Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I have a song in iTunes in .mp3 format. iTunes on my iMac Core 2 Duo plays it fine, also on my MBP plays it fine, but when I sync it to my iPod, the iPod plays about the first 3 or 4 seconds, and then quits abruptly, and moves on to the next song in the playlist.

I tried to play it straight as a song, same thing, and same from artist or album view. I have unloaded it and reloaded it using itunes, I restored my iPod to original settings, and let it reload the latest software, and then synced again, and it still does the same thing.

Any help with this is appreciated.

thanks,

Brian

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I've had the same problem before, previously I've just had to re-encode the song from the CD or wherever I got it from. I have no idea what causes that problem.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
I have the same problem as well from time to time. abrupt skips on the iPod, and consistently at the same spot in an affected song. if i scroll past this point, the rest of the song usually plays. none of this happens in iTunes.

Another annoyance is that a lot of the artwork is screwed up on my iPod (not matching the proper songs), but there is no problem in iTunes. Perhaps they're related?

I don't really care about the second matter, but the first is very annoying. Much praise goes to the one that can solve our woes.

DCBass

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I have the same problem as well from time to time. abrupt skips on the iPod, and consistently at the same spot in an affected song. if i scroll past this point, the rest of the song usually plays. none of this happens in iTunes.

Another annoyance is that a lot of the artwork is screwed up on my iPod (not matching the proper songs), but there is no problem in iTunes. Perhaps they're related?

I don't really care about the second matter, but the first is very annoying. Much praise goes to the one that can solve our woes.

DCBass

Using a bit of advice from the first reply I right clicked the song (even though it was already mp3) and selected convert to mp3. Deleted the original, and replaced the song in my playlists, and voila....it works fine now.

You might give it a try.

Brian

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
I have had this problem ever since I got my 1G Nano (right when they came out) and never found the ultimate solution. Almost my entire library is 192AAC, so it is not a MP3-specific problem.

My current solution is, whenever I encounter this problem on my iPod, is to change the rating to 0-stars (my entire library is rated). That then shows up on a smart playlist in iTunes the next time the iPod is synced. When I play the song in its entirety in iTunes, then re-sync the iPod, the song then plays fine on the iPod.

Unfortunately, other songs will become randomly "infected". I have about 5,000 songs in my library, and about 700 songs on my iPod, and I would estimate that I encounter this problem 1x/week.

miriamnz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
I have this problem regularly now, though I did not before. I tried updating to iTunes 7 adn the problem got waorse so I went back to iTunes 6 and the problem persisits. I have a 4G iPod. I think it is a writing-to-the-ipod problem.
Like others I have found that the song is all there and OK in iTunes, adn that if you can scroll past the break then everyhting plays fine.
RIght now probably 1/3 of each set of copying is flawed. Deleting them from the iPod and copying again can fix it, but sometimes I have to do it several times, adn then tediously check through each one to see whetehr or not it is all there.
I can no longer copy podcasts to the iPod and expect them to work. True for songs too, but I don't swap them about so much.

I thought it might be a disk problem so I wiped and reformatted the disc with a multi-pass writing of zeros to make sure every part of the disk was attended to. This has made no difference.

I wonder whether there is an old piece of disk-writing software invoked by iTunes that the newer operating system has problems with - I think when I get the whirly cursor in the middle of a copy action that the copied file might be flawed. I wonder whether 4G iPods are being somehow not looked after in the software so we will get frustrated an upgrade. Unfortunately it is working, as it is so annyoing not to be able to trust the Ipod will have on it the stuff I have just put there.

MIriam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.