PDA

View Full Version : powerbook trackpads

ddohnggo
Jun 30, 2003, 06:44 AM
how sturdy are the trackpads? do they tend lose effectiveness after a year?

pEZ
Jun 30, 2003, 11:16 AM
In my limited experience with PowerBooks, I have never had a trackpad go bad on me - and this is over the course of many years. I have an old Wallstreet PB that still has an excellent trackpad. Don't use it anymore, because I can't install OS X without an extra HD, and I'd rather just save for a new PB in the future.

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 11:33 AM
ive never had problems with a trackpad ever. and ive used the trackpad for probably every mac and they all seem the same.

iJon

WinterMute
Jun 30, 2003, 11:46 AM
They get very shiney after a while, but they dont wear out in any way, although they do get a bit grimy after a long session, keep em clean...

dxp4acu
Jun 30, 2003, 12:06 PM
I've had a Wallstreet for over 4 years now, and the trackpad is still awesome! I recently got a 12" pb, and when I used the old one again, the trackpad was amazing... Not that the new one is bad, it just felt so good to use, even after 4 years!

patrick0brien
Jun 30, 2003, 12:09 PM
-ddohnggo

I agree with the gents above. Trackpads are very durable, they have no moving parts - that's why many computer manufacturers offer trackpads.

The only gotchas are in keeping them clean and dry. They operate by projecting a 2-dimentional electromagnetic grid just above the surface that works by detecting the impedance by an organic substance upon that field, e.g. your finger.

However, finger oils, water, and other organics cause impedance as well, so please be sure to keep it clean. I've heard and seen trackpads of a slew of manufacturers "go bad", but that was a result of an organic varnish that built up on the pad over years of non-cleaning (eww!).

Just keep it clean and it should outlast your first-born :D

ddohnggo
Jun 30, 2003, 02:21 PM
sweet, thanks for the replies. what's the best way to clean the trackpad? i know for sure i won't be putting any water on/near my powerbook...

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 02:24 PM
i would just spray a paper towel with some windex and just wipe it down.

iJon

Marble
Jun 30, 2003, 03:12 PM
A cleaning solvent, or rubbing alcohol, that doesn't leave residue when you are finished cleaning.

eyelikeart
Jun 30, 2003, 04:05 PM
Unless u are using a sandpaper tipped glove, I'd say u shouldn't have a problem. I've never heard of anyone with a failed trackpad from being rubbed to death. I've yet to have a contact problem with either of the TiBooks I've owned, but I also use a mouse/tablet more often than the pad. ;)