PDA

View Full Version : The next iPod WILL be like the iPhone sans phone

yetanotherdave
May 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
Steve Jobs:
We're working on the best iPods that we've ever worked on... and they're AWESOME.

Interviewer: Ok! Moving right along... what phone are you carrying?

Steve Jobs: [ flashes the iPhone, puts it back away] Best iPod we've ever made, best phone we've ever made!

In the same breath Steve Jobs refers to the iPhone as the best ever iPod, and the new iPod as the best ever.
This means one of two things:
1) either they are ditching the iPod for iPhone entirely.
2) or the new iPod will be like the iPhone without the phone (ie touch screen, widescreen etc)

To all the people who say this will never happen:
1) a 80gb+ iPod is nowhere near the same market as the 8Gb iPhone. If the iPhone had a big harddisk I'd agree, but no.
2) they've spent a lot on R&D developing multi touch etc. They'd be mad to not use that investement in other products,
3) the iPod is in need of an updae, and everyone is really excited about the iPhone.
I predict a new video iPod in time for christmas at the latest.

bcline
May 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
arghh....i realize that with the iPhone coming out everything has taken a back burner, but i just wish the new iPods were coming out soon :)

ibookowner2005
May 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
I would expect the next iPod to have full touch screen interface. Basically, the iPod interface from the iPhone, just without everything else!

I hope they release the next gen iPod's soons, but i feel that Apple wont release them for one reason...

They know customers will pay a large sum of money to get their hands on this "new touch interface"... just because it "a touch interface"... its almost a "Cool" factor. So they wont release a cheaper device 'ie the iPod' with a "touch interface" before they have released the more expensive iPhone.

Do you understand what im trying to say... whats your thoughts...? :rolleyes:

TheAnswer
May 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
I think we'll see a touch interface large capacity iPod in the Fall...right in line for Christmas.

yetanotherdave
May 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
I would expect the next iPod to have full touch screen interface. Basically, the iPod interface from the iPhone, just without everything else!

I hope they release the next gen iPod's soons, but i feel that Apple wont release them for one reason...

They know customers will pay a large sum of money to get their hands on this "new touch interface"... just because it "a touch interface"... its almost a "Cool" factor. So they wont release a cheaper device 'ie the iPod' with a "touch interface" before they have released the more expensive iPhone.

Do you understand what im trying to say... whats your thoughts...? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's why I predict "in time for christmas" not with a month or two of the iPhone.
Maybe they're working on a new feature for the iPod that wont be on the iPhone, to avoid the iPod being seen as a feature lacking iPhone.

QuarterSwede
May 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
As soon as I saw the iPhone, when it was announced, it was quite obvious that the next iPod would use the same interface shown on the iPhone. Apple would have to be brain dead to not use it.

psychofreak
May 30, 2007, 09:33 PM
I don't see the need for a home button...

Kermit the frog
May 30, 2007, 09:39 PM
I hope the new ipods will support Wifi and will have a touch screen.

yetanotherdave
May 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
I hope the new ipods will support Wifi and will have a touch screen.

touch screen iPhone inteface yes, wifi? what for? (assuming it stays music/video only)

[.edit] actually, iPod with wifi playing over airtunes would be quite cool :)

QuarterSwede
May 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
touch screen iPhone inteface yes, wifi? what for? (assuming it stays music/video only)

[.edit] actually, iPod with wifi playing over airtunes would be quite cool :)
Personally, I'd love to have an iPod capable of holding all my songs (at least 30GB) and be able to stream to an Airport Express ... not needing to use iTunes on my PowerBook would be great.

queshy
May 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
I can totally see the next gen iPod being like the iPhone, sans phone.

They'll put a hard drive in there instead, and probably keep the camera/internet stuff.

zioxide
May 31, 2007, 12:43 AM
Click Wheel > Multi-touch

mashinhead
May 31, 2007, 02:37 AM
RDF...Steve says everything they ever make is the best they've ever made. Today's apple tv is the best apple tv apple's ever made. If it's like the iphone then it's already done. just needs to be put in production. or they're choosing the right time to release it so it doesn't eat iphone sales.

I'd like to see a feature for either the next ipod or the iphone where you could use it to control your itunes at home through the airport express/airtunes software. kinda like the remote that sonos offers for their system.

kevinliu4
May 31, 2007, 08:47 AM
It seems like people are more excited at the prospect of a multi touch widescreen iPod than the iPhone. iPhone definitely looks cool but for me, the most exciting part about it is the iPod element. Remove the iPod element and it immediately loses it's attraction to me. I am waiting for a sweet 80gb or larger multi touch widescreen iPod!

Kaiser Phoenix
May 31, 2007, 09:15 AM
Personally, I'd love to have an iPod capable of holding all my songs (at least 30GB) and be able to stream to an Airport Express ... not needing to use iTunes on my PowerBook would be great.

Yeah actually thats a pretty good idea to be honest. If we can keep all the music on the ipod, and back up directly to an external for example then we can keep the music off the machines....:apple:

Evangelion
May 31, 2007, 09:29 AM
In the same breath Steve Jobs refers to the iPhone as the best ever iPod, and the new iPod as the best ever.
This means one of two things:

While I agree that we will see iPhone-based iPod in not too distant fufure. But... you are still reading WAY too much in to his comments.

carfac
May 31, 2007, 11:38 AM
I think you may have something....

Obviously, Apple has put a LOT of resources into iPhone, which has sucked resources from other areas. A lot of that work has been the interface and touchscreen. I think it would be silly to use that in only one device, when, with little modification, it could be used in their most popular device to date.

I would assume that the mini-OS X used in the iPhone would be roughly the same needed for an enhanced iPod.

So, how much hardware does a cel phone need? Is it about the same "size" as a hard drive?

kuebby
May 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
So, how much hardware does a cel phone need? Is it about the same "size" as a hard drive?

If I had to guess I'd say it's about that much space since there's a lot of components for the phone, there's the antenna, SIM card, etc. Plus when you take away the flash memory there should be plenty of room for a HDD.

Dagless
May 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
My wild prediction is that the new iPods won't be like the iPhone. They've developed the tech for sure and it's a route they will be going IMO. But why release an iPhone styled iPod? Surely it would cannibalise sales, or make the capacity of the iPhone stick out like a sore thumb (100gb vs 8gb).

I think the touchscreen iPod will be launched at least 6 months after the iPhone.

That said, if the touchscreen iPods are out sooner then I'll be flogging my iPod to my family (TV output+travellers=w00t) and picking up a 100gb 'pod.

Draythor
Jun 1, 2007, 11:08 AM
I can't help but think that the loss of the click wheel will mean that the whole system is harder to use. Not by much, but harder. Don't get me wrong I like the iPhone and would get one, if I ever thought I would use it.
I still have a first gen nano (when I say have I meant that the damn repair guy has yet to send the darn thing back to me) I find the click wheel so simple to use. I can practically navigate the whole of my iPod with it in my pocket. I'd rather see the click wheel kept, even if it's on the back like in those patent pics we saw not so long ago. Anyone care to point out where I'm wrong on this affair? The iPhone has severly damaged Apples fantastic new product turn around, Leopard, iPods and Macs all seem to have been delayed for this one product which I can see getting similar press as the 1st gen nano did. "I only put my iPhone in my pocket with all manner of sharp objects and it got scratched" type complaints will flood these forums within 1 hour of it's release. Can't wait :rolleyes: ...

BoyBach
Jun 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
Steve Jobs: [ flashes the iPhone, puts it back away] Best iPod we've ever made, best phone we've ever made!

But didn't he say something along the same lines when the iPhone was unveiled in January?

atszyman
Jun 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
I would say that there will be more lost than just the phone. If they keep wifi there will be no browser/email/chat available on the iPod or you'd really hurt the phone sales. My prediction is a widescreen touchscreen interface, no WiFi, but keep the Bluetooth for syncing wirelessly/wireless headphones.

