PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Update?

Sedulous
Jun 28, 2003, 02:51 AM
Anyone know what the hard drive update does? It has a scary warning:

The Hard Disk Update improves the longevity of some hard drives. Your drives may or may not need to have firmware updated; installing and running this update will tell you if updating is required.

IMPORTANT -- It is strongly recommended that you back up the data on your hard drives to an external drive or removable media before running this update. If an error should occur during the update process, your hard drives may become unusable. In that case, all data on the drives could be lost.

Note: When installation is complete, Hard Drive Update 1 should launch automatically. If the update does not launch automatically, please launch it manually:

/Applications/Utilities/Hard Drive Update 1

mnkeybsness
Jun 28, 2003, 10:53 AM
don't worry about it. it's just a warning so if something happens, you can't get all pissed at apple.

frontpage
Aug 31, 2003, 02:53 PM
I'm sure mnkybsness was being sarcastic about suggesting that Sedulous not worry about using Hard Drive Update from Apple. I wanted to post a word of caution, however, to ABSOLUTELY back up your files before attempting an installation of the HDU firmware. ESPECIALLY if you have an IBM/Hitachi Deathstar model, which this firmware may affect, according to MacObserver posted at <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/07/05.1.shtml>

I also have read some feedback, mainly negative, that appears in at least one Macintosh software download website. Usually I take my chances and simply go ahead and pop in firmware or software. But Apple's message is very clear and dark. They have yet to tell what the exact issue(s) is (are) about this firmware update. I only discovered the issue after purchasing a G4 Quicksilver and running Software Update.

Some of their firmware seems a bit suspect to me after popping into other forums or doing a google search on whatever the update might be. For instance, the firmware update on SuperDrives. A couple different sites questioned whether Apple is limiting the hardware to channel the user towards wherever they're trying to push us. It almost sounds like a chapter from the novel 1984.

Funny.....Lately, I've been mistaking Steve Jobs for Bill Gates. Or is it Steve Gates?

One more caution: Back up your data or it may very well be lost.

mnkeybsness
Aug 31, 2003, 03:29 PM
wow dude...way to revive a very old thread...this thing is at least 2 months old!

Freg3000
Aug 31, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
wow dude...way to revive a very old thread...this thing is at least 2 months old!

Not that long. In the days before WWDC, I was on Spymac, and the thread was "I saw the Power mac G5!" It was really long and had about 8 pages to it. I went to the front to read everything. I noticed the date was like June 1x. Something around there. It was very interesting and all, but then I read someone's post that seems a bit dated. It turned out that it was written in June....of 2002! Come to think of it, it might have even been 2001.

Now that was a dead thread that came back to life! :)