PDA

View Full Version : streaming media from mac to PS3?

slimp
May 24, 2007, 09:51 PM
as mentioned in the 1.8 thread, here is an exteneded thread on this topic:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=45342

has any macrumors users been able to successfully sync their mac with a PS3? I sort of got it to work, using an older version of eyeconnect (version 1.0) because i'm using 10.3.9. I was able to watch a couple mpg movies and view pics from my mac, but I couldnt get any music to show up, nor could I get it to sync with my itunes library. I kept getting all sorts of error messages and the PS3 kept disconnecting me from the PS3 network (is that neccesary?). In the link I posted, someone gave instructions on setting up the connection involving turning on personal file sharing. Is this risky, or am I just being paranoid? Either way, the whole thing seems extremely buggy right now.

jaw04005
May 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
Apparently, the best experience can be had by using Windows Media Player 11 on Windows. However, I've had semi-luck with EyeConnect on my Mac.

I have the same issues you do, and have tried several routers and wired/wireless setups. I think we should just wait until a savy Mac developer releases ConnectPS3 or something similar. Maybe this is something Nullsoft will consider developing. There are not many "good" DLNA/UPNP servers for Mac.

By the way, many have mentioned that the AirPort routers do not support UPNP. However, Apple developed a proprietary alternative technology that is compatible with UPNP, and it's turned on by default.

Also, TwonkyVision has been updated to support the PS3. However, I have yet to figure out how to configure the software. It's not as intuitive as EyeConnect.

risc
May 25, 2007, 03:22 AM
I had no luck with EyeConnect I just kept getting server disconnection errors. TwonkyVision is working though but it just doesn't have a nice vibe to it. I can't wait for ConnectPS3 ... oh please Lord let there be a ConnectPS3!

DarkNetworks
May 25, 2007, 03:35 AM
EyeConnect is much better than TwonkyMedia. I played around with Twonky yesterday and it wasn't working for me in the end even with Music. With EyeConnect, I've got it to see my iTunes Music Files on my PS3 and Pictures but as far as Movies, no luck yet. What format will the PS3 play for Movies? Does it play (mp4) H.264 files? I've had a couple of those on my Mac, it sees them but it shows up as Unsupported Format.

Malcster
May 25, 2007, 05:31 AM
I emailed nullriver support about a possible 'connectPS3' it and got the reply "were looking into it" so they know we want it altleast :)

I tried using EyeConnect but kept getting disconnection / media access denied errors, ive raised it with elgato but then i realised im using the new Airport Extreme which apparently doesnt support PnP so this maybe is the issue?

Im dissappointed at the moment due to PS1/PS2 scaling giving me a blank screen on my 1080p LCD tv so it looks like my tv might not be supported.. going to call sony later.

risc
May 25, 2007, 07:27 AM
EyeConnect is much better than TwonkyMedia. I played around with Twonky yesterday and it wasn't working for me in the end even with Music.

I have photos, music, and videos working fine in TwonkyMedia. 4.3 is still a bit dodgy but they have a new version 4.4 in beta at the moment which is meant to support the PS3 properly. I haven't tried that version yet though so I can't comment.

As for EyeConnect... I can't even get it to connect... I keep getting server permission and disconnect errors... weird!

jan08
May 25, 2007, 07:47 AM
Good lord, this is annoying! Ive tried Eye Connect and its fine - ish for Music but seems slow as hell and buffering all the time, very average for pictures and can't find MP4 movie files.

I have then downloaded Twonky which seems slightly better for Music, but I have tried everything, even offered the Mac 20 cash and a Mars Bar, but still I cannot get Twonky to find video or picture files.

I wish we'd never had this update as I'll never get tthese few hours of my life back

Taustin Powers
May 25, 2007, 08:11 AM
I've got it working with Eye-Connect 1.1. It's a little slow, but that doesn't bother me too much right now.

