PDA

View Full Version : 4GB Nano...1000 songs?

Nick9597
May 31, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ok, there may be no fix to this but maybe some guidence....

I just bought a 4gb nano. Started putting songs on it from my itunes and before I knew it...the ipod was full! With only 150 songs no less! So I started going through the songs and some of them were like 50mb a piece! These songs were mostly from CD's. Most of the other songs were between 3-5mb (which I got from filesharing) which I know is normal. I guess what I'm asking is 1. Why are those songs soooo huge? 2. Is there any way of converting such big songs to a smaller size? 3. Is there anything I can do?

I think you know what I' trying to say. Any help would be wonderful!! :) :apple:

zioxide
May 31, 2007, 06:43 PM
What codecs did you use? 50MB leads me to believe that they are in ALAC.

mkrishnan
May 31, 2007, 06:44 PM
Select a "big" song and hit Apple-I -- tell us what the CODEC is. Unless those are very long tracks, it sounds like those might be lossless codec.

Nick9597
May 31, 2007, 06:46 PM
I really appreciate the quick response...however..I'm not sure what you guys are talking about...CODEC?? ALAC??

:) :apple:

Select a "big" song and hit Apple-I -- tell us what the CODEC is. Unless those are very long tracks, it sounds like those might be lossless codec.

mkrishnan
May 31, 2007, 06:48 PM
Do what I said -- select a song that's large -- 50 MB or whatever -- and hit Apple-I. Up will pop a window. Choose the Summary tab if it's not already chosen. List what is written under "kind" and "bit rate."

Nick9597
May 31, 2007, 06:48 PM
What codecs did you use? 50MB leads me to believe that they are in ALAC.

They look like AIFF files..which I have no idea what that means. 1411 kbps.

zioxide
May 31, 2007, 06:52 PM
AIFF is uncompressed audio (CD quality). What you'll want to do is compress them to AAC.

To do this:

1. Go into iTunes Preferences
2. Click on Advanced, then Importing
3. Under "Import Using", select AAC Encoder
4. For Setting, go to Custom, then enter these settings
Stereo Bitrate: 256kbps
Sample Rate: Auto
Channels: Auto
Check Use Variable Bitrate Encoding
Uncheck Optimize for voice, then hit OK, and close preferences

Now right click the AIFF files in iTunes and click Convert Selection to AAC. Once the conversion is done, delete the AIFFs

theBB
May 31, 2007, 06:53 PM
I really appreciate the quick response...however..I'm not sure what you guys are talking about...CODEC?? ALAC??

:) :apple:
They mean what "Get Info" reports as "Kind" or "Format". "ALAC" means Apple Lossless.

mkrishnan
May 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
That means they are uncompressed audio. If you want, you can do the following. NOTE: I'm guiding you to use the same settings Apple has traditionally used for their songs (aside from the DRM-free EMI). You may get advice to use a higher bitrate; that's your choice. A higher bitrate may sound better to you, although there is disagreement about most individual's ability to reliably detect the differences between higher bit rates. If you want to do that, select the appropriate option at the step marked ***

1. Select iTunes Menu -> Preferences.
2. Select Advanced pane.
3. Select Importing Tab
4. Select Import Using AAC Encoder
5. Select Setting: High Quality (128kbps) ***
6. Hit OK to close the window.
7. Now select the song in your iTunes library
8. Select Advanced menu -> Convert Selection to AAC -- this will create a new copy of the song in AAC, which should be 2-5 megabytes per song. After this is done, you can delete the original copy if you want. Use the info window (Apple-I) if you have trouble keeping track of which is which, or right click on the bar with the headings in the song window (name, track #, etc) and enable Kind to see which is which -- delete the AIFF copy and not the AAC copy.

Note: your settings in 5-6 may already match the ones I'm asking you to put in.

(slow typer! ;) )

Nick9597
May 31, 2007, 06:58 PM
AIFF is uncompressed audio (CD quality). What you'll want to do is compress them to AAC.

To do this:

1. Go into iTunes Preferences
2. Click on Advanced, then Importing
3. Under "Import Using", select AAC Encoder
4. For Setting, go to Custom, then enter these settings
Stereo Bitrate: 256kbps
Sample Rate: Auto
Channels: Auto
Check Use Variable Bitrate Encoding
Uncheck Optimize for voice, then hit OK, and close preferences

Now right click the AIFF files in iTunes and click Convert Selection to AAC. Once the conversion is done, delete the AIFFs

Cool, thanks man. I did everything you said and it all worked except I'm not sure about the last part about converting. I right clicked and I could not fing the option for "Convert Selection to AAC".......

Nope...I've got it now!! :):):)

Nick9597
May 31, 2007, 07:07 PM
That means they are uncompressed audio. If you want, you can do the following. NOTE: I'm guiding you to use the same settings Apple has traditionally used for their songs (aside from the DRM-free EMI). You may get advice to use a higher bitrate; that's your choice. A higher bitrate may sound better to you, although there is disagreement about most individual's ability to reliably detect the differences between higher bit rates. If you want to do that, select the appropriate option at the step marked ***

1. Select iTunes Menu -> Preferences.
2. Select Advanced pane.
3. Select Importing Tab
4. Select Import Using AAC Encoder
5. Select Setting: High Quality (128kbps) ***
6. Hit OK to close the window.
7. Now select the song in your iTunes library
8. Select Advanced menu -> Convert Selection to AAC -- this will create a new copy of the song in AAC, which should be 2-5 megabytes per song. After this is done, you can delete the original copy if you want. Use the info window (Apple-I) if you have trouble keeping track of which is which, or right click on the bar with the headings in the song window (name, track #, etc) and enable Kind to see which is which -- delete the AIFF copy and not the AAC copy.

Note: your settings in 5-6 may already match the ones I'm asking you to put in.

(slow typer! ;) )

Hey, thanks man. I appriciate the help! :):apple:

mkrishnan
Jun 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
Any success?