This way the distinction other than the phone portion is the internet connectivity. If the iPod had internet at hotspots too many people would opt for the large capacity of the iPod (since the current top of the line iPod is already less than the iPhone, I wouldn't expect this to change) and would then take a free or massively discounted phone that does what they need from their provider of choice.

v-ault
Jun 1, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think they're adding multitouch, widescreen sceens, and wifi to the Ipods.

Espoir07
Jun 1, 2007, 01:56 PM
While a new iPod which Xmillion new features is great..
I've been using my Generation 3 iPod for years now and even though I've thought about buying a new one, all I want is to listen to music so I haven't upgraded

billchase2
Jun 1, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah actually thats a pretty good idea to be honest. If we can keep all the music on the ipod, and back up directly to an external for example then we can keep the music off the machines....:apple:
I love this idea and could totally see it taking off. Okay, how many GB of music do we all have on our computers? Tons... and just think if we could get all that hard drive space back, yet still have our music via itunes (wirelessly via ipod).

I've been holding off and holding off (for over a year now) on getting a new ipod because i want the latest thing... hopefully it will come out sooner than later for people like me.

queshy
Jun 6, 2007, 03:58 AM
I was just watching some videos on my iPod, and it came to me - the next iPod! It will have the exact same form factor as the 5 G iPod, except the click wheel will be gone and the screen will take up the entire screen, and have multitouch. 60 and 100 gb capacities probably, video, photos, and music. That's it.
I would buy one in a flash!

Genghis Khan
Jun 6, 2007, 06:27 AM
i am dubious about the future iPod...to the point will tehre ever be one?

with iPhone, apple will have all they need (except perhaps a bigger harddrive/flashdrive)

but if there is a widescreen touch-screen iPod, expect it at WWDC, otherwise it ain't happening

emotion
Jun 6, 2007, 06:48 AM
I think we'll see a touch interface large capacity iPod in the Fall...right in line for Christmas.

I would think that too if it wasn't for the fact that iPhones won't be released everywhere until the beginning of 2008.

I can't see them wanting to ruin the European and Asian iPhone launches by undermining it with a similar ipod.

The ipod is in need of an update though, I agree.

bluemonkey
Jun 6, 2007, 07:42 AM
What about the recent patent application which seemed to describe a full screen iPod with the virtual clickwheel on the back? It would have a similar form factor to the iPhone, but the back and sides would be pressure sensitive. For some reason, they're concerned about smudges on the iPod, but not the iPhone.

poke4christ
Jun 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
So does anybody think that the next ipod will be available in Solid State versions like the current Nano? I'm kind of thinking they may have a 30GB solid state version and HDD versions of the higher capacity units.

As for a timetable, I think it's important to note that last year Apple pulled the same Education "Free iPod" deal. Well, they promptly cam out with the new version of the nano and iPod the very next day. I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume the same thing.

So, assuming the same thing happens here (given it's a big if) the release date of the next generation would be Monday September 17. I really don't think that's unreasonable. It gives the iPhone almost three months to be on the market. By that time the buzz will have died and Apple will have been forced to reduce the price dramatically (another assumption, but I think one with merit).

rockthecasbah
Jun 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
What about the recent patent application which seemed to describe a full screen iPod with the virtual clickwheel on the back? It would have a similar form factor to the iPhone, but the back and sides would be pressure sensitive. For some reason, they're concerned about smudges on the iPod, but not the iPhone.
I'm not sure Apple would throw the US holiday season for International markets, it seems that though the rest of the world is an overall greater base, Apple's primary concern will always be success in North America. New iPods > iPhone for Christmas.

darwen
Jun 18, 2007, 10:58 PM
But didn't he say something along the same lines when the iPhone was unveiled in January?

Yeah, to him the iPhone is an iPod. I didnt take what he said as you are taking it (to OP). This is what he has always been saying.