didn't a previous story say there were no pre-orders for the iPhone, it would only be strictly available on a first-come, first-served basis? (Or was that just Apple stores?)

The figures aren't THAT impressive in any case, an average of 25 people on a waiting list, with a previous story confirming 2,000 iPhone outlets at launch, that's only 50,000 units.

Squonk
May 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
Is this news?
Does this surprise anyone?

I'm not on a waiting list, but I am hopeful to pick one up this summer sometime...

SPUY767
May 23, 2007, 10:09 AM
The article claims that 64% of stores have a waiting list of 25 people or more, yet. . . Apple's contract with AT&T released recently stipulates that the iPhone is to be sold on a first come first serve basis with no waiting lists allowed.

Texas04
May 23, 2007, 10:24 AM
The article claims that 64% of stores have a waiting list of 25 people or more, yet. . . Apple's contract with AT&T released recently stipulates that the iPhone is to be sold on a first come first serve basis with no waiting lists allowed.

The only way for that to be a true claim is if other stores began selling the phone, however I also do believe that AT&T stores and Apple stores are the only places that will sell the phones.

Personally I believe that they may be hard to get the first few days, much like most Mac products, however I believe that within a week or so, three max, there will be enough to go around.

The price is just simply to high for a phone, especially if you already have an iPod.

rjwill246
May 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
?

Didn't a previous story say there were no pre-orders for the iPhone, it would only be strictly available on a first-come, first-served basis? (Or was that just Apple stores?)

The figures aren't THAT impressive in any case, an average of 25 people on a waiting list, with a previous story confirming 2,000 iPhone outlets at launch, that's only 50,000 units.

Mmmm... what about this, in the SAME article...
---had 1,979 people on its waiting list. Another store said ‘we cannot give out that figure but the waiting list is running into the thousands.’ Another store reported that the number of calls for the phone was ‘indeterminable’ as the numbers were massive.”

There are no official waiting lists. ATT has made this clear!!! Given that, the above is astounding. ATT CEO said this will be the greatest launch of a consumer product in history.

The "25" number is meaningless.

whooleytoo
May 23, 2007, 10:48 AM
Mmmm... what about this, in the SAME article...
---had 1,979 people on its waiting list. Another store said ‘we cannot give out that figure but the waiting list is running into the thousands.’ Another store reported that the number of calls for the phone was ‘indeterminable’ as the numbers were massive.”

There are no official waiting lists. ATT has made this clear!!! Given that, the above is astounding. ATT CEO said this will be the greatest launch of a consumer product in history.

The "25" number is meaningless.

The number 1979 is meaningless if that's just one or two stores and all the rest are averaging 25 per store.

Of course, you could argue all these numbers are meaningless, and you might have a point! ;)

montex
May 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
The price is just simply to high for a phone, especially if you already have an iPod.

True, the price is too high for a phone. But iPhone is much more than "just a phone". It's a Mac. One you can carry with you everywhere. And I don't expect that the people who don't know what good a Mac is to get the iPhone either.

mainstreetmark
May 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
I wonder where and how long the record line will be. If people camp out for store openings, and this thing is first-come first-serve, there's gonna be some uberlines forming. I should be able to see one by looking out the window at some point.

whooleytoo
May 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
I wonder where and how long the record line will be. If people camp out for store openings, and this thing is first-come first-serve, there's gonna be some uberlines forming. I should be able to see one by looking out the window at some point.

With the judicious placement of a few Acme "Detour" and "Queue here" signs, you should be able to divert the queue through your office, thus being able to queue while you work.

Never mind that, just buy yourself a black Apple T-shirt, a fake name badge and hang around the back of your nearest Apple Store for the delivery truck to arrive.. Just remember DON'T SIGN YOUR REAL NAME!

fairnymph
May 23, 2007, 11:25 AM
I think there will be adequate supply, because Apple is planning for the demand and because it's such a high priced item, and dependent on phone contracts...it's not going to be such a casual purchase for so many.

nagromme
May 23, 2007, 11:45 AM
Demand will be huge--but MAYBE Apple can have enough made. Maybe.

As for the waiting lists... maybe they just mean "people waiting to be notified" rather than a true "place reserved in line."