What does bother me, that on the PS3, I can only select the existing iTunes playlists, or "Library" or "Music". I only have like five playlists, so to browse my music, I have to select "Library" or "Music". This is where it gets annoying: It simply lists ALL 1400 SONGS in one column. No sorting by artist, album, no search, no anything. Just an endless string of songs I can scroll through. It displays all the Artist and Album tags correctly, why can't it sort and filter by them?

Anyone know a workaround for this? It really makes the whole thing almost useless to me.

gloss
May 25, 2007, 08:29 AM
No m4a support and no avi/DivX/etc support makes me sad. Only a small portion of my music library plays back, and none of my videos.

The best part is, I transcoded one of my movies to mpeg4 to see if it would play, and WMP11 refuses to add it to the Videos library because they want WMP or AVI only. So, I finally get a format that the PS3 likes and WMP11 won't allow it.

Nice.

I'll wait for ConnectPS3 and hope it has realtime transcoding.

DarkNetworks
May 25, 2007, 06:02 PM
If only we'd Connect360 for the PS3. With the recent spring update combined with Connect360 v3.1, the Xbox 360 is just up at the next level. I'll give this one to the 360 for now.

mk2000
May 27, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hey Guys,

Running a virtual instance of XP on a dedicated Ethernet Inteface under Parallels on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Dual Core Dual Processor Intel Xeon system.

Using rev 802 of ffdshow and TVersity's latest DLNA server release with their latest Sony V2 patch (no other codecs or packages installed)

Works beautifully :-)
(happy Mac person!)

All my handbrake iPod AVC files stream and display natively on the PS3 and my XVID/DivX stream and transcode (realtime!) very nicely.

My next goal is MKV but still extremely happy even if I don't get that working.

TVersity is the only DLNA server I know that has support for streaming AVC to the PS3 (twonkyvision and others do not)

mk2000 :D

onesixright
May 28, 2007, 06:51 AM
Hi Guyz,

I updated my PS3 to v1.8, there is support for media servers (DLNA). I d/l a trial from EyeConnect (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect) that makes your mac (for me i have a oldie iMac / 700) stream: pictures / music and video! Works good (not great yet, but that seems to be more related to the 1.8 version of the PS3. By time it will get even better!).

Have fun,

Regards,

16R

Oofie
May 28, 2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Guyz,

I updated my PS3 to v1.8, there is support for media servers (DLNA). I d/l a trial from EyeConnect (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect) that makes your mac (for me i have a oldie iMac / 700) stream: pictures / music and video! Works good (not great yet, but that seems to be more related to the 1.8 version of the PS3. By time it will get even better!).

Have fun,

Regards,

16R
Not to bust your bubble, but a few posts above yours have also tried and suggested EyeConnect, but most users have problems with it. Maybe you should try reading the whole thread first.

trigga
May 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
Would my PS3 be able to see a hard drive (and stream from it) thats connected to my new airport base-station. As far as i know the airport base-station is not UPnP but it uses some other protocol that is compatible with UPnP.

onesixright
May 30, 2007, 05:32 AM
Not to bust your bubble, but a few posts above yours have also tried and suggested EyeConnect, but most users have problems with it. Maybe you should try reading the whole thread first.

idd, didn't read the whole thread. :eek:

Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me. It got some issues, but seems to be more related to ps3 then eyeconnect. The PS3 lacks some support for AVI... (and more) hope they will fix that.. i use it together with EyeTV... that seems to work. To bad the refreshing of content seem to be a bit strange on the PS3... anyhints? I do a 'search for media servers' to refresh my contect... but truly handy its not...:rolleyes:

jaw04005
May 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me. It got some issues, but seems to be more related to ps3 then eyeconnect. The PS3 lacks some support for AVI... (and more) hope they will fix that..

The problems with EyeConnect are with the software package itself, not the PS3. On Windows, Nero MediaHome and Windows Media Player both work fine with the PS3.

It looks like ElGato needs to update their software, especially considering its price.

And remember AVI is a container, much like MOV, which can use multiple video codecs including Windows Media, DivX, xvid, etc.

inorbit
May 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
hey all,

i got eyeconnect working like a charm with my PS3 and quad-G5.
one solution to the way the PS3 displays a single long list of songs-

in EyeConnect's prefs, delete the share of your itunes music library, and tell it to share your music *folder* instead.

this way, the PS3 sees data (works the same) and therefore will keep the folder structure...

cheers.

