PDA

View Full Version : Pupils suffer in schools computer row

MacBytes
May 28, 2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Pupils suffer in schools computer row (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070528144858)
Description:: Software has been wiped from thousands of school computers because of a row over Government funding.

Microsoft Office programs have been ordered to be removed from about 25,000 Apple Macintosh computers in schools.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

elppa
May 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
This is why Apple should bundle iWork with the core OS.

Make life easier for educational institutions.

afd
May 28, 2007, 03:27 PM
This is why Apple should bundle iWork with the core OS.

Make life easier for educational institutions.

Completely agree. Especially with the Mac - PC ads saying how Macs come with all the software you need. Most of the PC laptops and computers I have seen at school have at least come with Works or Word. My G5 iMac did come with Appleworks, but I don't remember ever running it. Apple should bundle iWork, I believe then it really would have all you need out of the box and Macs would be very desirable to educational establishments as there would be reduced licensing implications.

dukebound85
May 28, 2007, 03:54 PM
or like neooffice. its not like they are totally helpless

psychofreak
May 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
or like neooffice. its not like they are totally helpless

Yes, and hopefully a truly aquafied OpenOffice soon :)

elppa
May 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
I like the bit about "That's not the sort of software we should be expecting kids in New Zealand to be using.", when the other 70% of schools use Windows!

I wonder if he had actually used Neo Office, sure it lacks the spit and polish (Word X 2004 is pretty nice I think), but feature for feature it's pretty close.

Besides its a fact of life all software has bugs.

Appleworks, but I don't remember ever running it.

AppleWorks (then ClarisWorks) was a good product. In 1997.

It was nicely integrated with the look, feel and technologies of the classic Mac OS.

Unfortunately the OS X port was nothing more than a stop gap and it looked completely out of place compared to some of the sophisticated software in development.

Fortunately Apple went down the "start from scratch path" with iWork. Unfortunately they still haven't replaced the simple drawing, painting, database and spreadsheet modules.

Dunepilot
May 29, 2007, 06:10 AM
I like the bit about "That's not the sort of software we should be expecting kids in New Zealand to be using.", when the other 70% of schools use Windows!

I wonder if he had actually used Neo Office, sure it lacks the spit and polish (Word X 2004 is pretty nice I think), but feature for feature it's pretty close.

Besides its a fact of life all software has bugs.

AppleWorks (then ClarisWorks) was a good product. In 1997.

It was nicely integrated with the look, feel and technologies of the classic Mac OS.

Unfortunately the OS X port was nothing more than a stop gap and it looked completely out of place compared to some of the sophisticated software in development.

Fortunately Apple went down the "start from scratch path" with iWork. Unfortunately they still haven't replaced the simple drawing, painting, database and spreadsheet modules.

At version 4, Clarisworks was absolutely superb. I couldn't believe how much slower MS Office was to use when I first tried it around the end of the ninetees.

SPUY767
May 29, 2007, 07:42 AM
Who wants to bet that MS gouges the price of the Edu License for Office Mac? This is likely just a ploy by MS to force the schools out of using Macs and onto the Windows Garbage Truck.

psychofreak
May 29, 2007, 07:44 AM
Who wants to bet that MS gouges the price of the Edu License for Office Mac? This is likely just a ploy by MS to force the schools out of using Macs and onto the Windows Garbage Truck.

Sun is a big company; with them backing a truly aquafied OpenOffice, it could go anywhere. If Apple (and even Google?) supported it, it could go a long way :)

SPUY767
May 29, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sun is a big company; with them backing a truly aquafied OpenOffice, it could go anywhere. If Apple (and even Google?) supported it, it could go a long way :)

You don't have to tell me, I recompiled a kernel and I use Solaris on my Mac Pro. It runs marvellously. It has a few driver problems, but most of them are negligible, i.e. sound, which doesn't bother me, I bought an iMic to use with bootcamp.