PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powermacs

reflex
Jun 29, 2003, 04:49 AM
Is it just me or are the G4 Powermacs a really good deal at the moment? For the price of a 900MHz iBook you get a G4 1.25GHz with an 80GB hd. And for the price that a 1GHz G4 used to be, you can have a dual 1.25GHz. I'm really tempted here (despite the existance of the G5)...

irmongoose
Jun 29, 2003, 05:06 AM
If you don't mind having a G4 (in the presence of the G5 I really can't), or you can't wait until September, I would say the G4 PowerMacs are a good deal, yes. It's such a good deal that Apple Japan (www.apple.co.jp) is inversely featuring it on the main page with the G5! (just reload the page)

irmongoose

reflex
Jun 29, 2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
If you don't mind having a G4 (in the presence of the G5 I really can't), or you can't wait until September, I would say the G4 PowerMacs are a good deal, yes. It's such a good deal that Apple Japan (www.apple.co.jp) is inversely featuring it on the main page with the G5! (just reload the page)

I have an iBook now, so I'm familiar with not having the latest generation cpu :)

For me cheaper is better, since I don't really use the iBook very much (can't use it for work and work takes up a lot of time). I've been planning to get into mac programming but as I said, not enough time and so I can't really justify spending a lot of money on a G5, however much I'd like to have one.

There's of course also the fact that a dual G4 system is cheaper still than a single G5 1.6GHz. Owning a dual system has a certain appeal :)

MacFan25
Jun 29, 2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by reflex
For the price of a 900MHz iBook you get a G4 1.25GHz with an 80GB hd.
But, you've got to remember that you don't get a monitor there, and the iBook does have one. But, I do think that its still a good deal.

reflex
Jun 29, 2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by MacFan25
But, you've got to remember that you don't get a monitor there, and the iBook does have one. But, I do think that its still a good deal.

Yes, you're right. That's something I always forget (or choose to forget). On the other hand, I do have a 17" crt I'm not using, so for me at least it's not a big deal.