Dopeyman
Jun 11, 2007, 08:36 PM
Has anyone been able to get rid of the access denied errors when using and Airport Extreme (n-router) and using EyeConnect 1.1???

I've opened the port that the eyeconnect says to open via the router and the firewall on my iMac (CD2, 20", 2gigs ram, latest Tiger) is turned off... I also turned on windows sharing and file sharing... still get the errors...

I'm able to see the thumbnails of my movies, photos, and mp3's, but it won't load any photos or mp3's... It'll play SOME movies, but not all..

Also, I can't seem to make a "NEW" exception in the OS's firewall... I click on the NEW, but it just sits there and does nothing.. I've tried with both the firewall on and off... Any ideas?

Malcster
Jun 27, 2007, 04:53 AM
Not me, i still get them, i emailed Elgato about this same issue and they admit EyeConnect 1.1 is not 100% PS3 compatible, they did tell me they'd fix it but admitted they had no time frame for implementing the fix :(

Better news however is Firmware 1.82 is due in a few days for the PS3 and will include support for AVC High Profile H.264/MPEG-4 files.

warchieft2k
Jun 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
how about quicktime streaming server or broadcaster?

would that work?

Monyx
Jul 4, 2007, 12:17 AM
idd, didn't read the whole thread. :eek:

Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me....
i use it together with EyeTV... that seems to work.

Can you play back your EyeTV recordings ok? I can see all the listings but get a "corrupt data" when I try to play with PS3 1.82.

If I copy the MPEG2 file out from the EyeTV created package to my Movies folder, the PS3 plays it fine from there browsing to Movies folder, so no prob with MPEG2, rather the way EyeConnect is representing the OSX Package (folder contents) to PS3.

pilotError
Sep 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
Has there been any update on this?

I'm interested in streaming to the PS3 and directly to my Onkyo (also a DLNA device).

I see Twonky has 4.4 out, has anyone used it?

Thanks for any updates...

Mike...

DarkNetworks
Sep 11, 2007, 07:12 AM
Has there been any update on this?

I'm interested in streaming to the PS3 and directly to my Onkyo (also a DLNA device).

I see Twonky has 4.4 out, has anyone used it?

Thanks for any updates...

Mike...

http://www.applesource.com.au/how-to/how-to-stream-media-to-a-ps3-from-a-mac/210/
Works for me on my PS3 and Mac but I don't know about Onkyo. FREE.

nusynergy
Feb 7, 2009, 06:49 AM
Check this out... http://cynicalpeak.com/rivet/index.php

Its not free.. ( well im sure you can find it free somewhere :rolleyes:) but it works and works very well!

Xorro
Feb 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
I assume you have installed the rivet software then?

What is the playback like for music, any probs with stuttering/buffering?

Are there any issues with streaming lossless music with the mac / PS3?

jhsfosho
Feb 14, 2009, 11:22 AM
I just downloaded and installed Rivet, and my 360 seemed to recognize it instantly. It found all my music and movies on my laptop, in itunes and in the folders i specified. I'm not sure if it updates play counts, but it does show playlists. The fact that it also does PS3 streaming, (which I have yet to try) means that it is replacing connect360 in my menu bar. I have been looking for this program for a long time. Thanks, nusynergy for pointing it out to me.

jhsfosho
Feb 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
I just tried streaming to my PS3. over wireless it stuttered every couple of seconds so I will have to try it again once I get an ethernet cable to my PS3. I was surprised it was stuttering on ipod touch formatted video. I'd assume that it would be fine with audio or pictures.

temetrepo
Feb 16, 2009, 08:03 PM
Try PS3 media server

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

sn00pie
Feb 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
+1 for PS3 Media Server

wesg
Feb 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
An earlier poster had asked about streaming media from a hard drive connected to an Airport Base station. I know the AEBS doesn't have UPnP and instead has a different protocol, but if I could get the PS3 to see my hard drive, that could save me some grief and money.

ajreeves37
Apr 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
This is working fine for me

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Nullriver Medialink

Xorro
Apr 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm using Media Link too and for $20 it seems a bargain.

iamwadey
May 5, 2009, 06:19 AM
I stream on both my 360 and PS3 via Vuze, nice and simple works well.

whooleytoo
May 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've tried MediaLink and it's just ok for me:

Music - works fine, but controls are very unresponsive. The music will play without interruption, but it takes 10-20 seconds to go to the next track. Quite annoying.

