PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBook Model ID's?

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2003, 12:20 AM
One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2
PowerBook5,2
PowerBook6,3
PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1
17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1
15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2

Ja Di ksw
Jun 27, 2003, 12:30 AM
So they know about new powerbooks that are coming. That's not really news, of course they're going to be making new powerbooks. It's not like they've stopped upgrading them

stefman
Jun 27, 2003, 12:31 AM
Interesting!

4 models of PB? I guess the 15" will have 2 configurations as current.

Wonder why apple is taking so long to release the revised 15" PB. I am waiting and getting impatient.

nagromme
Jun 27, 2003, 12:52 AM
I can't make those numbers make any kind of sense, but 4 new models is what we'd expect in the near future:

New 12"
Two new 15"
New 17"

Here's hoping for 7457s in the whole line.

Wyrm
Jun 27, 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
I can't make those numbers make any kind of sense, but 4 new models is what we'd expect in the near future:

New 12"
Two new 15"
New 17"

Here's hoping for 7457s in the whole line.

By my guess math I get

2 new 12" Versions (PowerBook6,2, PowerBook6,3)
2 new 17" Versions (PowerBook5,2, PowerBook5,3)

(these could be the next 2 revision placeholders)

NO 15" VERSION!!!! (PowerBook3,????? Gone?)

Aiiieeeeee.

-Wyrm

canadianmacguy
Jun 27, 2003, 12:59 AM
Does no one respect an NDA anymore.. it's so sad sometimes..

Freg3000
Jun 27, 2003, 01:12 AM
This seems to suggest the next PowerBooks updates featuring updates 12 inchers (Combo & SuperDrive) and the 17" inchers (SuperDrive & hmmmm?). But where is the 15" update!?!?!

By the way, who the hell found this? :)

Nermal
Jun 27, 2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by canadianmacguy

Rules are there to be broken :D

jbomber
Jun 27, 2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
Rules are there to be broken :D

So are necks... :mad:

it better not be true.

cb911
Jun 27, 2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Wyrm
By my guess math I get

2 new 12" Versions (PowerBook6,2, PowerBook6,3)
2 new 17" Versions (PowerBook5,2, PowerBook5,3)

(these could be the next 2 revision placeholders)

NO 15" VERSION!!!! (PowerBook3,????? Gone?)

Aiiieeeeee.

-Wyrm

i'm with you Wyrm. if 3.? is the number for the 15", then that means it's left out.

and where did this come from anyway? buried deep inside Panther somewhere? the code for the 15" could have just been left out, or in a different section. but what was this in Panther for anyway? i've got alot of questions for the person that found this...

i really doubt that they'll drop the 15" PB. the 15" is the most perfect size notebook ever created!! this is a page 2 rumor for a reason.

pellucidity
Jun 27, 2003, 05:16 AM
I suspect the 3.x line is dead simply because the new 15" powerbooks, though they will have Moto chips, will not be titanium... I would suggest that the 15" and 17" are considered close relatives by Apple.

The 12" of course carries iBook DNA and is a separate proposition.

hvfsl
Jun 27, 2003, 05:26 AM
I wonder if the 17in will be the same as the 15in, but with a better screen. I hope Apple does not make the 15in slower (like with the 12in) so the 17in looks a better buy.

hvfsl
Jun 27, 2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by cb911
i'm with you Wyrm. if 3.? is the number for the 15", then that means it's left out.

and where did this come from anyway? buried deep inside Panther somewhere? the code for the 15" could have just been left out, or in a different section. but what was this in Panther for anyway? i've got alot of questions for the person that found this...

I expect the files are drivers for the new PowerBooks. We all know new PowerBooks have to be released sometime before christmas, it would be silly for Panther not to include the drivers for these new systems.

What I want to know is whether there are any driver/system files that give an idea of the kind of hardware in these new PowerBooks.

DHagan4755
Jun 27, 2003, 06:44 AM
Those updates must be near. If they are in a developer preview release of Panther, then they must be intending Panther to be tested by developers on these machines.

Sol
Jun 27, 2003, 07:26 AM
From looking at the code names I would say that the 15" and the 17" Powerbooks will be identical in features except for the number of ports and the size of their screens. Today the 12" PowerBook is the cut-down PowerBook in terms of speed and features and this will propably continue with the next revisions.

testnull
Jun 27, 2003, 07:51 AM
What are the model IDs for the current iBook line?

Could one of these be an iBook?

ipman
Jun 27, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
One user notes the following PowerBook model names

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

WTF were you doing looking at this random place???

michaelrjohnson
Jun 27, 2003, 11:00 AM
Dude! Now THAT'S Minutiae. A+ for finding this though. Well, of course Apple knows what's going on, blah, blah, blah, but this may give some well needed confidince boost to those troubled fellow mac-users who may commit suicide if no 15 inch laptop is released. I'm waiting too, but I'm worried about some of them... :(

I'm hoping for a G5 PowerBook at MWSF 2004 or spring 2004. That's right in line with my purchase schedule and that's what i want baby!

moosecat
Jun 27, 2003, 11:16 AM
All I can say is, whatever the model number, I hope the new PowerBook goes to eleven.

[/Spinal Tap]

jMc
Jun 27, 2003, 12:21 PM
El Reg has a nice little summary of this romour... MacRumors seems to get namechecked over there frequently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31454.html

bperkins
Jun 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by moosecat
All I can say is, whatever the model number, I hope the new PowerBook goes to eleven.

[/Spinal Tap]

:D Man, I love that movie.

fabsgwu
Jun 27, 2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by moosecat

[/Spinal Tap]

:D gotta love culture

smartperson
Jun 27, 2003, 01:29 PM
Well, the link mentioned in a previous post indicates some interesting patterns:

iBook Architecture is assigned an even number (iBooks get 2, 4, and the 12-in Powerbook, the iBook in disguise, gets 6).

From the iBooks, we can also see that the size of the display does not matter, because there is no differentiation for the 14-in iBook.

Real Power Books get odd numbers (1, 3, and now 5 with the 17-incher).

With that knowledge, we can see that the 15-inch Power Book with older architecture had been assigned an initial number of 3.

Since the iBooks tell us that the size of the display does not matter for the number, the 15-inch Power Book can have the same Architecture as the 17-inch Power Book and they can actually have the exact same number... This brings along a very interesting possibility...
In this case, there can be two configuration options for the 17 and 15-inch Power Books that are different enough to have different Model IDs. It's also possible that the 15 and 17 will have one configuration each, and different graphics cards (ATI RADEON Mobility 9600, please!).

And this makes me wonder something else...what about the 6,x model IDs? If screen size doesn't matter for Model ID I have no idea why there would be two unless you have two very different mini Books. Well, there are some possibilities here, but I'll leave it to someone else, my post is too long and too speculative as it is.

BTW: What's going on with Apple these days? They're just letting information loose willy-nilly!

I'm probably way off, but I like my explanation a lot.

I need a new 15-inch Power Book!

Later rumor dudes

mnkeybsness
Jun 27, 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by canadianmacguy

how does this fall under the NDA? the NDA is for apple employees...the main post says "a user" meaning someone playing with panther and snooping around that isn't under the NDA

Chomolungma
Jun 27, 2003, 01:46 PM

i really doubt that they'll drop the 15" PB. the 15" is the most perfect size notebook ever created!! this is a page 2 rumor for a reason.

I'm willing to agrue that the opposite is true. The 15" is too big to be portable, however, I think the 12" ought to be 13" to be functionally portable. The 15" is too small to be a desktop replacement.

I'll bet that they will drop the 15" model.:cool:

railthinner
Jun 27, 2003, 02:19 PM
Dropping the 15" is a ************ idea and I hope that's not even being considered, ever. I've got a 15" (Powerbook that is) and carry it everywhere. How is it not portable? Are you a hobbit?

railthinner
Jun 27, 2003, 02:21 PM
Sorry if that last post sounds rude. It's not meant to. I just love my Powerbook and would love a G5 in the exact same form factor some day.

jbomber
Jun 27, 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Chomolungma
I'm willing to agrue that the opposite is true. The 15" is too big to be portable, however, I think the 12" ought to be 13" to be functionally portable. The 15" is too small to be a desktop replacement.

I'll bet that they will drop the 15" model.:cool:

Sorry dude, that's crazy talk. I'm willing to go along with the logic of some of the other posters, suggesting that the 15 will be very similar to the 17, and therefore the model number got folded into it.

the 15 is too money for them to scrap it.

"Baby, you're so money and you don't even know it!"

cb911
Jun 27, 2003, 05:15 PM
at first i didn't think too much of this, since it's a page 2 rumor... then it appeared in an article on TheRegister. this is making me think that there is some accuracy in the model numbers...

now i'm also hoping that either the numbers are just for the Aluminium's (and the new 15" PB is so secret that even Apple people don't know about it yet ;) :p ), or that the new 15 & 17 will have very similar features.

and if they're drivers or something for new hardware, shouldn't there be the codes for the G5 PM, and other Mac's? or maybe someone hasn't bother posting that stuff?

two_tail
Jun 27, 2003, 07:55 PM
This is certainly interesting timing! I had an order in at the Apple Store for Education for a 1GHz 15" PowerBook that was supposed to ship today. I just got an e-mail saying that "due to an unexpected supply delay" they had to delay shipping until 7 July.

DHagan4755
Jun 27, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by two_tail
This is certainly interesting timing! I had an order in at the Apple Store for Education for a 1GHz 15" PowerBook that was supposed to ship today. I just got an e-mail saying that "due to an unexpected supply delay" they had to delay shipping until 7 July. If you want to go down this route...you could argue that July 8th is a Tuesday...and Apple has released new products on Tuesdays :rolleyes:

Edit: The Apple Store has now moved the availability of the Ghz Ti PowerBook from Shipping Same Day -- where it has been for two months now -- to Shipping 1-2 days. Interesting.

cb911
Jun 27, 2003, 09:20 PM
yeah, the Apple Store now only has the 12" PB as same day shipping.

there have been rumors for about a month that resellers were low on PowerBook stock. hopefully this can confirm that rumor.

new PowerBooks around 17 July? that's not too far away now... :D

tazo
Jun 27, 2003, 10:50 PM
I think they need to do away with the 17'' and improve the 12 &15. give the 15'' an alu-job and be done with it. I think 15'' of screen real estate away from the desk is more then enough. need more? hook it up to an external monitor.

tizza
Jun 28, 2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by tazo
I think they need to do away with the 17'' and improve the 12 &15. give the 15'' an alu-job and be done with it. I think 15'' of screen real estate away from the desk is more then enough. need more? hook it up to an external monitor.

It would have been interesting if the 15'' had been upgraded to alu at the same time as the 17'' was introduced, to see if the 17'' models would have sold as well as they are currently. Do people really want a 17'' PB or are they just buying that because the 15'' PB is behind the ball :confused:

I would certainly be surprised if the 15'' PB was dropped - but you never know ...

gopher
Jun 28, 2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
how does this fall under the NDA? the NDA is for apple employees...the main post says "a user" meaning someone playing with panther and snooping around that isn't under the NDA

Panther Preview is likely to have an NDA. You just don't see Apple selling Panther Preview on their store just yet. If they did, any budding developer who can't afford becoming an official developer (I don't believe the CD is available to the free developer plans) could delve far into the source code to find this. Apple has not made this public on their website, thus it is NDA material.

DHagan4755
Jun 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
I posted this over at the Apple Insider forums, and I thought I post it here too...reactions?

The 12-inch PowerBook is now listed as "3-5 Days" at the Apple online store. If it is truly the "year of the notebook" as Steve Jobs has said, then we should see new PowerBooks shortly. Consider that NECC is this week (June 29th-July 2nd). NECC is the Nat'l Educational Computing Conference, and it's listed as an "Apple Event" on Apple's Hot News page.

Also, I feel compelled to write that perhaps the 15-inch PowerBook may indeed be history. Could it be that the 15.4-inch screen is not for a PowerBook but for an iBook (pscates are you reading?)??? Also consider these minor details:

1) Recent Panther build shows model IDs for newer 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks, but not for 15-inch PowerBooks.

2) Slip up on Tony Hawk page on Apple Store says requirement is iBook G4; Greg Joswiak said this week G4 is in every line.

