Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
In this thread here, someone added "(Spoilers Inside)" to the thread title; I'm assuming at the frantic request of CanadaRam.

I didn't say anything about it in the thread because I didn't want to detract from the ongoing discussion of the movie, but I think this rule of having to incorporate a spoiler warning into the thread title is extremely silly and unnecessary.

The original thread title million dollar baby - the movie was plenty sufficient to alert forum members of story line details included in the thread. After all, when the thread title says "the movie" - I would think that would be a plenty sufficient warning of pending details. :cool:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
maybe that is a bit over the top (needing to put spoiler warnings in subjects) BUT even when people clearly stated that you should white text or warn SOMEHOW with a spoiler warning you still didn't bother to edit your post. So your title got it instead. Had I not seen the movie I would have been pissed too. Give some kind of warning if you are going to spoil the ending. Just as you saw it a while after release, others follow similar patterns.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It should be expected though in a thread with the title of the movie. If it was a generic thread about movies, a spoiler tag and/or white text would have been appropriate. But a thread titled with the name of the movie I would just assume people were talking about the movie and I would probably veer away from it if I didn't want to know anything about it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you can talk about any movie and have a discussion about it without any spoilers in the conversations, which is why having a warning is nice. or if we implemented the spoiler tags that'd work nicely too instead of 'white text'

and no, i don't think giving a warning is silly.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If a movie has been out for more then a year I think it is fair game.

I would like to see the spoiler tags installed tho.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Honestly, I think if you are going to reveal a plot point (I'm not talking about what you *think* is going to happen, I'm saying a full on reveal of what you know) you should put up *spoiler* in the title.

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
I back very much CanadaRam's view... if one wishes to detail the storyline of a recent film then if only out of shear courtesy to other forum members one should slap a nice big fat spoiler notice beforehand.

- Dal

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
"Million Dollar Baby" has been out for how many years now? I think that the majority of people that were going to see the movie have done so. If there is a discussion about the movie and you haven't seen it yet I would assume that things are going to be said about the plot and would not bother to read the thread.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
When talking about a specific movie there's only so far you can go before the discussion has to veer into plot points. You can discuss the acting/costumes/directing/effects ad nauseam but without plot points the movie discussion is somewhat limited and would get boring very quickly.

I can see posting warnings when discussing an upcoming movie when linking to/quoting articles and reviews that might give away points that could ruin it for others, however once the movie is released/show has aired spoilers in the threads should be assumed and if you don't want them don't read them. Some people are considerate and post spoilers in white text (I'm not usually one of them).

If the show has aired anywhere I stand firmly in the belief that any thread about that particular show can/will then contain spoilers. I'm even one who often doesn't get to watch a show for 2-3 days after it has aired so my solution has been to avoid the thread(s) until I watch (unless I don't care about ruining surprises) so it's not like I'm always one of the first to watch. Yes any point I may have wished to make about the episode may have already been covered but that's OK, I don't need to up my post count, and I realize I'm not always the first with every theory.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The movie came on in Jan of 2005 and was released on DVD in July of 2005... it's been out plenty of time... Vader is Luke's dad, and E.T. phones home at this point...

I'm not saying they couldn't have put spoiler in the title, I just think at some point it doesn't mandate it anymore... personally after about Aug/Sep of 2005 I would have expected those who have seen it to have seen and those that haven't to not go looking at information on it if they were that concerned with the ending.

In a similar vein, all the TV Show threads we have contain no mention of plot spoiler in the title. People are usually courteous on the day or day after of airing but after that everybody assumes you know what happened on the last episode and it's talked about without white text and spoiler tags.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I would love to see spoiler tags.

I also see the reasoning for the (Spoilers) on your thread as 1) It's completely possible to talk about movies without revealing key plot points.

