PDA

View Full Version : This is what I think the G5 should look like

teabgs
Jun 29, 2003, 12:01 PM
Lots of people are complaining about the front of the G5, and I happen to agree.

I think it's too plain, and the huge amount of space the grate takes up is ugly, and should be broken up.

this one simple change makes it look much better, and IMO really nice. It's not the best PS job, but you get the point.

voicegy
Jun 29, 2003, 12:41 PM
I agree with you. Of course, one could always slap the Apple sticker (if they still ship them with this model) on the front of it, but then, it would look, like, well...someone slapped a sticker on the front of it. :rolleyes:

It's almost as if the thing begs to be displayed SIDEWAYS, with, say, a clear cover over the guts showing off the shiney G5 stamp, or the regular cover with the Apple logo on it. Of course, it wouldn't find itself in that position often, if at all, and is basically impractical.

Funny how we angst over such things...but so does Steve, so we're not nuts, just "concerned". I wonder if it sucks air in from the front to back...from the video I've seen, that looks to be the case, otherwise one might think of putting streamers on the front and have them gently flap in the wind like an air conditioner in a seedy motel in a B-Grade movie.:p

Nice thought, teabgs. A simple, yet important element missing from an otherwise very serious, all-business look.

zarathustra
Jun 29, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
Lots of people are complaining about the front of the G5, and I happen to agree.

I think it's too plain, and the huge amount of space the grate takes up is ugly, and should be broken up.

this one simple change makes it look much better, and IMO really nice. It's not the best PS job, but you get the point.

To each it's own. How does putting an Apple logo on the front make it better? :rolleyes:

I am sorry but the point is missed on me, personally. I also don't like to put VW logos, useless embelishments and graphics on my GTI because it was designed well. The lines and shape are perfect to me, and the only things I have/might/will change are engine and audio components. Equivalent to HD upgrades. ;) Just to be nerdy...

gotohamish
Jun 29, 2003, 01:00 PM

Like it - nice work.:cool:

Sedulous
Jun 29, 2003, 01:22 PM
I think it looks pretty good too.

Unfortunately, there is probably a reason there are a lot of holes on the front. Adding the logo might have taken away too many holes (at the location you've added the logo, it would be sitting right in front of the vent holes for the memory/processor).

cubist
Jun 29, 2003, 01:49 PM
OK, so they could paint it on the grating so it wouldn't block air. Or they could use an 'open frame' version of the logo, perhaps chrome-plated.

beatle888
Jun 29, 2003, 02:11 PM
i think the front ports are what really make it look tacky, but hey, everybody HAD to have them :) anyway who cares, this thing sounds like it kicks butt. and i dont put my computers on display anyway so i could care less.

teabgs
Jun 29, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by cubist
OK, so they could paint it on the grating so it wouldn't block air. Or they could use an 'open frame' version of the logo, perhaps chrome-plated.

exactly....

Or use a slightly different color grate for the logo.

Originally posted by zarathustra
How does putting an Apple logo on the front make it better?

Here is why I think it should be there. The area is large and boring. It's just this big grate. It's like a long stretch of highway....you'll fall asleep at the wheel if not careful because it is so boring.

Having something there to break up the space makes it look much more exciting than it really is. If nothing else, it doesn't look as boring.

MacFan25
Jun 29, 2003, 02:54 PM
I think that the Apple logo would look good on there like that, but I think that it looks fine right now. The logo does add a little something to it, but I still like the simplicity of the way it is now.

daveg5
Jun 29, 2003, 03:10 PM

i like it but keep the holes in the logo for venting maybe smller or diff color/shade to bring it out.
i wonder if the aluminuym case can be paintrd
might look good in blue, black, ferrari red, white,, american flag or pther atr work or will the paint(could be sides only) interfere with ventillation.? if you could paint it i surly would or at least polish it to a high gloss finish

rainman::|:|
Jun 29, 2003, 03:16 PM
hey, wow, look at that. pretty ugly.

the design of the G5 is very appealing to a specific aesthetic following. they're going to remain true to that. that apple logo screws up the design, not to mention it's too close to the front ports, which detracts even more...

if you think it's *that* ugly, don't look at it. But i bet it'll be the only computer shown on italian contemporary furniture in showrooms and catalogs...

pnw

benixau
Jun 29, 2003, 07:31 PM
the logo could have been made using holes that were saaay 1/3 or 1/2 the size of the other holes.
This way you wouldn't really notice the logo till you stepped back a little from it and the airflow would not be impeded. Aslo the holes would be closer together and therefore so would the metal between them making it look like a soldi peice. This is the sort of thing i would expect coming from apple.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 29, 2003, 09:39 PM
Ha, nice teabgs - and I have to agree with you on this one - it would be nice.