Given that, could we see complementary systems in both the pro and consumer space; i.e. 12-inch and 15-inch iBooks = consumer, 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks = professional? Probably unlikely, but something to ponder...

wirewyrm
Jun 28, 2003, 01:37 PM
You may listen to this information or you may ignore it, it's up to you. The Powerbook G4 15" will not be phased out. Since their release in January/February 2003, the 12" and 17" powerbooks have been very high. During this time, the number of orders placed by consumers over the Apple Store, as well as the numbers ordered by resellers for the 17" model has declined. The 12" powerbook however has proved to be popular with consumers and is still selling very well. The 12" with Superdrive, originally a build-to-order option has now been moved into retail channels some months ago. The 15" however is still Apple's flagship laptop, enjoying high sales despite an older case design. The 17" Laptop, while still an amazing laptop, only serves a small demographic percentage of people. Many consumers may not need a subnotebook (12") or desktop replacement (17") so the 15" is just the right combination of power, looks and price for many people. It may even be faster than the 17" on release, taking advantage in the latest in processor technology

MacQuest
Jun 28, 2003, 02:28 PM
I've been trying to figure out why the 17" PowerBook was the only PB not to get price dropped.

I had hoped that it was possibly because they might put a 970 in it because of the space available for cooling, but I've been thinking that with so many professionals buying these as FULL desktop replacements, that this demographic would obviosuly require dual processing capabilities for their apps.

My hopes for a 970 PowerBook coming anytime before early 2004 have pretty much diminished with the recent statement from that Apple hardware guy saying that this would not happen anytime soon.

Having just read that previous link from The Register which also speculates on a dual processor 17" PowerBook, I propose the following:

12" Combo = $1,599
12" Super = $1,799

15" Combo [aluma] = $1,999
15" Super [aluma] = $2,299

17" Single Processor Super = $2,799
17" Dual Processor Super = $3,299

The current price gap [$600] between the 15" Combo and Super is unjustified because the usual price difference between these 2 models on most product lines is about $200.

Since I don't think that Apple will raise the price of the 15" Combo, I definately think they'll drop the price on the 15" Super to within $200 - $300.

That would then create an almost $1,000 price gap between the high end 15" and the ONLY 17".

That is why I think the product lineup and pricing will [hopefully] be close to what I listed above.

Here's to dreaming for a 17" dual processor for $3,299 and a single processor option for somewhere between the high end 15" and the speculated dual 17".

:D

cb911
Jun 28, 2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I posted this over at the Apple Insider forums, and I thought I post it here too...reactions?

The 12-inch PowerBook is now listed as "3-5 Days" at the Apple online store. If it is truly the "year of the notebook" as Steve Jobs has said, then we should see new PowerBooks shortly. Consider that NECC is this week (June 29th-July 2nd). NECC is the Nat'l Educational Computing Conference, and it's listed as an "Apple Event" on Apple's Hot News page.

Also, I feel compelled to write that perhaps the 15-inch PowerBook may indeed be history. Could it be that the 15.4-inch screen is not for a PowerBook but for an iBook (pscates are you reading?)??? Also consider these minor details:

1) Recent Panther build shows model IDs for newer 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks, but not for 15-inch PowerBooks.

2) Slip up on Tony Hawk page on Apple Store says requirement is iBook G4; Greg Joswiak said this week G4 is in every line.

Given that, could we see complementary systems in both the pro and consumer space; i.e. 12-inch and 15-inch iBooks = consumer, 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks = professional? Probably unlikely, but something to ponder...

i can remember when the Apple Store said the requirements for Tony Hawk was a iBook G4, i just thought of it as a slip up at the time. but thinking about that now, after Joswiak said that G4's are in every line... who knows? :confused:

i never noticed about the NECC being mentioned on Apple's site. but to me that sounds more like a time to release iBooks, being an educational event. PowerBooks are more likely to be released at MacWorld CreativePro. but if new iBooks were released before the PB's... then i'd be really mad. although new PB's might follow in a couple of weeks. ;) :D

edit>> i just checked out future events on Apple's site and NECC is listed as a Trade Show, and so is the MacWorld CreativePro. July is looking very promising.

after that September 16-20 is Apple Expo Paris. probably where they'll announce that the G5 PowerMacs are shipping.

Roller
Jun 28, 2003, 06:09 PM

Apple would be crazy to drop the 15" model in their pro (=PowerBook) line. It's the mainstream size that most business/pro users want.

