PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Favourite First Person Shooter (Mac or Windows)

aaron.lee2006
May 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
Mine is Call of Duty and Counter-Strike 1.6 or Source.

How bout you?

Veritas&Equitas
May 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
Used to be CS, then RTCW, then SoFII, and probably BF2 for the past couple of years.

Chone
May 23, 2007, 06:28 PM
The Marathon Trilogy no doubt about it.

Mantronix
May 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Farcry.

colocolo
May 23, 2007, 07:06 PM
Marathon, by a wide margin.

machris
May 23, 2007, 07:17 PM
Windows: Tribes 1 and 2, CS, and BF2
Mac OSX: Marathon Trilogy

Dont Hurt Me
May 23, 2007, 07:29 PM
HL2 without doubt. The series is the cream of the crop.

sb58
May 23, 2007, 08:13 PM
Halo/Half Life2

PlaceofDis
May 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
Doom/DoomII

haha. well i still do enjoy playing them every now and then. just cause. i also have Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny too that i occasionlly boot up for giggles.

but of the more current ones... HL2 is stellar.

Jasonbot
May 23, 2007, 11:15 PM
I've been enjoying Half Life 2 recently, other shooters I've played include FEAR, Various Half Life itinerations, Far Cry, Duke Nukem 3D and others.

Gymnut
May 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
Medal of Honor series.

ZorPrime
May 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
The Marathon Trilogy no doubt about it.

I second that. Indubitably so. :cool:

crap freakboy
May 24, 2007, 02:14 AM
Quake3- no contest
then HL2, COD

Sharewaredemon
May 24, 2007, 05:27 AM
Marathon

CS Source

tyr2
May 24, 2007, 05:35 AM
Deus Ex.

The original one, not the poor sequel.

2ndPath
May 24, 2007, 05:40 AM
Far Cry

c-Row
May 24, 2007, 06:15 AM
Single Player - System Shock 2 (nothing can beat its atmosphere), Half-Life 2
Multiplayer - Quake 3 Arena, Alien vs. Predator

We had a nice little LAN session which had lost its drive around midnight, until someone suggested we should install Alien vs. Predator for a short multiplayer match. Seven marines hunting down one Predator... or so was the plan. Due to the level design, the lightning (or lack thereof) and the speed of the Predator, we were more busy shouting "Contaaaaaaaact!" and gunning each other down instead of the Predator. That was a hell lot of fun! :cool:

Fezwick
May 24, 2007, 07:42 AM
Deus Ex.

Seconded. I never played the second one as it never came to Mac and I didn't have an Xbox, but I read reviews stating that it wasn't even close to the original.

I hope the next one (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789355p1.html) will be better.

statikcat
May 24, 2007, 08:10 AM
Oh wow.. How could I forget about Deus Ex??! I loved playing that game..

I would have to say

Half Life 1 - Mind blowing for its time.. great monsters and gameplay. Much better than HL2 in most ways

Deus Ex - I played the crap of out this in high school. Very innovative futuristic FPS. Could upgrade body parts and learn ways around security. Very cool enemies including guard robots!

Doom III - What is to say? Cool sequel not much needs said. Got a little repititious though..

Solder of Fortune I+II - I am sorry but it is hard to beat these games when you just want to plow through bad guys. Easily the most violent FPS I have ever seen. I loved shooting off arms with the shotgun and the difficult crotchshot (lol). Very cool maps.. sometimes in a mansion sometimes out in the jungle! The jungle level on II was really awesome. And the bad guys yelling in diff languages depending on where you were.

AVP 1 - Easily the hardest FPS I have ever played. The Marine vs Alien was actually scary! =-o

Quake 4 - Great graphics that ran well without the latest and greatest hardware. Very cool interaction to give you that "movie" feel and great overall everything.

Ok that is all. I couldn't pick one. I love all of the above for different reasons! I think they are all very original in their own way.. and stand on their own above the rest!

mattscott306
May 24, 2007, 08:40 AM
It's a toss up for me it's either Doom or the Dark Forces Series (well Dark Forces, Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, and Jedi Knight 2).

phillipjfry
May 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, I didn't think there was anything out there other than CS Source :)

I hated quake 4 cause I can not get the online version to work. Always getting the "server has some file you do not", and I can't find a server that works, or patches/packs to download to get online version to work

I love bf2 too.

epochblue
May 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
Quake 2 or Quake 3 Arena.

