Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
fun title, no? :D

I have a dual 1.8Ghz G5 that's served well for the last few years. It's not overclocked, sports 3GB of RAM, has a decent aftermarket ATI 9800Pro MacSE video card hooked to two Dell 2005fpw screens, wifi, bt, and lots of hard drive space both internal and external. This is, in a nutshell, my primary work machine. It runs constantly, rarely if ever being shut down or restarted for any reason.

In my old house, that made no difference, as I was in a large air conditioned room in a moderately small to mid-sized house. Heat wasn't really an issue. I've since built a new house, with a specified office space in it for my business (graphic design).

Now you know the basics, here's the issue. This new office is a lot better insulated than my old house, and it tends to trap in the heat being pumped out the back of my G5. I didn't notice so much in the winter, but now the outside temp is picking up, I'm really getting aware of it. The office now stays about 5-10ºF higher than the rest of the house. I've had my A/C company come out and adjust the ductwork to try and port more cold air into that room, and I've got blinds on the windows that stay closed a good bit of the time to try and keep out natural warmth.

So... those of you with a Mac Pro and a G5 - can anyone vouch firsthand for the Mac Pro running cooler overall than the G5? If so, is it noticeably (say 10º or more) cooler, or only a few degrees? Anyone else with a similar problem and a suggested way to fix it without replacing the machine? I'm looking down the barrel of replacement soon anyway, but wondered if I can find an easy fix for the short term to get me through the summer without cooking myself and increasing the electric bill just to cool one room.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Is the problem the fact that the room gets too hot for comfort or is it the worry that the chips are running hotter? If its the first then you *could* maybe use a stop gap measure where you get some cheap ducting, put one end to your exhaust fans and the other out the window. ;)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
It's all a comfort issue for me - the machine is still well within it's temp limits, I'm just aware of the overall temperature in the room getting warmer for me. I'd thought about the ducting idea, but the office is on the front of the house, and I'd worry it would look pretty odd from the outside. I haven't ruled it out, though.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Mudbug, do you run any distributed computing programs? Folding@Home, Seti or ClimatePredict, that kind of thing? If you do then there's a good chance that turning such software off will make a difference.

Since I started running the ClimatePrediction.net simulations I've definitely noticed my room being hotter and the exhaust fans churn out the heat of a radiator - irritating because my Cat likes it down there which is worrying because the multiswitch for nearly everything in my room is there and the on/off button isn't particularly stiff.

Thinking about it, although I'm 'helping the environment' by running climate prediction models, my computer in doing so is actually not doing the whole global warming thing any favours!! :-S

I would turn it off but my University's team is now in the top 20 for educational teams even though I'm the only member!! Gotta love these Mac Pros! ;)

Back to the ducting, if you did it neatly then it could look ok. Rather than use regular ducting, you could use pieces of that white, rectangular drain piping stuff that you sometimes see, with corner pieces etc. Spend a couple of hours on it and you could have something looking quite tidy.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just Work Nekkid

You so need a new Mac Pro. It will be so much cooler. Might even lower the room temp a bit.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The room could also have worse air circulation in the computer room than the last one.

If you are close to the a/c unit adding an air return may help.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
for what it's worth, i just replaced a dual 1.8 G5, 4gb, 600gb, 9800pro machine with a MacPro 2.66, 4gb, 600gb, 7300GT machine. the room is 1-3 degrees warmer with the new computer running the same software. maybe because of rosetta, maybe not... :confused: 16 x 21, lots of air, swapping the computers was the only change. best of luck.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
my G5, same set up with a beefer graphics card, heats up my work space too. If you never cleaned it out , dust wise, do it. It's a bit of a hassle but worth it.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
my home office is the same, sits at the front of the house and between the sun and my mac, the room is consistently 10-15 deg. warmer than the rest of the house. it's nice in the winter, but summer's pretty rough.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
funny you should all mention cleaning the dust out. About a month ago the machine started locking up under intense graphic displays, and I couldn't figure out what was going on - the logs didn't show anything petering out. Turns out there was so much dust on the fan for the graphics card that it couldn't spin, and would overheat the card. I cleaned it off (removed it from the machine entirely and used the better part of a can of air on it) and now it works like a champ. That's the only thing I changed for that fix...

I cleaned out the rest of the machine while I was at it, so it's fairly dust-free for the time being. I may have a go at the ducting idea this coming weekend and see if I can make something not terrible-looking, yet still functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.