PDA

View Full Version : Changing devices

ddk121
May 30, 2007, 11:28 AM
Hi
I really need some help from you forum users. I have been looking at the creative zens for quite a while, and as I am looking for a small, cheap, MP3 player with an FM radio, I have decided to go ahead and buy one. But, I have one problem. I have bought many songs, over 500, from itunes music store. How would I go about putting these DRM'ed tracks onto my new music player? :confused:
Thanks

mkrishnan
May 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
1) Burn them to Audio CD (as audio tracks) and then re-rip them.

2) If they, through mythical coincidence, are all EMI tracks, wait for the UK to get the EMI deal and upgrade.

3) Pursue an illegal solution that will require googling on your part and may or may not work.

4) Get an iPod.

As far as I know, those are your options.

Frankf300
May 30, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yea, besides getting an iPod, burning and re-ripping them is really your only option. It works, you lose some quality, but worse than anything it's so time consuming. I recently went through something similar. I traded my 1g nano for the Power Mac in my sig and picked up a cheap mp3 player with SD card slot. I only had about 50 songs that I had to do that with, I can't imagine doing it for 500 songs. Besides the fact that I miss my iPod badly. As awesome as the B&W is, I curse myself for getting rid of my iPod, it was just so easy to sync with iTunes. Now I have to wait until I've got the cash for a new iPod. If you can wait it out, I'd highly reccomend just getting an iPod, it will make your life so much easier. :D

mkrishnan
May 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
I was thinking about this some more...If you do go for the burn/re-rip option, which I've never done, this might help you out:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php?page=4#trackinfotocdtracks

This will still be time consuming, but perhaps a lot less so. What you would do is:

1) Get a CD-RW (not an R)
2) Make a series of CD-sized playlists -- you'll probably have about 25-30 of them to fit all your purchased songs, if you have 500. You can make them as big as possible up to the 80 minute limit.
3) I think you can use the script I linked above to make it so that you can somehow enforce the tracklist of the playlist onto the CD that you burn (I'm not certain about this... but that seems to be what it's for), so that when you re-rip the CD, you don't lose the ID3 tags.

So what you do is burn the tracks one by one to the CD, re-rip, and then erase and repeat. You only need one CD-RW. It will take you some time. But if you did a couple of playlists a night, it would take you maybe a couple of weeks and then you'd be 100% done, and the process is relatively low-maintenance (meaning you can do something else like watch TV or go exercise while it's running).

Gotta figure out if it's worth it to you, though. :o

ddk121
May 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated :)