PDA

View Full Version : Buy an Apple display now, a competitor's, or wait?

utilizer
Jun 29, 2003, 11:47 AM
Excellent price on the 23 HD Apple display. I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and purchase this one as new ones might be introed. I'm not sure if a competitor's exists out there that has an Al-finish like the new G5s that's just as good as Apple's or if Apple is going to put one in the pipeline at less than $2,500.

Thanks in advance for the info

Veldek
Jun 29, 2003, 11:55 AM
Well, I don't know about the 20" and 23", but I thought of buying the 17". Looking at the specs of some other displays, I found out that the Apple displays are not the best technology at the moment, though they are still best looking. So you can get more for less, if you don't care about design. That's why I think Apple will come out with new displays soon.

P-Worm
Jun 29, 2003, 12:29 PM
The thing is, a display is a display. If they introduse new ones, it will be hard to convince me that I need the new on more than the old one. Sure you can bumb up the res and stuff, but you probably won't see that big of a speed bump. ;)

P-Worm

scem0
Jun 29, 2003, 12:40 PM
Don't get an apple display they are NOT the best looking, and they are certainly not the best priced. I got an 18.1" LCD for $400 - shipped. I saw it for $360 a couple days later :rolleyes: :o.... It is manufactured by Gateway. I'm very happy with this LCD. Great quality, great price. Formac offers great monitors. Here is a new one which I thought looked like it would match the G5 PERFECTLY:
http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=133

So, in short, there are much better, much cheaper LCDs on the market. Don't let apple cheat you from your money.

scem0

MorganX
Jun 29, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by utilizer
Excellent price on the 23 HD Apple display. I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and purchase this one as new ones might be introed. I'm not sure if a competitor's exists out there that has an Al-finish like the new G5s that's just as good as Apple's or if Apple is going to put one in the pipeline at less than $2,500.

Thanks in advance for the info

check out the sonys

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Here is a new one which I thought looked like it would match the G5 PERFECTLY:

scem0

Oooh... that's nice. I'd buy one of those if i had a G5, and I'd sell my Cinema Display.

mymemory
Jun 30, 2003, 01:06 PM
With the new G5 anything match, just because the G5 looks like a PC!!!

I do not trust Apple monitors, they are good, ok, but that is it! I rather have more for less. I had one 20" CTR Apple monitor once and it was a nightmare getting parts from it, I had a Sony 17" CTR too and it gave me no problem for almost 6 years!!!

Remember that Apple monitors can be sold only to Apple owners.

I rather have a flat screen non Apple monitor with s-video imput and stuff like that.

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 01:41 PM
well i have bene very pleased with my 20 apple lcd. if looks great, has a usb hub, nice bright display, widescreen, and was great at games. i hooked it up to my pc and games played excellent with no ghosting, and i was expecting to see some ghosting. you can get cheaper monitor, but they may not be digital. i would just recommend looking at apples and then go look at other monitors you are interested in. thats the best way than taking our word for it.

iJon

Foxer
Jun 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Don't get an apple display they are NOT the best looking, and they are certainly not the best priced. I got an 18.1" LCD for $400 - shipped. I saw it for $360 a couple days later :rolleyes: :o.... It is manufactured by Gateway. I'm very happy with this LCD. Great quality, great price. Formac offers great monitors. Here is a new one which I thought looked like it would match the G5 PERFECTLY:

Yes. These look very nice. The 24 inch is killer. Of course, it appears that they aren't for sale in U.S.

the future
Jun 30, 2003, 01:52 PM
I have the 20'' Cinema Display and it's just absolutely gorgeous. The technology inside is also newer than that inside the 23" model. I don't think you could get a better display than the 20" from Apple, but surely a cheaper one.

Also once you have a widescreen display, you won't be able to even imagine ever going back to a 4:3 ratio display. It just suddenly seems so wrong.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Formac display. The displays themselves are ok, actually, but their support is just horrible.

scem0
Jun 30, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
Yes. These look very nice. The 24 inch is killer. Of course, it appears that they aren't for sale in U.S.

I know..... is it just me or are they completely insane?

Why would they NOT sell in the US?

And it goes so well with the G5....

Such a pity :(.

Oh well, that Sony one looks awful nice ;).

scem0

kgforce
Jun 30, 2003, 04:16 PM
I'm faced with the same question -- buy something now or wait for new Apple monitors. I think my two CRTs are not long for this world and I want to get LCDs -- in part because my office gets so freakin' hot with multiple monitors, printers, computers, etc.

I really like the look of the eyegonomic monitors. They would really look great next to a G5. Maybe someone will start offering them for sale in the US. Of course, I don't know if the screens look as good as the design of the monitors.

Maybe Apple will announce something at the CreativePro conference in a few days?!