I also think, given the lack of space in the G5 and its need to get to market fast (for obvious reasons) that this current design is only a very simple first run. I think that more options will be available in future models (somewhat the way that dual G4s weren't an option in the first round when they debuted as well).

Resurrecting this thread in a year and seeing what the changes are should be interesting.

D

tjwett
Jun 30, 2003, 10:47 AM

not liking it at all. no offense. the thing i love about the G5 is the fact that it's built from the inside out. meaning, there is nothing there that doesn't serve a purpose. it's the ultimate example of function dictating form, which makes it truly futuristic and very refined. it's all about efficiency, i like effiiciency. :)

p.s. perhaps those holes cannot afford to be blocked. heat, air flow, etc.

teabgs
Jun 30, 2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
not liking it at all. no offense. the thing i love about the G5 is the fact that it's built from the inside out. meaning, there is nothing there that doesn't serve a purpose. it's the ultimate example of function dictating form, which makes it truly futuristic and very refined. it's all about efficiency, i like effiiciency. :)

p.s. perhaps those holes cannot afford to be blocked. heat, air flow, etc.

to play devils advocate....Does the Apple logo need to be on the side?

I mean, what purpose does that have? What inside the box element dictates the necessity for a logo?

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by benixau
the logo could have been made using holes that were saaay 1/3 or 1/2 the size of the other holes.
This way you wouldn't really notice the logo till you stepped back a little from it and the airflow would not be impeded. Aslo the holes would be closer together and therefore so would the metal between them making it look like a soldi peice. This is the sort of thing i would expect coming from apple.

EXACTLY! There's a certain level of thoughtful design aesthetic that is sorely lacking in this machine. Aesthetics do not lie in direct opposition to functionality, as some people on these boards have suggested. Fine, the machine needs airflow- how can we design to accomodate that, AND make it an attractive piece? THAT is what award-winning designers are supposed to do. I can almost guarantee that Ive will at least attempt to prove his worthiness with the second revision.

tjwett
Jun 30, 2003, 11:09 AM
to play devils advocate....Does the Apple logo need to be on the side?

I mean, what purpose does that have? What inside the box element dictates the necessity for a logo?

nothing at all. everyone needs their identity though. i'm not totally against good looks, i hope it didn't come across that way. i think the two should go hand-in-hand. i think the G5 does this very well. i guess it's just a matter of opinion really, i think the G5 is awesome looking.

Das
Jun 30, 2003, 11:21 AM
I'd rather it just convert the airflow of the fans into a soothing synthesizer that says aaaaaaaaapppppppllllllleeeeeeeee all creepy like. Kinda like the Simpson's snore converter. It's already got plenty of speed holes.

Anyhoo, am I the only one who thinks the new g5's look like a Dell server? (http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics/segtopic_servers_pedge_towermain.htm)

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Das
I'd rather it just convert the airflow of the fans into a soothing synthesizer that says aaaaaaaaapppppppllllllleeeeeeeee all creepy like. Kinda like the Simpson's snore converter. It's already got plenty of speed holes.

Anyhoo, am I the only one who thinks the new g5's look like a Dell server? (http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics/segtopic_servers_pedge_towermain.htm)

It's a phillipe starck cheese grater....

whatever it is, it ain't purty...

ZildjianKX
Jun 30, 2003, 01:04 PM
This is how I think it should have looked:

http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/ledzeppelin/g_5.jpg

Foxer
Jun 30, 2003, 01:38 PM
nah. I like the way it looks.

gopher
Jun 30, 2003, 02:32 PM
I say put two shelves of drives in the top of the tower. You can then fit four hard drives, and 2 optical drives. Make the hard drives run the width of the tower while the optical drives run the length in front.

Pete_Hoover
Jun 30, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
This is how I think it should have looked:

http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/ledzeppelin/g_5.jpg

I do wish that the G5 would have two optical drives. O well. You can't have everything. Maybe in revision b.

Pete_Hoover
Jun 30, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Das

No. I think it looks like a Dell server also. Kind of scary.

scem0
Jun 30, 2003, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm........ that does look better...

But it still doesn't make it look near as good as the G4's.