Video - works fine with very low res videos, but starts skipping badly with any remotely mid resolution videos. (struggles with SD, never mind HD).

Photos - iPhoto sharing doesn't work; but can view still images.

dash08
May 18, 2009, 05:37 PM
media link does not work... it stops and starts on all kinds on video format

whooleytoo
May 19, 2009, 06:37 AM
media link does not work... it stops and starts on all kinds on video format

For me, the PS3 is the problem. I've tried streaming media with MediaLink and with Rivet, and on the PS3 all movies stop and start, even low-res ones. Also when playing music, it takes 10-20 seconds to start playing the next song.

On my 360, same network, streaming the same files from Rivet (not sure if MediaLink works with the 360, haven't tried) - no problem. The same videos play without a hitch, and songs start playing within a second or two.

DoFoT9
Dec 29, 2009, 07:34 AM
sorry for bringing back this thread! but i think this aspect of ps3s + macs is VERY important!

Try PS3 media server

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

+1 for PS3 Media Server
+2. got a ps3 about 3 days ago. found media server and its working great so far. i have a variety of formats with both video and audio, and this seems to work the best.

was a little dissapointed when i streamed a 1080p rip to the ps3, it looked a bit degraded, then i realised i missed a setting somewhere and now i have it "lossless". i have yet to try streaming again, my brother is playing :rolleyes:

streaming over gigabit ethernet :D btw

This is working fine for me

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Nullriver Medialink

I'm using Media Link too and for $20 it seems a bargain.
not sure if the $20 is worth it tbh, media server is free! the fact that media link cannot stream m4a is a big loss too.

edit: also, under transcoding settings->audio file engines, both mplayer and ffmpeg options have no settings! is this because i havent got these engines installed? or because thats just how it is? i want to find out how to force subtitles off, it played in some weird language on the last movie i watched :( even though i had "definietely disable subtitles" ticked.

gauchogolfer
Dec 30, 2009, 10:37 PM
Does Media Server work on PPC Macs too?

DoFoT9
Dec 31, 2009, 11:26 PM
Does Media Server work on PPC Macs too?

indeed it does, provided that you have java support installed ;) its written in java so it runs on macs/pcs/linux etc.

asmallchild
Mar 6, 2010, 06:15 PM
Couldn't get MediaServer to work for me

I'm sticking with MediaLink even though it costs money.

A bit of sillyness (I'm a complete newbie to networking)

1) Do you have to be on the same network to connect the Mac and the PS3?

2) If I handed out my authentication code to a friend (that's what costs $20), is there anyway he could look at the information over my Mac?

3) Any security risks to using this kind of software?

I realize these are silly questions, appreciate the help

DoFoT9
Mar 6, 2010, 06:40 PM
Couldn't get MediaServer to work for me

I'm sticking with MediaLink even though it costs money.
thats a shame. its probably one or two settings. take a look here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=846352&highlight=) if you decide to stick with ps3ms. ill help you :D

A bit of sillyness (I'm a complete newbie to networking)
gotta start somewhere :D

1) Do you have to be on the same network to connect the Mac and the PS3?
yes

2) If I handed out my authentication code to a friend (that's what costs $20), is there anyway he could look at the information over my Mac?
no

3) Any security risks to using this kind of software?
no.