Both were just so well done....

kiang
May 24, 2007, 01:03 PM
Far Cry, undoubtedly :D

The huge maps beautiful maps (really, you gotta love the beach-levels), the choice of attack style (tactical sneaking or spray 'n pray are both good tactics in the game) and the nice physics are just some factors which make it to my all time favorite FPS :p
I'm SO looking forward to Crysis (http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456/)

Jasonbot
May 24, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm SO looking forward to Crysis (http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456/)

Looks like Gears of War crossed with Starship Troopers:eek:

kiang
May 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like Gears of War crossed with Starship Troopers:eek:

AND it's BETTER :D lol
no seriously: it will use CryEngine 2, which will be like the best FPS-engine around for some time, just as CryEngine 1 was. really, the result it delivers compared to any other engine on the same machine is really... WOW :p
I suppose it will use DirectX 10, so there... my first reason to get Vista :p

Schmittroth
May 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
Let's hear it for Unreal Tournament both 99 and 2K4. Crazy weapons, great scaleable graphics and tons of modes, mods and conversions. It can be almost any game you want it to be. Still some great servers out there today.

Mavimao
May 24, 2007, 03:40 PM
I give one vote for Marathon.

But I'd love to give props to Doom and Doom 2, Open Arena, and of course, Goldeneye.

twistedlegato
May 24, 2007, 03:45 PM
Halo is my first, so i guess its not favorite because i have not played any others!

kiang
May 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
Let's hear it for Unreal Tournament both 99 and 2K4. Crazy weapons, great scaleable graphics and tons of modes, mods and conversions. It can be almost any game you want it to be. Still some great servers out there today.

yup, great game, certainly my #2, rightbehind FarCry :p
thirdplace is a shared one, between Need For Speed Carbon and Rise of Legends
But I guess my top 3 will change soon, cause I'm gonna buy Supreme Commander, and it WILL rock :p

myjellyass
May 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Unreal Tournament yet!

That's what I'm spending my days doing; playing Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition. Hopefully going to buy 2004 as soon as i can find somewhere that does it for the mac at a reasonable price near me.

EDIT: Sorry, only got to the end of page one, didn't realise the posts on this page. But yes, I have to agree with you on Unreal Tournament

SpankyPenzaanz
May 24, 2007, 05:21 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Brothers in Arms

lu0s3r322
May 24, 2007, 10:22 PM
I've been playing Battlefield 2 ever since I got it the day it came out.

But I'm REALLY excited for Crysis and Assassin's Creed if you can call it a first person shooter.

Luis
May 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
Another vote here for UT2K4!

G.Kirby
May 25, 2007, 05:44 AM
The Marathon games and Mods (Evil) also Return to Castle Wolfenstein is always good for a blast. :)

MikeDTyke
May 25, 2007, 06:20 AM
The glorious Counter Strike Source or for a bit of a razzle UT2004.

I know people slate UT, but i find it good for a laugh.

What isn't funny is how long we've had to wait for the follow up. UT2007. Was supposed to be out last Oct. :mad:

jdechko
May 25, 2007, 09:19 AM
Half-Life 1 w/ Mods (CS, Blue Shift, and OpFor)
UT 99 (favorite was 12 people on the Civil War CTF map with low gravity and rocket jumps and the Big Bridge CTF map with low gravity)
UT2k4

bluewire
May 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
UT2k4 for the win. Pretty snappy network code, I rarely have problems. Sure its not realistic but its always fun to pop in for some Onslaught and be able to hop on back out. And still good servers out there and it runs nice. Its graphics are aging a little bit but it still looks glorious on my 2' iMac

:)

MacsRgr8
May 25, 2007, 02:45 PM
MOH series, then COD series... in that order just because MOH was earlier.

Madly in love with Wolfenstein 3D when it came out, and also Doom!

But MOH had more of that "feeling with the shooter himself".. if you know what I mean...

Erasmus
May 25, 2007, 07:31 PM
Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge 3.0

: )

(Damn. My "David Raider" avatar looks crap. Back to "David Marathon Symbol" avatar)

fireball jones
May 25, 2007, 10:13 PM
Day of Defeat and UT99 were both great. Admittely, I enjoyed UT more because it was shared on our college network :rolleyes: ;)

applekid
May 25, 2007, 10:59 PM
Tough call. The WWII shooters are good for a long while, but not my top favorites. They have excellent single player campaigns on the most part, so definitely props to the CoD or MoH series for that.

Halo is with the WWII shooters in my opinion. Good for a long while, but just not at the top. I actually enjoy the sci-fi story aspect of it more than anything.

Doing a pick up game of Far Cry at my friend's house over the LAN is always fun. Something about that game in multiplayer worked well, although very simple.

UT2K4 is an excellent choice for multiplayer.

Battlefield 2 is my current favorite FPS.

smwatson
May 27, 2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing comes close to Counter Strike Source.

Maybe the original Unreal Tournament.

failsafe1
May 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
Half Life series for me.

dollystereo
May 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
Quake 3

Xavier
May 27, 2007, 11:20 PM
The original Doom. That got me hocked on FPS after playing it with my friend over LAN really really late

CmdrLaForge
May 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
Deus Ex.

I second that - I really liked that game.

Dagless
May 28, 2007, 01:35 PM
Where's the GoW link to Crysis?! Visually they're both miles apart, one going for a realistic look, the other going for a plastercine look.

Anyroad! My fave is definitely HL2: Deathmatch. I spend at least an hour on it a day.
I feel let down with games like Prey, Quake 4, Doom 3, FarCry, Unreal Tournaments. They didn't feel fresh in the slightest. Physics really brought HL2 to life for me and absolutely changed FPS gameplay for the good with the gravity gun.

Oh, and give me Crysis too :D sandbox FPS with RPG elements? Yes please.

HengenJL
May 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
Tribes and Unreal Tourney were the 2 big ones when I was in college. nowadays I dont play FPS, lost interest in it.

fastlane1588
May 28, 2007, 04:23 PM
its sad that you can only play cs sourse on windows....im wasting a lot of diskspace through bootcamp to keep windows for that game....if only there was a way to get it on the osx side

aaron.lee2006
May 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
its sad that you can only play cs sourse on windows....im wasting a lot of diskspace through bootcamp to keep windows for that game....if only there was a way to get it on the osx side

Crossover for Mac :)

You can run some Windows programs in OS X. I have personally tried CS Source. It seemed to work pretty well.

Best thing of all, you don't need Windows :D

keysersoze
May 30, 2007, 09:20 AM
FEAR.

Not the expansion.

mahashel
May 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
Put my vote up as another tally mark for the Deus Ex crowd.
Fabulous game. I played the sequel on Xbox. Very pretty, but harder to get into. The original was darker, more unpredictable, and you never knew who to trust. The sequel had major "friend or foe" twists but nowhere nearly as gritty as the first game.

Far Cry is great as well. It scales nicely to newer hardware, too. It looks good for a game as long in the tooth as it is.

metgear723
May 30, 2007, 07:08 PM
Halo on my computer
CS Source when I can get the chance to play on my friends windows machine (i suck massively at it)

scottrob
May 31, 2007, 07:24 AM
Painkiller for Windows

FireArse
May 31, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hl2

ColeSear
May 31, 2007, 07:59 AM
Max Payne 2

juanm
May 31, 2007, 09:51 AM
The first of the Rainbow Six series. The original. The only game I've ever been good at. Back in 1998. Actually, I installed a few days ago Raven Shield for Mac (it's the third game) and it's nice, but... not the same.

Flickta
May 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon ?
Max Payne
Vivisector: Beast Inside

zac4mac
May 31, 2007, 02:48 PM
Doom series - 1, 2 and 3 - they set the pace for a lot of years
Star Wars - Jedi Outcast and Academy - love chopping up bad guys with the light sabre and all the acrobatics you can do.

#1: HL2, that is the main reason I bought XP Pro for my MBP. mmmmmmmmm, Gravity Gun.

Z

sunfast
Jun 1, 2007, 09:41 AM
I absolutely adore RTCW. I don't know why I love it so much but I think it's awesome.

Dagless
Jun 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
I haven't play RTCW in a long time. Great game it was, though I found it got a bit boring in the caves towards the end.

Just bought Episode 1, about to play it :) Should be fun! I got HL1 deathmatch for free with Ep1. Which is awfully nice.

gkarris
Jun 1, 2007, 01:23 PM
Quake and UT.

GoW and Metroid are awesome but those are on consoles...

It's a great time for gaming!!!

Xeem
Jun 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
Marathon, hands down.

kevinliu4
Jun 2, 2007, 03:24 AM
I have played almost every FPS out there.

The series which sticks in my mind is Soldier of Fortune...both were great. Most fun bar none.

Bobdude161
Jun 2, 2007, 08:21 AM
Half-Life. Scared me to death when I played it and it still does.

RaMaz
Jun 2, 2007, 08:55 AM
Call Of Duty 2 (Mac, Win, and Xbox)

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 2, 2007, 03:41 PM
The series which sticks in my mind is Soldier of Fortune...both were great. Most fun bar none.
Ain't that the truth! Love that game. SoFII was a religion for my college dorm. LAN games of 16v16 never get old, especially when you can run out in the hall after the round and get in your next door neighbors grill about how bad his aim is.

bluedevil14
Jun 2, 2007, 03:48 PM
halo ftw

Miguey
Jun 2, 2007, 11:53 PM
Does Spectre Challenger count?

/reminisces on OS 7....

For windows, its Counter-strike...

Mav451
Jun 3, 2007, 08:44 AM
CS1.6

Up to that point, most shooters had made me incredibly sick to my stomach, e.g. Doom/Quake II/etc. However, there was something about CS1.6 that didn't make me sick like the other games--and b/c of CS1.6, I was finally able to get into my first FPS.

CS1.6 and Source remain the only FPSs that don't get me sick. HL2 makes me insanely dizzy, that even to this day I cannot finish the game. I can play hours of CS:S, but anything more than 10-15mins and I'm not feeling well in HL2.