Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
My brother just called me saying that his Dual USB iBook has smoke coming from the power receptacle along with green liquid on the plug. I told him to shut it down :eek:

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? He's bringing it over now, but I'm not so sure I want to turn it back on. Maybe just long enough to put it into target disk mode and backup some photos.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Wow! Do not turn it on. What exactly smokes? Is it the transformer, the power connector, or what? Also, what kind of iBook is it? G3? G4? Dual USB? etc.

JonoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
It's a Dual USB iBook. All I know right now is that the smoke comes from the power receptacle.

What the hell would that green liquid be?

My brother just called me saying that his Dual USB iBook has smoke coming from the power receptacle along with green liquid on the plug. I told him to shut it down :eek:

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? He's bringing it over now, but I'm not so sure I want to turn it back on. Maybe just long enough to put it into target disk mode and backup some photos.

Woah...a capacitor might have popped!! That's a serious problem. Make sure you take proper care!

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
It's obvious that the green liquid is radioactive waste. Give your power supply enough time and it will be able to fly.

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Unplug everything (and remove the laptop battery) and call Apple right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.