DrGonzo
Jun 28, 2003, 06:43 PM
Yah they're not gunna drop it at this point, it'd be silly and make no sense. As long as my PB goes to 11 and doesn't spontaneously combust into a little globule i'll be happy!

Custom Pbook12
Jun 28, 2003, 10:48 PM
I think they will keep the 15" inch Powerbooks Around, if u ask me 17" inches is not very portable (im not knocking it though, if i only had the money). So between the 12 and the 17 the 15 in. rounds out the group in my mind. Its more Manageable than the 17 in. and a bit more powerful than the 12 inch.

However i just got my 12 inch Powerbook, so now it turns into a race to see how fast apple can outdate it!

herocero
Jun 29, 2003, 01:39 AM

this is similar to a post i put on the moto/g4 article on page one. if u do some hunting on the moto semiconductor site and find the mpc 7457 (the new power-saving g4 at 1.3GHz), it can be clocked down to 1GHz at 1.1V. at first i thought, wow, perfect to speedbump the 12" PB. but maybe they also have a life in the ibooks . . . but then how does apple differentiate the lineups? might essentially look like a 12, 14, 15, 17, all with similar features . . . hmmmmm, interesting.

just update that damn 15" would ya?

cubist
Jun 29, 2003, 09:53 AM
The iBooks are not widescreen (and neither is the 12" PB), but the 15" and 17" are.

That being said, if a 15.4" G4 iBook comes out and is reasonably priced, I can see a lot of people buying them...

ouketii
Jun 29, 2003, 11:59 AM
if the ibook and powerbook lines matched with the same screen sizes, i think htere would be a little confusion. owever, i can see ibooks with normal screens and powerbooks with all widescreens...

jbomber
Jun 29, 2003, 04:24 PM
as long as they put it out soon, i'll be a happy camper. this past week, sans-powerbook, has been one of the longest i can remember....

(rocking back and forth with knees tucked under my chin): Just 2 more weeks, Just 2 more weeks, Just 2 more weeks....

LimeLite
Jun 29, 2003, 05:11 PM
Has no one thought about the possibility that these aren't all being released at the same time? Isn't it very possible that they just added the numbers in there for the next revision *and* the revision after that?I mean, we can all hope that there are 4 unique versions, but it's also very possible that there are 2 unique this time around, and there will be 2 more in the future.

crees!
Jun 29, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by cubist
That being said, if a 15.4" G4 iBook comes out and is reasonably priced, I can see a lot of people buying them...

Hands down - I will buy one the second it comes out. No second thoughts on this one.

I want my FIRST Mac damnit.. NOW!

No, really, .... I do have patience. :D
I'm betting we'll see them during the first couple weeks of July. But that's just me hoping so.

Lavallster
Jun 30, 2003, 12:48 AM
Im really nervous about this whole powerbook updates. im going to college in mid-august, and im going to get a laptop before i go: and want the 15" powerbook, but do not want to buy it and then have it become updated a month later. I was hoping it would have been introduced with the new G5 last week, but that was not the case. Do you think they will sell new powerbooks in the beginning of august or is that an unrealistic hope?

montefuego
Jun 30, 2003, 12:59 AM
Powerbooks are differentiated from Ibooks the same way powermacs are differentiated from the imac: Extended Desktop.

MacQuest
Jun 30, 2003, 02:17 AM
I think we'll see an across the board PowerBook line revision no later than Tuesday, July 15th.

This way, Apple's Greg Joswiak could showcase it during his Macworld Creative Expo keynote which is scheduled for 9:30 - 10:30am on Wednesday July 16th.

It's also possible that he may introduce them himself, but I think that releasing them the day before would get great press. Follow that with even more press coverage the next day and all of this will continue building the huge momentum Apple currently has.

This would definately make sense as the attendees at this Expo are the demographic for Apple's Power line.

If Apple gives them, and all of us the option of G5 PowerMacs alongside updated PowerBooks, their sales are going to have an AWESOME second half in '03.

Here's to hoping that my predictions from my earlier post on page 2 of this thread come true! :D

DHagan4755
Jun 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by two_tail
This is certainly interesting timing! I had an order in at the Apple Store for Education for a 1GHz 15" PowerBook that was supposed to ship today. I just got an e-mail saying that "due to an unexpected supply delay" they had to delay shipping until 7 July. So June 7th or 8th will be the day we see new PowerBooks. I've decided.