I think there were some very good ideas over at spymac.com which I wish apple would have used.

scem0

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Hmmmm........ that does look better...

But it still doesn't make it look near as good as the G4's.

I think there were some very good ideas over at spymac.com which I wish apple would have used.

scem0

yeah. this was my personal favorite from the spymac galleries. it's certainly slicker than the cheese grater.

BTW I didn't do this design.

ouketii
Jun 30, 2003, 08:48 PM
nice pic, looks like you gutted your toaster and crammed in a cube.

jbomber
Jun 30, 2003, 10:42 PM
toaster or not, i'd definitely rather have something that looked like this sitting on my desktop.

donigian
Jun 30, 2003, 11:04 PM
I think the case needs more ornamentation; think B&W G3 logo. There needs to be a large G5 that blends in with the background if you aren't thinking about it. And it needs to have two (or more) optical bays. I also liked the 4 internal bays of the MDDs.

daveg5
Jul 1, 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Pete_Hoover
I do wish that the G5 would have two optical drives. O well. You can't have everything. Maybe in revision b.
nice job

tjwett
Jul 1, 2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by jbomber
yeah. this was my personal favorite from the spymac galleries. it's certainly slicker than the cheese grater.

i don't know. this type of design seems to be a little out of date to me. i think the whole translucent plastic and colored lights for now reason thing are way over. this is what the PC cases are starting to look like now. as Apple users we've been there, done that, moved on.

tazo
Jul 1, 2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by jbomber

that is really cool and I think that would have been a better design then the obtuse G5.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 1, 2003, 04:56 AM
I think the front ports should be at the foot of the computer - nobody likes cables dangling down looking messy.

Bad look for Apple - a company I thought took PRIDE in the appearance of their units. The SIDE certainly looks nice, though...

The Spymac picture really looks good - reminds me of my Cube. THAT design wasn't bad - if I'm not mistaken, didn't THAT win a design award?!?

:confused:

The new design reminds me of a Volvo

"...They're BOXY, but they're good..."

;)

Bengt77
Jul 1, 2003, 07:23 AM
Why do I think so?

Because I think a whole lot of people won't see that it's a computer, let alone a Macintosh. Is that a good thing, you might ask? Yes, that is a very good thing. In my humble opinion, that is. I think it's a good thing, becaue people will see the screaming performance, but won't see a computer and (hopefully) won't hear one too (or at best very faintly).

That, I think, would be a very good thing. Then, when they go and ask "Where's the computer? Or is it an iMac and is the screen the computer?" you can show the baby (or should I say the beast) off. Show the sides, show the sheer simplicity of the design and the striking beauty. Because, yes I think, it's very, very beautiful as it is right now. Although I agree with many here that the G5 should have had two drive bays in the front.

But, after all, that's just my humble opin, er, two (euro)cents.

Wardofsky
Jul 1, 2003, 08:44 AM
Well, if you look at every other recent tower Apple has made you can see that none of them have but an Apple logo (of that size) on the front.

I think that they are just trying to stay with the traditional(ish) style of the recent towers.

Of course, making themselves heard, Apple logo for further advertising.

Well, one could say that the ones on the side were enough, but one could also say that was not enough.

Well, it's done now and Apple isn't likely to make a design change soon after releasing it are they?

Heltik
Jul 1, 2003, 09:27 AM
I love the new look, except maybe a small Apple logo recessed into the drive bay at the top would look nice. Dead central.

Also, I don't see the point of the ports on the front... I'd much rather they were on the monitor - with additional on the keyboard for regular access. But I know that it's something that users have requested, and I think that the ports are in the correct place if they have to be on the front - so Apple did the right thing there. And, if you consider the internal design of the machine, the ports had to be at that level (vertical displacement), due to the PSU cooling, and horizontal would have looked wrong if raised from the base.

In response to the 'smaller holes for an apple logo' on the front, I think this may have looked messy - and would it not have increased the manufacturing costs by a great amount? Right now, surely, they can just cut front sections from a rolled sheet??

The design at the top of the page looks okay, but holes on the top... asking for trouble in my opinion.

Yeah, I certainly think that with the new G5 form follows function perfectly. Wonderful. And the only G4 that looked nice was the Quicksilver. The original one looked like Lego at the front, and the mirrored drive doors were ugly- and those vents at the bottom?? Ugh.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, I think that the new G5 is going to look fantastic in CTU for the next series of 24. Try claiming you don't have the processor power on-site now, technogeek!! :D

Nice.