PDA

View Full Version : Integrated iSight?

pretentious
Jun 30, 2003, 12:08 AM
With Apple's new iChat A/V and iSight, do you think that Apple will go on and fully integrate cameras into their hardware?

Like in the new Cinema Displays that have been long rumored, can we expect to have FW cameras built right into them? ...or whenever it should be revised, do you expect the iMac to have a camera?

mnkeybsness
Jun 30, 2003, 12:14 AM
this is highly doubtful, as apple would have to develop a new proprietary port for the displays to have a firewire controller on them. also this is unlikely because the displays are targetted at the prosumer level. it's more logical to guess that apple may think of including an isight camera built into the emac and imac.

Wardofsky
Jun 30, 2003, 12:38 AM
Well, after iSight came out there doesn't seem a reason to put a camera built-in to a monitor any time after.

iSight is good because it is portable and can be used on multiple Macs.

Kwyjibo
Jun 30, 2003, 12:42 AM
its also moveable and adjustable...i have mine watch my door when i leave hehe

tazo
Jun 30, 2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by pretentious
With Apple's new iChat A/V and iSight, do you think that Apple will go on and fully integrate cameras into their hardware?

Like in the new Cinema Displays that have been long rumored, can we expect to have FW cameras built right into them? ...or whenever it should be revised, do you expect the iMac to have a camera?

I cannot imagine anything cooler then an already awesome 12'' pb then a 12''pb with integrated camera :P

cb911
Jun 30, 2003, 01:06 AM
i think it would be really good if the iSight were integrated with the PowerBooks and maybe iBooks. i've seen a VAIO (not sure whether it was a prototype or anything) that had a built in camera, but it was big and ugly. made the VAIO look too bulky. but if Apple could do it that would be really cool. no doubt theirs would look amazing.

perhaps when the PowerBooks move to OLED displays in a couple of years there will be alot more space in the screens to put a camera in there. :D

benixau
Jun 30, 2003, 02:52 AM
the isight get pretty hot in operation. also look at the barrel length. apple would have 1/4 the resolution to do it. they will eventually, just not his year or the next.

Bear
Jun 30, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by cb911
i think it would be really good if the iSight were integrated with the PowerBooks and maybe iBooks. i've seen a VAIO (not sure whether it was a prototype or anything) that had a built in camera, but it was big and ugly. made the VAIO look too bulky. but if Apple could do it that would be really cool. no doubt theirs would look amazing.
The problem with a built in camera on a laptop, PDA, or cell phone is that a lot of companies prohibit cameras on company premises without special permission.

This would prevent (among otther categories of people) sales people and service people from being able to but this equipment. Do you want Apple to lose sales due to built-in cameras?

Arnel
Jun 30, 2003, 01:21 PM
I doubt they'd build them into the screens themselves - why go to the bother of making the iSight a seperate product which they'd only make obsolete themselves?

I'm wondering, though, if future screens from apple will have some kind of built-in mounting assembly for an iSight camera? Or even a way of tidying away the cable rather than have it dangle from the top of the screen (i.e. a socket by the mounting point, for a short cable to connect the camera, with the signal passing through to a socket next to the main video cable into which you plug the firewire cable)

Hmmm, then again, maybe not ;-)

Neil.
a.k.a. Arnel

dongmin
Jun 30, 2003, 01:41 PM
hey can we start the video iPod rumors again?

"Introducing... the iPod AV"

Tack on the iSight on top of the iPod, give it a color OLED screen and some extra hardware oomph to do the MP4 compression, and voila, you have the video iPod. And if you add Airport to it, you have a mobile TV-phone you can take anywhere with a wireless network.

Le Big Mac
Jun 30, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Arnel

I'm wondering, though, if future screens from apple will have some kind of built-in mounting assembly for an iSight camera? Or even a way of tidying away the cable rather than have it dangle from the top of the screen (i.e. a socket by the mounting point, for a short cable to connect the camera, with the signal passing through to a socket next to the main video cable into which you plug the firewire cable)

That seems more likely. A little post hole on the top for a post-mounted bracket--pops in and out easily. Maybe even a firewire port right there.