PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 2400 w. G3 upgrade - should I buy it or not?

vollspacken
Jun 29, 2003, 01:46 PM
hi guys,

like the title of the thread says: I could buy a nice and small Powerbook 2400 with a G3 240 upgrade, 80MB ram and a PCcard update... it even has a huge HD (20GB or so...)... oh, infrared too!

I just don't know. I really like the portability of the machine (no floppy, no cd) and the OldSkool factor, but is it really a good choice???

my main machine is a OsX-only 1Ghz tiBook so I would use the 2400 only for os9 word processing in places were I don't want to risk my expensive baby and for old pre-OsX games like Pirates! Gold, Lucasarts SCUMM-adventures and so on... maybe a little iTunes.

can anyone recommend this machine, and if so, at what price (not the japanese price, remember, I'm in Europe...)

how much would a 500mhz first generation iceBook be, 'cause that would probably be the alternative...

any thoughts, suggestions, anything would be very nice.

vSpacken

Ugg
Jun 29, 2003, 05:52 PM
I had a 2400 and it was a good little computer, however, battery life was not good, maybe at best about 1.5-2 hours. Resolution was ok, I liked how the case looked, and really liked the little flip down tilt-feet. The LCD went bad on me and although it was only $120 to replace, the second one only lasted about 6 months. They weren't the best product that Apple ever made, but then you'll be buying it with a G3 installed so my experience may not resemble yours. Personally, I would go for an iBook. Larger screen, better resolution, longer battery life.

gopher
Jun 29, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by vollspacken
hi guys,

like the title of the thread says: I could buy a nice and small Powerbook 2400 with a G3 240 upgrade, 80MB ram and a PCcard update... it even has a huge HD (20GB or so...)... oh, infrared too!

I just don't know. I really like the portability of the machine (no floppy, no cd) and the OldSkool factor, but is it really a good choice???

my main machine is a OsX-only 1Ghz tiBook so I would use the 2400 only for os9 word processing in places were I don't want to risk my expensive baby and for old pre-OsX games like Pirates! Gold, Lucasarts SCUMM-adventures and so on... maybe a little iTunes.

can anyone recommend this machine, and if so, at what price (not the japanese price, remember, I'm in Europe...)

how much would a 500mhz first generation iceBook be, 'cause that would probably be the alternative...

any thoughts, suggestions, anything would be very nice.

vSpacken

First generation icebook as low as $700. See http://www.macmaps.com/usedrefurbished.html

f-matic
Jun 29, 2003, 07:38 PM
if you don't buy it, let me know where you're getting the g3 upgraded one from! i have one 2400c and it rocks - so small, PCMCIA capability (mine was apparently upgraded to cardbus since firewire works) plus it looks way cooler than the ibook. wouldn't mind picking up another at the right price...

best,
np