PDA

View Full Version : amplifier for an ipod to be used on a motorcycle?

Keebler
May 30, 2007, 01:19 PM
does anyone use an amp with their ipod?

friend of mine wants to boost the sound as he finds it hard to hear his ipod while riding? any thoughts?

yetanotherdave
May 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
I use seinheiser in ear headphones on my bike. They are noise cancelling meaning I don't have to jack up the volume to ear hurting volumes to hear it. I can listen to music at a good noise level and hear it all clearly without damaging my ears.

MacAnkka
May 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
Using an amplifier to boost the volume to overpower ambient noise? That sounds like a perfect way to kill your ears.

You should use an amp with an ipod if your headphones are so inefficient that the iPod's own amp just isn't enough to drive them in normal usage, and/or to replace the iPod's own amp if you think it sucks too much. They are not meant to boost the volume on normal headphones so you can drown loud ambient noises and get permanent hearing damage.

Better to get in-ear headphones, like DrAtheist said, that will block ambient noise. That will make it harder to hear important sounds on the road, though, so it isn't very safe, either.

yetanotherdave
May 30, 2007, 03:11 PM
Using an amplifier to boost the volume to overpower ambient noise? That sounds like a perfect way to kill your ears.

You should use an amp with an ipod if your headphones are so inefficient that the iPod's own amp just isn't enough to drive them in normal usage, and/or to replace the iPod's own amp if you think it sucks too much. They are not meant to boost the volume on normal headphones so you can drown loud ambient noises and get permanent hearing damage.

Better to get in-ear headphones, like DrAtheist said, that will block ambient noise. That will make it harder to hear important sounds on the road, though, so it isn't very safe, either.

Using in ear headphones in my experience takes the noise levels from a loud bike to the sort of noise levels you get in a car, where you listen to music anyway. I don't see this as different to listening to music in your car. Most riders (including police riders) use earplugs to cut down wind noise and help preserve their hearing, so I don't see a safety problem.