PDA

View Full Version : [360] Plugged in directly to wall or through a surge protector?

Haoshiro
Jun 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
So I thought my 360 was starting to die. Wireless controllers wouldn't sync to the system, and the HD-DVD drive wouldn't work when plugged into the back USB port.

Calling MS, I had disconnected everything to get the serial number. After describing the issues, she had me do some testing, then asked if I was plugging this directly to a wall socket or using a surge protector.

I was definitely using a surge protector, and her explanation made sense why this can be a problem. The 360 power brick has surge protection built in, and connecting it to a power strip or protector can cause power fluctations (as the strip routes power to multiple devices).

Everything works fine now, and I was certainly releived.

So what does everyone else have their 360 connected to? Wall, Strip, or Protector?

wwooden
Jun 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
I have heard of this before, especially with people who have many energy demanding devices in one power-strip (XBox 360, large HDTV, PS3, home stereo receiver). That is a lot of power for one outlet. I've seen a few times at peoples houses where they plug power-strips into power-strips! I always think that is a bad idea, I mean, there are only so many electrons that can move through a given wire at a time.

In my house, I have a 42" plasma, my 360, the cable HD DVR box and a Wii connected to one power-strip, haven't had any problems yet. I have a surround sound receiver but I am still in the process of hooking everyone because I just moved. When I do hook it up, I will use a second power-strip just to be on the safe side.

LastLine
Jun 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
First I've heard of it having built in surge protection.

Regardless - I'd trust MS' surge protection as much as I trust MS Vista ;-)

Haoshiro
Jun 1, 2007, 12:32 PM
Well, I doubt the protection is anyworse then the standard $15-30 protectors you buy at the normal retailers.

Thinking on the subject further, underpowering the 360 could be bad on the hardware overall; so from here on out I'm giving it direct power.

Perhaps a solo protector or UPS just for it, but the potential to under power the device is enough for me to avoid sticking it on a protector with other devices at all... especially since the bugger is a power hog.

zelmo
Jun 2, 2007, 03:53 PM
I have two power outlets in opposing corners of the niche where my a/v set-up is.
My 47" RP HDTV, 5.1 receiver, cable box, and DVD-Recorder are in one surge protector plugged into one outlet. Then I have a Joytech system selector, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, Xbox, and wifi adapter plugged into a surge protector in the other outlet. Never had issues, but I rarely have more than the system selector, wifi adapter and two game consoles turned on at the same time [PS3 is always on, either being played or Folding 24/7].

The Joytech system selector is nifty for $80 or so - connects up to seven systems, four of which support component [no HDMI on my TV:(], toslink and can share the wifi adapter, so I don't have all those cables fighting over the plugs in the back of my 'early adopter wish I'd waited for 1080p HDMI-equipped LCD TV's to drop in price' ghetto TV.:p

sam10685
Jun 2, 2007, 11:37 PM
First I've heard of it having built in surge protection.

Regardless - I'd trust MS' surge protection as much as I trust MS Vista ;-)

I'd trust an xbox 360 to entertain me as much as I'd trust the original Wright Brothers plane to get me across the atlantic. (Nothing against The Wright Bro's.)