DrGonzo
Jun 30, 2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Lavallster
Im really nervous about this whole powerbook updates. im going to college in mid-august, and im going to get a laptop before i go: and want the 15" powerbook, but do not want to buy it and then have it become updated a month later. I was hoping it would have been introduced with the new G5 last week, but that was not the case. Do you think they will sell new powerbooks in the beginning of august or is that an unrealistic hope?

PERSONALLY, If they do not infact have an updated 15" powerbook by mid-august i will be greatly surprised, so i would say wait until then, though if you want a good deal on a laptop go with the 15" ti. Ok back to personally, if they don't release anything that you want to buy, simply WAIT. Buy a cheap pc or something for now if you REALLY REALLY need a computer at school (if you don't already have a desktop). I'm assuming you're a freshman, my freshman year i had no use for a laptop, and the only thing my desktop was good for was video games, movies, and porn, oh i think i wrote a paper or two. Also there are school labs with fairly nice computers. I want a new PB for when i go back to school as well in august, though i'm a junior/senior now and actually have more of a use for it.

RichP
Jun 30, 2003, 10:23 AM
I hope you guys are right about mid-july updates; Im itching for that 17" but I cant justify the cost without it being faster than the 15". (Thinking about selling my 15" and my 20" LCD and just getting the 17" pb; and if she ran at 1.3..aww yeah!)

I really doubt they would drop the 15" Its like a bread-and-butter apple laptop, and is the first machine to establish the recent apple renaissance (well, its been a few years now, but I came from the PC world until recently). The 17 is a desktop replacement, and the 12 is for portability.

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 11:17 AM
So June 7th or 8th will be the day we see new PowerBooks. I've decided.

Hmmm... I want to agree with you, but it might be too close to Macworld for them to not hold out for a few more days and introduce it in grand style.

The sooner the better tho. :)

StuPid QPid
Jun 30, 2003, 11:26 AM
So June 7th or 8th will be the day we see new PowerBooks. I've decided.

June???
Either you or I are living in the wrong time zone! I'll guess I'll know if it's June or July if there are any fireworks on the 4th :cool:

DHagan4755
Jun 30, 2003, 11:46 AM
Sorry! My bad! I meant to say July 7th or 8th!

macriffic
Jun 30, 2003, 12:53 PM
Powerbooks at the Apple Store have all switched to 1-2 days shipping time as of this morning. Let's hope for new Powerbooks tomorrow!

ibookin'
Jun 30, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by montefuego
Powerbooks are differentiated from Ibooks the same way powermacs are differentiated from the imac: Extended Desktop.

There are many differences between the pro and consumer Apple lines, this being one of them. However, to achieve the specific differentiation that you speak of, Apple has intentionally crippled the iBook's firmware so that it cannot do monitor spanning, even though its GPU, the ATI Radeon 7500, is perfectly capable of it. I have fixed this little problem on my own machine, and having dual monitors is a very nice thing.

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by macriffic
Powerbooks at the Apple Store have all switched to 1-2 days shipping time as of this morning. Let's hope for new Powerbooks tomorrow!

Argh! Apple's really playing with my blood pressure!!! I can't take much more of this....

Steve, if you're reading this - i have the money sitting right here. All you have to do to get it, is ANNOUNCE THE NEW 15s. Crisp 100 dollar bills, Steve... Think about it...

Cappy
Jun 30, 2003, 01:55 PM
All of this talk and no one has suggested a tablet style model? ;)

cb911
Jun 30, 2003, 03:17 PM
i just checked the Apple Store (U.S.) it still says PowerBook 12" Combo as same day shipping. still, can't be much longer now. ;)

as for the tablet... yeah, it looks like that's a possibility now. but i think it'll be more of a stand alone tablet, not like the tablet PC's with keyboard. i'm not worrying about that... i just want a regular 15" PowerBook!

macriffic
Jun 30, 2003, 03:29 PM
The 12" powerbook combo just went to 3-5 days shipping time.

crees!
Jun 30, 2003, 03:43 PM
The 12" powerbook combo just went to 3-5 days shipping time.

