Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It says he had an acting career before his years of game show appearances. I guess he wasn't just well-known for being well-known, as I thought.

The Saturday Night Live caricatures of him were well done, probably because it's easy to caricature somebody who emotes, laughs a lot, and has a unique style.

Cindynjgirl79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
New Jersey
I only knew him from reruns of Match Game and that funny guy SNL did with Will Farrell Inside the Actor's Studio.
I think I still liked Mr. Humphries tho.

mr. humphies was the 1st gay i saw and understood what being gay was. are you being served was on all the time when was like 12 on pbs. loved that show and still do. it's still on pbs.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I always like that guy he had a great sense of humor, was humble and self deprecating.

Reminds me of the late 80s when a friend of mine has a band called "Charles Manson Reiley" - boy their t-shirts were funny.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
He was also on a show in the early 70's called "It Pays To Be Ignorant".
This was a spoof of quiz shows, and Reilly was a panelist. His sassy comebacks and jokes were the stuff of legend. A lot of his antics were just laugh-out-loud funny. He will be missed.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You can't tell from his TV clips, but Charles Nelson Reilly was a respected actor. He was nominated for and won Tonys and also received Emmy nominations.

He was also an acting teacher whose students included Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin. Imagine the insane conversations you'd get if you put those three in the same room!

Given his habit of dressing in wild colors, perhaps it's appropriate that I'm posting in magenta.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
More name dropping

He was also an acting teacher whose students included Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin.
Add Liza Minnelli and Christine Lahti to that list.

He studied acting with Charles Grodin, Hal Holbook, Jack Lemmon, and Geraldine Page.

Trivia: At age 13 he survived a circus fire that killed over 165 people. He never sat in a theater audience again! I guess he had to be on the stage whenever he was in a theater.

Cindynjgirl79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
New Jersey

He was also an acting teacher whose students included Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin. Imagine the insane conversations you'd get if you put those three in the same room!

oh didn't know that! interesting info DrQ, learn something new on MR every day on here.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Must I mention Uncle Croc's Block?

ucroc1lg.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.