I realize these are silly questions, appreciate the help
hope that cleared it up for you ;)

asmallchild
Mar 6, 2010, 07:12 PM
thanks! :D

macfan881
Mar 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have VM Fusion and bootcamp so I got PlayOn. it Streams Hulu ESPN CNN Youtube Game trailers.com also adding MLB.TV and it streams your media to wich is in beta atm its 40 bucks but its the best streaming service i think.

akswun
Mar 31, 2010, 07:52 AM
just wondering if the whole stuttering thing with the video streaming is because of the format/quality of the video...

I did read above that the higher resolution videos tend to be like this.. I was kinda hoping it was just buffering... but the strange thing is I was able to play a medium resolution movie no problem but then had problems with the stuttering with a poor resolution pron video :)....

Are there settings that I can tweek? and is WMP on W7 a lot better? I have W7 bootcamped on my MBP but didn't get a chance to try it last night....

Jon the Heretic
Mar 31, 2010, 05:03 PM
I've been using PlayOn on my 3Ghz iMac (Early 2009, 24") with my PS3. Not surprisingly, through Bootcamp on Windows 7, it works fabulously :o

However, I had been running it under Windows XP SP3 on Virtualbox and thought all was well because I mostly use it to show cartoons to my kids. I was pretty happy with this arrangement.

But last week, I decided to watch an episode of Lost I had missed, and oh boy, it stuttered like crazy. Rebooting in Bootcamp, no stuttering. Clearly, VirtualBox does not have as much Oomph as I thought, even though PlayOn reports CPU Performance as "High" (Under Win7/Bootcamp, it is Max, by contrast).

I will try Fixing the video quality to High or even Medium and see if this helps.

DoFoT9
Mar 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
I've been using PlayOn on my 3Ghz iMac (Early 2009, 24") with my PS3. Not surprisingly, through Bootcamp on Windows 7, it works fabulously :o

However, I had been running it under Windows XP SP3 on Virtualbox and thought all was well because I mostly use it to show cartoons to my kids. I was pretty happy with this arrangement.

But last week, I decided to watch an episode of Lost I had missed, and oh boy, it stuttered like crazy. Rebooting in Bootcamp, no stuttering. Clearly, VirtualBox does not have as much Oomph as I thought, even though PlayOn reports CPU Performance as "High" (Under Win7/Bootcamp, it is Max, by contrast).

I will try Fixing the video quality to High or even Medium and see if this helps.

transcoding takes quite a bit of CPU power. virtual machines just dont have the power required to do that, there are so many extra cycles added to the CPU its not funny.

use PS3 MediaServer ;)

Jon the Heretic
Apr 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
transcoding takes quite a bit of CPU power. virtual machines just dont have the power required to do that, there are so many extra cycles added to the CPU its not funny.

use PS3 MediaServer ;)

I was hopeful PlayOn on VirtualBox would work because it shows "High" under CPU Performance...the next step up is "Max". Given there is a Medium and a Low below High, I would think it would be enough! Grumble, grumble.

PlayOn gives vastly more options than PS3 Mediaserver, which doesn't even remember what local video sources I picked from the last time I launched it. Kind of annoying reentering it every time. And not loving the Java interface either. Yecch. But more importantly, I can watch Hulu and so much more Web TV programming through PlayOn---doesn't seem to be part of PS3 Mediaserver's mission statement. Not really comparable products.

I also have a TiVo HD, which works really well with pyTiVoX---the interface is better than PS3 Mediaserver, and it remembers the video sources from launch to it (nicely integrated with the Mac menu bar, too). PyTiVoX handles transcoding very well and even supports "Push" (though you have to be careful about pushing formats that the TiVo can actually play; the transcoding streaming is much more flexible). Of course, you do need a Tivo for this, whereas with PS3 Mediaserver, you just need a PS3 (i.e. no subscription). Given I have both, I like pyTiVoX better. It is just too bad there is nothing like PlayOn for the Mac.

DoFoT9
Apr 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
I was hopeful PlayOn on VirtualBox would work because it shows "High" under CPU Performance...the next step up is "Max". Given there is a Medium and a Low below High, I would think it would be enough! Grumble, grumble.

