PDA

View Full Version : Dell cuts 8,000 jobs

hana
May 31, 2007, 10:22 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/31/technology/dell_earnings/index.htm?cnn=yes

Foxglove9
May 31, 2007, 10:39 PM
Though kinda off topic, in the mall I work in they opened an Apple store, then almost immediately after a Dell kiosk opened up as well. And as you can guess, a little over a year later the Dell kiosk was a goner.

Hate to see people lose their jobs. But has Apple cut their workforce in the last couple of years?

kalisphoenix
May 31, 2007, 10:43 PM
"We're doing great! And by we, I mean the top five tiers of this corporation; we're making more money than ever and our stock handily beat analyst forecasts. 10% of the rest of you are screwed!"

*adds Michael Dell to the list of people he wants to brick to death*

Bobdude161
Jun 1, 2007, 01:18 AM
Wow offering sales of their computers at Wal-Mart? They MUST be getting desperate!!! Who goes shopping for a computer at Wal-Mart???

"Hey honey I'm going to get some bread over here, can you go to the electronics department to pick up a computer?"

Nermal
Jun 1, 2007, 01:20 AM
They've been doing that here for a few years now. Quite a few people buy them.

NB: Dell have never been #1 here and are therefore probably more likely to experiment.

TheAnswer
Jun 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
Hmmm...looks like Dell is in trouble. If I were Michael Dell, I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

SkyBell
Jun 1, 2007, 02:39 AM
Wow offering sales of their computers at Wal-Mart? They MUST be getting desperate!!! Who goes shopping for a computer at Wal-Mart???

"Hey honey I'm going to get some bread over here, can you go to the electronics department to pick up a computer?"

Haha...my parents buy computers there all the time ($379 eMachines:cool: )

andiwm2003
Jun 1, 2007, 08:38 AM

why not? i mean aside of not buying from wal mart at all there is no reason why i wouldn't buy a tv or a mac mini or a sony vaio at walmart (or a similar store like Target or Costco). if the price is o.k. there is no problem. and you don't get much help or service from stores these days anyway.

paddy
Jun 1, 2007, 09:27 AM
Ya sucks for Limerick in Ireland too, the county is heavily dependent on Dells 4,500 jobs, of which it's set to ax 450.

liketom
Jun 1, 2007, 09:33 AM
Ya sucks for Limerick in Ireland too, the county is heavily dependent on Dells 4,500 jobs, of which it's set to ax 450.

maybe they should look for work at Apple :rolleyes:

but saying that job losses are bad and if that was me then i'd be really stuffed ( Liketom Hugs his Work HP PC and pray's for more System crashes to keep me in a job)

gkarris
Jun 1, 2007, 10:48 AM
Dell - what a joke

I just posted this over at the dell hate site:

http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/great-job-dell-v2-0-t6726.html

I actually hate being seen in public with my work computer which is a Dell laptop.

I can't wait to get a MacBook so I can combine all the stuff on my iBook G4 and my el-cheapo HP laptop (which works better than any Dell I've used) into one computer and show the Wintel/Dell fanboys off...

maestro55
Jun 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
I am taking a guess here to say that these will be sales jobs, while I don't condone them getting rid of 8,000 people and I feel sorry for all those who will be losing their jobs along with their families being put into bad situations. I know how terrible it is, my dad lost his job in December of 2005 after 21 years as a director of technology designing networks in many Central Texas school districts. However, I could see how them deciding to sell the machines in Wal-Mart could take away the need for the call center jobs.

I actually dislike Wal-Mart for the most part and even more so now that I have worked there for nearly a year. I will be so happy in 10 months when I graduate and can get a real job.

island
Jun 2, 2007, 01:14 AM
I always liked Dell but things are going down hill lately.

biturbomunkie
Jun 2, 2007, 01:45 AM
What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

karma is a bich.

A Pittarelli
Jun 2, 2007, 02:04 AM
how many nails are left? :)

elppa
Jun 2, 2007, 04:33 AM
I'd just wind up the company and give any the money back to the shareholders.

AlBDamned
Jun 2, 2007, 06:47 AM
I actually hate being seen in public with my work computer which is a Dell laptop.

I can't wait to get a MacBook so I can combine all the stuff on my iBook G4 and my el-cheapo HP laptop (which works better than any Dell I've used) into one computer and show the Wintel/Dell fanboys off...

Obvious as it seems Dell has a real image problem these days and it's being seriously hurt by the fact that its competitors are actually innovating, producing decent products and trying to improve. Dell's strategy of stack 'em high in a warehouse and flog them direct is not working (hence Wal-Mart). I can't remember the last time a Dell product stood out from the crowd (maybe the odd monitor). Its recent folds to Linux and supplying Windows XP are admirable but not long term money raising ideas.

Dell might be able to maintain a foundation in core business markets, but unless it really picks up its game with products these job cuts are just the tip of the iceberg.