PDA

View Full Version : Any alternative to the iTMS for legal downloads?

kevinliu4
May 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent alternative to the iTunes Music Store for legal downloads for international users?

iTMS does not support Hong Kong where I live and I'm getting tired of buying all these CDs, ripping them, and never using them again. Not to mention, I am running out of space to store them.

I did a search and found rhapsody but that is for US customers only. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stampyhead
May 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
You could try Emusic (http://www.emusic.com). It doesn't have all the most popular music, but I couldn't find anything on their site to indicate it was for the US only.

killmoms
May 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent alternative to the iTunes Music Store for legal downloads for international users?

iTMS does not support Hong Kong where I live and I'm getting tired of buying all these CDs, ripping them, and never using them again. Not to mention, I am running out of space to store them.

I did a search and found rhapsody but that is for US customers only. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The problem is how licensing is handled between countries. For music to be legally distributed within the borders of a nation, it has to be licensed to a company who will enforce the copyright (as defined by the laws of that particular nation) and handle distribution. Because of international copyright differences and the lack of a unifying global way to distribute intellectual property, even online music vendors are subject to national borders.

It's an unfortunate situation, but one that seems likely to be the status quo for the foreseeable future. :(