TheSlush
May 23, 2007, 12:31 PM

Then I guess I'm lucky that they're building a new NYC Apple Store just two blocks down from my new apartment! :D
Photos: Apple Store NY Construction (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/06/photos-apple-store-ny-construction/)

montex
May 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
Apple has a long history of product shortages. The people at Apple who are the WORST at their jobs are those who make the projected sales charts. They are consistently wrong! How many times have you purchased something from Apple online, only to get an email that says your item is backordered and will not ship for several weeks?

The #1 reason I expect to buy the 8GB iPhone is because the 4GB will likely be sold out by the time I get to the front of the line. Don't get me wrong - I loves me some Apple. But their repeated mishandling of new products is quite frustrating.

IJ Reilly
May 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Apple has a long history of product shortages.

They also have a history of excess inventories. A shortage of products, provided they aren't too severe and lasting, is a far more desirable situation than having to warehouse unsold product. Probably every really desirable consumer electronics product in recent years has been in short supply at one time or other, usually right at the release date. It's to be expected.

AlmostThere
May 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
Apple has a long history of product shortages. The people at Apple who are the WORST at their jobs are those who make the projected sales charts. They are consistently wrong! How many times have you purchased something from Apple online, only to get an email that says your item is backordered and will not ship for several weeks?

Very true but Apple also thrives on this. The iPhone is a hotly awaited product and while they obviously want to sell as many as possible it will do Apple little harm in the long run if it is publically seen to be in high demand with product shortages around launch.

mklos
May 23, 2007, 06:00 PM
They also have a history of excess inventories. A shortage of products, provided they aren't too severe and lasting, is a far more desirable situation than having to warehouse unsold product. Probably every really desirable consumer electronics product in recent years has been in short supply at one time or other, usually right at the release date. It's to be expected.

Ahh! Very good point. I believe the PowerMac G4 Cube was one of those models if I remember correctly. Apple thought it would be a hit and made a fairly large inventory, but because of the pricing issues it had, nobody bought it and they were stuck with massive inventories of G4 Cubes. Then even lowered the price and were still stuck with them. That costs Apple a lot of money. They've spent the money on parts and many other things to assemble the product and it just sits in a warehouse and nobody makes any money with their product sitting in a warehouse.

Nearly every major product has a shortage initially after its launch. I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT Sport and I ordered it last May and didn't get it until September. A 4 month wait, 2 of the months my order sat on a waiting list for it to be built. So this isn't uncommon in any market.

IJ Reilly
May 23, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ahh! Very good point. I believe the PowerMac G4 Cube was one of those models if I remember correctly. Apple thought it would be a hit and made a fairly large inventory, but because of the pricing issues it had, nobody bought it and they were stuck with massive inventories of G4 Cubes. Then even lowered the price and were still stuck with them.

Other Apple products have experienced even larger excess inventories. I'm not recalling which one at the moment (the PM 7300 comes to mind), but large numbers of one particularly poor-selling Mac model from the mid-'90s hit the landfills in volume. That's worst case scenario, but even having more than a couple of weeks of supply on-hand for popular products costs money. Excess inventories was one of the problems Steve Jobs got a handle on when he returned to Apple. This was one of his early success stories as CEO.

twoodcc
May 23, 2007, 11:03 PM
well i guess this good for apple. not good for me trying to get an iPhone though

montex
May 24, 2007, 11:37 AM
I really hope that Apple makes as many iPhones as it possibly can and not choose to artificially constrict their inventories. Sure, it makes the bean counters happy to have back orders piled up on their desks, but it sucks for the consumer. It leaves a sour taste in one's mouth to have a product hyped for 6 months and then being told you have to wait longer because they didn't think they'd sell so many. I also think if I'm buying a premium product then I should get excellent service - it's not like I'm picking up an iPhone off some giant palette at Costco.

Apple can really screw this up if they don't do it right. Let's hope they value their customers and reputation more than their accounting staff.

Rodimus Prime
May 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
My answer is well duh. What do you expect from apple paper launches. It be at least a month from there before we will really see it.

eyebeaz
May 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
It's just like any other anticipated electronic product that comes out.. look at all the new gaming consoles when they came out. There is always a shortage and that's just the way it works. It's not about valuing customers more than the accounting staff.. it's about trying to profit and not lose money.

iHerzeleid
May 26, 2007, 07:17 PM
Well duh!