Can you provide a link where it shows this. I can't find anything info shipping times.

macriffic
Jun 30, 2003, 04:11 PM
crees!

just go to the apple store and select a powerbook, keep clicking continue until you get to the Review your Order page--the page will show you estimated ship days.

Pete_Hoover
Jun 30, 2003, 04:17 PM
The new Pbooks are going to be sweet. For Sheezy.

crees!
Jun 30, 2003, 04:18 PM
crees!

just go to the apple store and select a powerbook, keep clicking continue until you get to the Review your Order page--the page will show you estimated ship days.

Sweet. I got that far before but I guess I took too quick a glance to notice.

So, is this the trend with Apple that when delays in shipping occur that it's a cue there might be updates just around the corner?

DHagan4755
Jun 30, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by crees!
the trend with Apple that when delays in shipping occur that it's a cue there might be updates just around the corner? Yes, more often, than not.

Orome
Jul 1, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MacQuest

The current price gap [$600] between the 15" Combo and Super is unjustified because the usual price difference between these 2 models on most product lines is about $200.

Check the specs on both machines again and you'll see the reason for the steap price difference. The "Super" version of the 15" runs on a 1 Ghz. processor as compared to the 867 Mhz. on the "Combo" version. It also comes standard with twice the RAM, a bigger hard drive, and twice the video memory...and of course it has a Superdrive...

Personally, I'm not sure which is better. Do you want two versions of one machine: one inferior to the other and therefore $600 cheaper, or two versions of the same machine with the only difference being the optical drive. We'll just have to wait and see what Apple deams best...sigh...

smartperson
Jul 1, 2003, 06:10 PM
Hmm...15" PowerBooks are now shipping in 7-10 days...

Very interesting, what can this mean?

cb911
Jul 1, 2003, 09:15 PM
if this doesn't mean that Apple is releasing new PowerBooks at MacWorld CreativePro... then i don't know what they're doing.

they must be really low on stock, everything is looking good for a July 14-18 release.

smartperson
Jul 1, 2003, 10:03 PM
I hope that's true man, I can't wait much longer!

jbomber
Jul 1, 2003, 10:11 PM
it's been so long... the voices in my head need a new powerbook to keep them quiet and happy.:D

what?

no not now, soon...

shhh.. soon my dear...

Ikash
Jul 2, 2003, 02:08 PM
awsome i really want them to release the new 15" al powerbook already its pissing me off. there toying with us.

ha

DHagan4755
Jul 2, 2003, 07:56 PM
It looks as though they will be coming within the next two weeks, given these factors:

1.) Several reports of current orders delayed - until around 7/7 or 7/8
2.) Shipping status for GHz PowerBook SuperDrive model is 7-10 days at Apple online store
3.) 15-inch Titantiums are nearing 8 months without an upgrade; 12- and 17-inch models are just about 6 months old
4.) Digitimes reported new 15.4 inch PowerBook will go into production in 2nd half of 2003; we're now in 2nd half of 2003
5.) 15-inch lack faster mobo, Airport Extreme and Built in bluetooth other models possess
6.) Motorola 7457 may be available earlier than expected and may be used in the new PB mode

Sol
Jul 2, 2003, 09:00 PM
Motorola is given a chance to shine with Apple's PowerBooks and I think they can do it, given that they specialize on mobile CPUs. I would not be surprised to see dual G4 PowerBooks in the near future but then again I would not be surprised to see the 970s being used at some point either. Perhaps this will happen in the next major PowerBook upgrades but in the meantime we will have a 15" PB with the same IO ports as the 17" and 12" models.

jbomber
Jul 3, 2003, 02:05 AM
hmmm... the new chips that they were talking about won't be available for a bit.

do you think that apple will release new powerbooks in the next 2 weeks with the older processors, or will they just announce them and let the extended waiting game begin?

appleguy
Jul 3, 2003, 05:05 AM
Now this is a real stab in the dark here.
maybe there will be two types of powerbooks.
Low-End to High-End basically like the iBooks (low end laptops) and PowerBooks (high end).
Maybe the iBooks might go, and we get G4 powerbooks and G5 powerbooks later on down the track maybe.

Who knows. after all it is not the final version of Panther it might be in there for testing and the code might be removed later.

