Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihabia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2007
italy
It's a desire...
Mac mini will be discontinued... it could become a little mac pro with core quad and 4 GB of ram as option. I know it needs a dedicated motherboard and a new thermal design...
It should be useful for the people wich use a notebook being always ac connected (home, work, studio) and need more computational power.
Lets imagine his little bag...

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I've been wondering what it's going to be replaced by if it is actually discontinued.
I don't think it'll outdo the iMac but it might be somethin that is customisable to the point where it's comparable with extra expandability.
It might just fulfill the wants of those asking for the "headless" iMac.

ihabia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2007
italy
It might just fulfill the wants of those asking for the "headless" iMac.

I think there is a lack in the mac line up...
IMac, MacBook and MacBookPro are almost the same machines: core and motherboard are designed for the mobile market where performance per watt and power consuming make the difference.
MacMini should be a powerful "mobile" computer you can bring wherether you can find ac and a screen. His advantage on notebooks must be in term of performances instead of price... it could acquire dual or quad core Conroe chip, a few GB of ram and a nice gpu.
It's not easy to fill all that in a little case but apple could catch the challenge.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I think there is a lack in the mac line up...
IMac, MacBook and MacBookPro are almost the same machines: core and motherboard are designed for the mobile market where performance per watt and power consuming make the difference.
MacMini should be a powerful "mobile" computer you can bring wherether you can find ac and a screen. His advantage on notebooks must be in term of performances instead of price... it could acquire dual or quad core Conroe chip, a few GB of ram and a nice gpu.
It's not easy to fill all that in a little case but apple could catch the challenge.

:confused: With a full line of notebooks, why do we need another mobile-centric design?

ihabia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2007
italy
With a full line of notebooks, why do we need another mobile-centric design?
Because notebooks need battery, screen, low bus frequency, mobile chips, little fans and so on.
We need a powerful easy to carry apple compter. The new macmini!

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Because notebooks need battery, screen, low bus frequency, mobile chips, little fans and so on.

Uh. Yeah, and what you're asking for needs a monitor, keyboard, mouse, powersupply, etc. I guess I just don't see the draw in a "portable" that doesn't actually allow you to use it unless you happen to be going somewhere with all the extra stuff laying around.

Not to mention, that the current mini does what you're asking for as well, probably in a far more compact package than something that doesn't still use mobile components.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Uh. Yeah, and what you're asking for needs a monitor, keyboard, mouse, powersupply, etc. I guess I just don't see the draw in a "portable" that doesn't actually allow you to use it unless you happen to be going somewhere with all the extra stuff laying around.

Not to mention, that the current mini does what you're asking for as well, probably in a far more compact package than something that doesn't still use mobile components.

Like the old luggables, just needed a mains socket :D

I think Dell and many others do/did laptops without a battery purely for desktop use

Attachments

• rcm-002.jpg
    rcm-002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 121

ihabia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2007
italy

The current mini is less than any apple notebook. His advantage is only the price.
I see the mini as a very little Xserve you can bring everywhere.
I'm probably the only one who needs it.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006

This sound like the market which is addressed by other manufacturers with their Desktop-Replacement-Laptops being laptops with large screens, often desktop or the fastest "mobile" chips available and sometimes multiple hard drives. These machines are clearly less portable than any laptop offered by Apple but there are people who want all the power they can get while retaining a little bit of portability. Apple apparently doesn't think this market to them is worth venturing into.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
What do you call the 17" MacBook Pro then? :eek:

The 17" MacBook Pro has a 17" screen but everything else about it is optimized to be a thin and light portable laptop. The typical desktop replacement notbook uses more desktop like components like faster less energy efficient GPUs for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.