PlayOn gives vastly more options than PS3 Mediaserver, which doesn't even remember what local video sources I picked from the last time I launched it. Kind of annoying reentering it every time. And not loving the Java interface either. Yecch. But more importantly, I can watch Hulu and so much more Web TV programming through PlayOn---doesn't seem to be part of PS3 Mediaserver's mission statement. Not really comparable products.

I also have a TiVo HD, which works really well with pyTiVoX---the interface is better than PS3 Mediaserver, and it remembers the video sources from launch to it (nicely integrated with the Mac menu bar, too). PyTiVoX handles transcoding very well and even supports "Push" (though you have to be careful about pushing formats that the TiVo can actually play; the transcoding streaming is much more flexible). Of course, you do need a Tivo for this, whereas with PS3 Mediaserver, you just need a PS3 (i.e. no subscription). Given I have both, I like pyTiVoX better. It is just too bad there is nothing like PlayOn for the Mac.

never heard of this playOn, and the fact that it isnt mac compatible isnt an option for me. noway am i going to have ANOTHER virtual machine just for one program. can PlayOn transcode uncompressed BD rips for me like PS3MS can?

i have no need for tivo or hulu or all that crap, i only have 25GB of downloads per month.

all im currently annoyed about is that PS3MS (on mac side) cannot transcode cant demux VC-1 & DTS into the correct mpeg & AC3 audio. totally annoying, i need to find another program to do that now, and i dont want to compress them in handbrake. tsmuxer cant do it either.

theGift
Jun 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
just thought I'd add, 'Vuze'

which used to be Azure torrent downloader has a built in devices system which lets you stream to your ps3 through the router,

just found this thread while trying to find something better (although Vuze works pretty well)

Vuze also has a plugin (which i didnt get) for streaming your itunes to ps3

ALSO, this doesnt use UPnP which is nice for those who cant be arsed with its frustrating setup

jetjaguar
Oct 8, 2010, 10:00 AM
can you stream .mkv to the ps3 thru ps3 media server ??
can the ps3 play .mkv files .. because i would like to get rid of my popcorn hour and just have my ps3 and apple tv

-SD-
Oct 8, 2010, 02:44 PM
PS3 won't play .mkv files itself, you'll have to use PS3MediaServer, which is awesome anyway.

:apple:

DoFoT9
Oct 9, 2010, 08:05 AM
PS3 won't play .mkv files itself, you'll have to use PS3MediaServer, which is awesome anyway.

:apple:

YES! very awsome! however mine has been stuttering like crazy lately - i am not sure of the cause :(

jetjaguar
Oct 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
ok i installed ps3 media server and it found my ps3 ..

i added the folder where my movies are in .mkv format and when i browse on my ps3 ., the folder is empty ???

jetjaguar
Oct 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
nevermind got it to work .. but video is skipping

DoFoT9
Oct 9, 2010, 05:47 PM
nevermind got it to work .. but video is skipping

video skipping is a network issue or a limitation of your transcoding machine (i.e computer). :)

jetjaguar
Oct 9, 2010, 07:19 PM
dont think it is either .. changed some settings and it seems to work now ...
might go wired instead of wireless

drjaspal19
Dec 31, 2010, 12:09 PM
:confused:
I have brought the medialink program, and I have connected the PS3 system to the internet wirelessly. I have activated and started media files sharing from my macbook.

But my PS3 can not find my macbook or the media server (medialink)!! I have tried disabling firewalls.it does connect to the Belkin Play Media Server, which is empty in all folders.

I have tried PS3 mediaserver too, but that cant find my PS3.

Please help.
Thank you

stevemiller
Jan 2, 2011, 07:27 PM
i've been trying out ps3 media server and it works almost perfectly... sd content transcodes on my laptop with very little processor usage, and plays smoothly on the ps3 even over wifi.

but i've noticed that about 80% of the way through any video file, the video will freeze and become pretty much unplayable beyond that point. i've tried it on about 4-5 files so far, and it happens in about the same spot every time. can anyone think of a setting that might be causing such an issue?

