Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your 360 plugged into?

• Directly into a wall socket

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Power Strip

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Surge Protector

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
So I thought my 360 was starting to die. Wireless controllers wouldn't sync to the system, and the HD-DVD drive wouldn't work when plugged into the back USB port.

Calling MS, I had disconnected everything to get the serial number. After describing the issues, she had me do some testing, then asked if I was plugging this directly to a wall socket or using a surge protector.

I was definitely using a surge protector, and her explanation made sense why this can be a problem. The 360 power brick has surge protection built in, and connecting it to a power strip or protector can cause power fluctations (as the strip routes power to multiple devices).

Everything works fine now, and I was certainly releived.

So what does everyone else have their 360 connected to? Wall, Strip, or Protector?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have heard of this before, especially with people who have many energy demanding devices in one power-strip (XBox 360, large HDTV, PS3, home stereo receiver). That is a lot of power for one outlet. I've seen a few times at peoples houses where they plug power-strips into power-strips! I always think that is a bad idea, I mean, there are only so many electrons that can move through a given wire at a time.

In my house, I have a 42" plasma, my 360, the cable HD DVR box and a Wii connected to one power-strip, haven't had any problems yet. I have a surround sound receiver but I am still in the process of hooking everyone because I just moved. When I do hook it up, I will use a second power-strip just to be on the safe side.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
First I've heard of it having built in surge protection.

Regardless - I'd trust MS' surge protection as much as I trust MS Vista ;-)

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Well, I doubt the protection is anyworse then the standard $15-30 protectors you buy at the normal retailers.

Thinking on the subject further, underpowering the 360 could be bad on the hardware overall; so from here on out I'm giving it direct power.

Perhaps a solo protector or UPS just for it, but the potential to under power the device is enough for me to avoid sticking it on a protector with other devices at all... especially since the bugger is a power hog.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I have two power outlets in opposing corners of the niche where my a/v set-up is.
My 47" RP HDTV, 5.1 receiver, cable box, and DVD-Recorder are in one surge protector plugged into one outlet. Then I have a Joytech system selector, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, Xbox, and wifi adapter plugged into a surge protector in the other outlet. Never had issues, but I rarely have more than the system selector, wifi adapter and two game consoles turned on at the same time [PS3 is always on, either being played or Folding 24/7].

The Joytech system selector is nifty for $80 or so - connects up to seven systems, four of which support component [no HDMI on my TV:(], toslink and can share the wifi adapter, so I don't have all those cables fighting over the plugs in the back of my 'early adopter wish I'd waited for 1080p HDMI-equipped LCD TV's to drop in price' ghetto TV.:p

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
First I've heard of it having built in surge protection.

Regardless - I'd trust MS' surge protection as much as I trust MS Vista ;-)

I'd trust an xbox 360 to entertain me as much as I'd trust the original Wright Brothers plane to get me across the atlantic. (Nothing against The Wright Bro's.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.