Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Palm has sent out teaser invites to media today indicating that they will be introducing a "new category of mobile device" at the D: All Things Digital conference.
Jeff Hawkins, founder of Palm, Inc., will host a live video webcast on Wed., May 30, to describe a new category of mobile device. The webcast will follow the announcement of this new product at the D: All Things Digital conference in Carlsbad, Calif.
Few details available, but there are expectations that Palm will finally be releasing a device that they have been hinting at for almost 2 years. Speculation on the device runs the entire range of form factors from tablet, smartphone, mini-laptop, etc...

Previous reports believed that Palm was working on a new line of products that would serve as a "response" to the iPhone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
they're doing the pre-launch hype invite like Apple. Hopefully it will live up to it. :)

arn

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i've been waiting for this for the past month or so. i couldn't find any rumors that give any information.

only hawkin's interview about a "revolutionary device". as if we hadn't heard that before.

i hope it's good enough to save palm. but my guess is its a life drive like device, overpriced with some wifi-internet browser.......

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
cool....I've always had a soft spot for Palm...not sure why...the Treo always seemed like the smartphone I'd buy, but the iPhone took its sale for me.

Eagerly waiting for tomorrow

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
Whatever it is, it will still suck bad eggs when connecting to a Mac using Palm Desktop software written in 1997.

It's Palm... what else have they given us?

Rhema

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
Im excited to see what they got. Hopefully they are taking hints from the industry and will clean up the look of the palm OS, with the new hinted os. Thats the only thing I don't like about the treos.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Well, here's hoping. Bought some PALM options today in case this gets picked up widely in the media and bumps the stock a bit.

Anyway, I would love something to replace my Treo 700p...the iPhone isn't good for me since it probably won't run any of my medical software, and I'm on Verizon. I'd love a thin Treo with a nice wide screen and lots of storage. Not that that's what they're going to release tomorrow, I'm just saying.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
they're doing the pre-launch hype invite like Apple. Hopefully it will live up to it. :)

arn

I want cool new devices as much as the next geek, but I'd rather the competitors not announce their cool new device until Apple has sold a few million iPhones :eek:

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Perhaps this is the shot-in-the-arm that Palm needs as a company. It started with such a great product line and reputation, it's a pity to see it struggling so much. In all honesty, if they can offer an iPhone-like product with a more competitive package than Apple, I'd seriously consider it. Somehow, I doubt they'll be able to offer the ease-of-use of Apple products and can almost guarantee 'inoperability' with the Mac OS (it'll claim to sync, but won't do much but mount a disk on the desktop... leaving me to drag the songs and picts I want manually). But if it plays nicely with iTunes, iCal, & iPhoto, and comes with a nice browser without costing a fortune, I'd forego multi-touch and the Apple brand-name. Even being a Mac-user for most of my life, I'm not too blind to recognize a good product when I see it... unlike some people here.......... :rolleyes:

-Clive

diademsoftware

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2007
Boy a lot of cool things coming our way. Kind of looking forward to see what they will have. My Treo650 is starting to look old all of a sudden!

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
A response to the iPhone ? From Palm ?

Let me think...it's the pi(e?)Phone!

piphonewc9.jpg

or

piephonewy1.jpg

?

iSaint

macrumors 603
to describe a new category of mobile device

"It's going to be really cool, and do lots of...stuff!"

Describe, but not show? ...demonstrate?

It would be really funny if they didn't have anything to show, but just went on a lot of promises in an effort to keep up with the potential gap the iPhone might create. :D

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Somehow, I doubt they'll be able to offer the ease-of-use of Apple products and can almost guarantee 'inoperability' with the Mac OS (it'll claim to sync, but won't do much but mount a disk on the desktop...

I've got a Palm Z22 and I love it. It's extremely easy to use. For me, it's a bit pricey as just an organizer (even at $99), but it synchs beautifully with my iMac through Palm Desktop and has been trouble-free. It also has an amazing battery life, lasting up to two weeks without a re-charge!

As much as I find the iPhone to be a gorgeous piece of technology, I can't imagine that Palm, RIM, Verizon, MS or any other company is taking this lying down. Tomorrow's conference will give everyone a brief chance to take the spotlight from Apple. Unless someone can top Steve, All Things Digital will go down as the Day of the iPhone.

Jay

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
More competition = better products. I'm excited to see what this is. Palm really did revolutionize back in the day with their organizers.

I've been trying to budget for an iPhone but I'd love to have more options to choose from for a portable internet phone.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I notice the thread on Microsoft's product has had nearly 4x as many responses as of now.

Will be interesting to see who produced the better product. I know where my money is.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
More competition = better products.

Yep. That's what it's all about. I'd be happy to see HP and Dell and half a dozen other PC manufacturers saying "Hey, we got stuff too!" and all having surprise announcements in the next couple days. I'd love to have some really fierce competition in the handheld computing area. Better prices for better products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.