DoFoT9
Jan 4, 2011, 04:34 AM
i've been trying out ps3 media server and it works almost perfectly... sd content transcodes on my laptop with very little processor usage, and plays smoothly on the ps3 even over wifi.

but i've noticed that about 80% of the way through any video file, the video will freeze and become pretty much unplayable beyond that point. i've tried it on about 4-5 files so far, and it happens in about the same spot every time. can anyone think of a setting that might be causing such an issue?

interesting problem. during this time, can you see how full the transcoded buffer is?

stevemiller
Jan 6, 2011, 11:25 PM
the buffer empties. and it sits frozen for like 10 minutes, then plays a couple more frames and freezes again, etc. the ps3 is connected by ethernet directly.

its driving me nuts, its happened with every single file i've tried. different codecs, bitrates, resolutions etc. :(

DoFoT9
Jan 7, 2011, 02:35 AM
the buffer empties. and it sits frozen for like 10 minutes, then plays a couple more frames and freezes again, etc. the ps3 is connected by ethernet directly.

its driving me nuts, its happened with every single file i've tried. different codecs, bitrates, resolutions etc. :(

would you mind posting screenshots of the main config pages? such as where you specify how many cores to use/what quality etc.

that would help :)

also, had you tried another ethernet cable? that was a problem with mine recently.

stevemiller
Jan 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/shteeve/ps3ms_mencoder.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/shteeve/ps3ms_mencoder.jpg

again, the problem always occurs seemingly at a set point relative to the end of the file (no skips or hiccups or buffer underruns during the rest of the video) and is independent of whether the file is being transcoded or streamed directly. i'm starting to wonder if its a ps3 issue more than a media server one...

DoFoT9
Jan 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
again, the problem always occurs seemingly at a set point relative to the end of the file (no skips or hiccups or buffer underruns during the rest of the video) and is independent of whether the file is being transcoded or streamed directly. i'm starting to wonder if its a ps3 issue more than a media server one...

is it just for this set of TV shows (i noticed that they are downloaded). what about other ones?

i wonder if its work converting them to say, .m4v using HandBrake and trying again - if it is a timeslicing issue that would remap them correctly.

pcypert
Jan 17, 2011, 11:10 PM
Loving PS3 Media Server. Like it a lot better than streaming to my 360...never clicked with that. Now if I could just get my music files working...

Paul

stevemiller
Jan 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
@pcypert, what issues are you having with music streaming with ps3mediaserver? worked like a charm for me!

DoFoT9
Jan 19, 2011, 06:44 AM
Loving PS3 Media Server. Like it a lot better than streaming to my 360...never clicked with that. Now if I could just get my music files working...

Paul

you will find this setting very handy then :)

http://f.cl.ly/items/46292K200n2f3l0j0q0D/Screen%20shot%202011-01-19%20at%2011.43.30%20PM.jpg

pcypert
Jan 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. Have it working...man is the library buried deep when you go to browse :D

Question, is it possible to play a song and still be able to browse? This is kind of a deal breaker for me as I like the ability to look for a new song to play while the other is playing. When I back back out to the menu the song stops playing :(

DoFoT9
Jan 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the tip. Have it working...man is the library buried deep when you go to browse :D

Question, is it possible to play a song and still be able to browse? This is kind of a deal breaker for me as I like the ability to look for a new song to play while the other is playing. When I back back out to the menu the song stops playing :(

ive been attempting to find a solution, unfortunately i cannot, which REALLY does suck! silly Sony making a crappy product! i normally just create a playlist on the computer and play that - seems to work "ok" for me.

tpr007
Mar 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
just installed ps3mediaserver

Works very well (only tried .avi's so far)

And, for free it's fantastic, I almost bought medialink, but no need now.

DoFoT9
Mar 16, 2011, 12:06 AM
just installed ps3mediaserver

Works very well (only tried .avi's so far)

And, for free it's fantastic, I almost bought medialink, but no need now.

no need to at all ;)

running ok for you?

SogeKing
Jul 7, 2011, 01:31 AM
wow this works great just installed it and gave it a try, i've been using Vuze to stream movies to my ps3 but this works way better

does anyone know if it works fine with lion?