2) In your thread, the plot points were given away in the first post. Someone entering the thread looking for reviews had no chance to gauge the direction of the thread before the plot points were revealed.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
In most of the TV show threads everyone agreed that we would post spoilers and that if you don't want to know that happens just don't read the thread.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I think I'm on the fence on this one. I appreciate the role that a spoiler tag (or white text) can play...but I'm like SilentPanda, I wouldn't be entering a thread about a movie/book/show without expecting the plot of the work being discussed. When the name of the thread is simply the title of the work, the plot is *exactly* what I expect to find in there.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I do agree with CanadaRAM that I like to read threads giving general opinions of movies I haven't seen but don't want to read spoilers. Spoiler warnings in the thread title, white text, or a forum system for spoilers would all be fine in my view, but there should be some mechanism for providing warnings. I don't see how adding it hurts anyone, so why not do it?

Yes, I'm the mod who added the spoiler warning to the thread title after it was reported by someone, and that someone wasn't CanadaRAM.

I also added it to the thread about The Office after someone else reported it earlier this week. I almost got caught by that one myself. The thread was started before the show aired with speculation about how the season finale would go, and I followed the discussion for a bit. Later that day I saw there were new posts and clicked through to the thread, not realizing that the show had already aired on the East Coast and that people were discussing it. Fortunately nothing was really given away in the first post or two after airing, so I escaped with my ignorance intact.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
In most of the TV show threads everyone agreed that we would post spoilers and that if you don't want to know that happens just don't read the thread.

I also think the key difference is that most of the TV series we have threads about (Heroes, Lost, 24) are highly plot driven. While the characters are compelling, it's the on going plot that draws the commentary in the forums...also, these are complex plots that invite discussion of future events based on past occurrences and possible foreshadowing. You're basically expected to know what is going on or get caught up quickly.

A movie on the other hand (even if it has sequels)...is pretty much self contained. It's easier to talk about the experience as a whole, the production value, compare it to other movies of the same genre. While it will eventually lead to plot-point discussions, one doesn't go into the thread necessarily expecting a shotgun to the head of little plot-point pellets.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I know the spoiler tag issue was brought up a few months ago, Is there any consensus about adding it from the higher ups?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Last year the regulars in the 24 thread decided that it will be a view at your own risk thread.

The episode when Edgar died tho we managed to keep quite till 1am for the west coast.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I also think the key difference is that most of the TV series we have threads about (Heroes, Lost, 24) are highly plot driven. While the characters are compelling, it's the on going plot that draws the commentary in the forums...also, these are complex plots that invite discussion of future events based on past occurrences and possible foreshadowing. You're basically expected to know what is going on or get caught up quickly.

A movie on the other hand (even if it has sequels)...is pretty much self contained. It's easier to talk about the experience as a whole, the production value, compare it to other movies of the same genre. While it will eventually lead to plot-point discussions, one doesn't go into the thread necessarily expecting a shotgun to the head of little plot-point pellets.

But a movie is ultimately plot driven as well. You can talk overall/and non plot points only so long before the plot will come up. You could have the best effects/direction/acting/every other aspect but if there is not a compelling plot you won't get much discussion.

Last year the regulars in the 24 thread decided that it will be a view at your own risk thread.

The episode when Edgar died tho we managed to keep quite till 1am for the west coast.

Now that deserved a spoiler tag.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I know the spoiler tag issue was brought up a few months ago, Is there any consensus about adding it from the higher ups?

I've raised the issue...we'll get back to you.

Just out of curiousity then- how has the Heroes thread and the 24 thread gone this long without spoiler tags?

No one reported them. They apparently got to the stage where they were so long that it was obvious that it was an ongoing thread discussing the latest happenings. That's not so obvious when threads are short.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I've raised the issue...we'll get back to you.

No one reported them. They apparently got to the stage where they were so long that it was obvious that it was an ongoing thread discussing the latest happenings. That's not so obvious when threads are short.
When I started the 24 thread this year I said up front that spoilers will happen in big red letters.
The new trailer is out and we are only 2 months away from a new season of 24 as the buzz has started to build. So rather then keep the old thread going, this is the 24 season 6 thread.:)

CAUTION: This thread will contain spoilers. If you haven't watched the latest episode and don't want to know what happens then Don't read this thread.

View this thread at your own risk.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.