Just one thing.
God arn't Macs Amazing.... :D
Is there anything that comes close to a mac?

--
Aaron
An Apple User since 1986...

appleguy
Jul 3, 2003, 05:08 AM
I don't think this will happen any time soon.

ColoJohnBoy
Jul 3, 2003, 05:41 PM
I am so confused. What the hell do the IDs mean anyhow?

MacQuest
Jul 5, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
I am so confused. What the hell do the IDs mean anyhow?

I think we should just kill this thread with this last comment... :rolleyes:

READ THE POSTS!!

smartperson
Jul 5, 2003, 10:29 PM
I find it fascinating, and would rather not shut down this thread ;)

So what are we looking at, why would Apple release at the "new" MWNY? If Apple is not exhibiting at the same level, I like theories that say Apple will host an event before MWNY to steal it's thunder, Apple always likes doing that, eh?

As I've said in my previous post, only time (or perhaps new rumors) will tell, and I'm tired of waiting this long! My wallstreet is breaking down now, and it wants to be replaced with Al!

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by smartperson
I find it fascinating, and would rather not shut down this thread ;)

So what are we looking at, why would Apple release at the "new" MWNY? If Apple is not exhibiting at the same level, I like theories that say Apple will host an event before MWNY to steal it's thunder, Apple always likes doing that, eh?

As I've said in my previous post, only time (or perhaps new rumors) will tell, and I'm tired of waiting this long! My wallstreet is breaking down now, and it wants to be replaced with Al!

Hmm.. well it's the last MacWorld in New York, so it might still be on their agenda as a viable launching pad for a new laptop. Steve wants to preserve the status of MWNY as a major media-worthy event. I'd be a little surprised if they just let this one go out with a whimper. I can see them totally doing a stealing-their-thunder routine for MacWorld Boston (or whatever they're calling it) next year.;)

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

Developers getting developer previews have NDA's too there chief :)

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 09:03 PM
yeah, the Apple Store now only has the 12" PB as same day shipping.

there have been rumors for about a month that resellers were low on PowerBook stock. hopefully this can confirm that rumor.

new PowerBooks around 17 July? that's not too far away now... :D

July 16 is the MWNY keynote :)

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Lavallster

I'm going to college in August too. I'm just going to hang onto my iMac until the new 15 inchers come out, then I'm gonna buy one.

And I'm sure Apple's fully aware that an entire incoming class of college freshmen want PowerBooks soon :)

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by RichP
I really doubt they would drop the 15" Its like a bread-and-butter apple laptop, and is the first machine to establish the recent apple renaissance

Uh, no, the renaissance was in 1998 with the original iMac. And with the PowerBook G3, which was the PowerBook renaissance. PowerBooks were considered the best laptop on the market until the 5300 fiascso, and it wasn't until the G3 that Apple really retook the lead. The TiBook was a revolution beyond that though, inspired by the desire to out-Vaio Sony.

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 09:13 PM
6.) Motorola 7457 may be available earlier than expected and may be used in the new PB mode

Dude, that's MOTOROLA. The only processor company that's still wanted for violating Moore's Law.

Rower_CPU
Jul 12, 2003, 09:59 PM
Why bring up a week old thread to post 5 separate posts? Seems like spam to me...

Phil Of Mac
Jul 12, 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Why bring up a week old thread to post 5 separate posts? Seems like spam to me...

I was responding to five separate posts. Whenever I reply to multiple posts in one post, someone complains. Multiple posts also make the pages break more reasonably, since 1 huge post is counted the same as a small post, to keep relatively equal lengths per page, it's reasonable to have equal-sized (which means essentially shorter) posts.

And, the topic interested me. I post when I have time. That means making up for a week when I didn't have time. In any case, is anyone harmed? I think you're making this into an issue when it was never intended to be.

Rower_CPU
Jul 13, 2003, 12:11 AM
Posting several posts to the same thread at once is considered spamming, which is against forum rules. Quoting 5 people and replying to all of them in a huge post is unreadable, for some, but not against forum etiquette.

I chose to make a big deal about it in this instance because you're posting to a thread that's been quiet for some time. You continuing to make a big deal about it won't help to keep this thread open.

Besides, you've posted to this site everyday since July 1st, so saying you haven't had the chance for a week comes off a little, well, weak.