Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
So I'm sitting in my class this morning trying not to pass out and my professor was complaining that she had a hard time trying to get her work done on her computer. I heard some computer talk and woke up to her saying about how the windopw wouldnt close and then it froze and then crashed, etc.

*actual conversation*
So I jump in with "Is it a Dell?"

Prof: "yes. How did you know?"

Me: "Cause Dell's are the biggest piece of sh*t computers ever. It just made sense. (She and the rest of the class staring at me in bewilderment) You should have gotten a Mac."

Prof: "I used to have a mac, but I don't know much about computers and my brother said Dells were good."

I now explain why macs are better and how bad Dell's are. Not PC's in general but just how badly Dells are put together. After long rant about Mac superiority a little discussion arises where she admits that she liked the mac better and that it was easier. Others agreed that Macs were better/easier. Even people who use both. I actually said "Everything is easier on a mac." :p

At the end of this long conversation/discussion she decided to use the dell for a year since she paid aa lot for it and I STRONGLY advised her to just throw it out and get an iMac. She's going back to mac after about a year with this piece of crap. I don't think she'll make this mistake again.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
it wasn't abrasive. didn't you read that the teacher liked Macs better. He is just getting his point out anyway.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
s/he stopped class to badmouth dell. its like a telemarketer entered the room.

it sounds exactly what a "peecee" user would do if the person's mac crashed and they like non-mac personal computers

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
A quick Dell joke

We all know how much Dell likes to copy Apple: the "Digital Hub" vs. the "Digital Lifestyle"; the fruit-colored iMacs vs. the tacky Inspirons or Optiplexes; wireless Airport vs. the "new" wireless connection Dell is trying to peddle. Pure copycat.

Well, when stories of the Inspiron laptops' propensity to catch on fire surfaced, many Macusers couldn't help but wonder: "Man, we all know how much Dell likes to copy Apple, but did it really have to go all the way by copying the old Powerbook 5300?!?!?"

If the joke's not funny, blame the friend who told me. :D

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Choppaface
s/he stopped class to badmouth dell. its like a telemarketer entered the room.

it sounds exactly what a "peecee" user would do if the person's mac crashed and they like non-mac personal computers

It wasnt like it was a big lecture. It was a recitation with 10 people in it at a table. Also, we don't do very much except talk about movies and our own stories (It's a screenwriting class). We're encouraged to speak our mind at our school even if it's off topic. Maybe it's weird, I don't know, but I don't think anything of it and people do it all the time. Thats the way it is in film school.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I must beg to differ about Dell Quality
We have used Dell for our office-workstatioins and laptops and have been very pleased with their quality. I have done almost everything imaginable to the workstations - adding cards, changing ram, drives, etc - I find them well built and with good support.
We *are* converting over to macs - but not b/c of anything wrong with Dell

Oh, and you can't and neither can apple, beat Next Day On Site Repair.
Period. I would LOVE that level of support from Apple.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Re: Funny story about Dell

Originally posted by teabgs
So I'm sitting in my class this morning trying not to pass out and my professor was complaining that she had a hard time trying to get her work done on her computer. I heard some computer talk and woke up to her saying about how the windopw wouldnt close and then it froze and then crashed, etc.

*actual conversation*
So I jump in with "Is it a Dell?"

Prof: "yes. How did you know?"

Me: "Cause Dell's are the biggest piece of sh*t computers ever. It just made sense. (She and the rest of the class staring at me in bewilderment) You should have gotten a Mac."

Prof: "I used to have a mac, but I don't know much about computers and my brother said Dells were good."

I now explain why macs are better and how bad Dell's are. Not PC's in general but just how badly Dells are put together. After long rant about Mac superiority a little discussion arises where she admits that she liked the mac better and that it was easier. Others agreed that Macs were better/easier. Even people who use both. I actually said "Everything is easier on a mac." :p

At the end of this long conversation/discussion she decided to use the dell for a year since she paid aa lot for it and I STRONGLY advised her to just throw it out and get an iMac. She's going back to mac after about a year with this piece of crap. I don't think she'll make this mistake again.

so are you that closed minded and shallow about everything, or are we just talking macs and pc's? :rolleyes:

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Re: Funny story about Dell

Originally posted by Jookbox

so are you that closed minded and shallow about everything, or are we just talking macs and pc's? :rolleyes:

We have a bunch of Macs and Dells at my work. We never have problems with the g4's but constanmtly have to fix the Dells. We've even had Dell repair peopel come and not be able to do anything to these machines.

So I don't ONLY use macs, though I like to. I have seen so much go wrong with them. Anyway, I don't see how me trying to explain to people how macs are better is being close minded or shallow.

Are you trying to convince me that Dells are better? I really don't think that you are in any position to judge anybody, not just me, by a single post. Maybe the shallow one is you. I don't judge people unless I get to know them well. Maybe you should try that.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Funny story about Dell

Originally posted by teabgs

We have a bunch of Macs and Dells at my work. We never have problems with the g4's but constanmtly have to fix the Dells. We've even had Dell repair peopel come and not be able to do anything to these machines.

So I don't ONLY use macs, though I like to. I have seen so much go wrong with them. Anyway, I don't see how me trying to explain to people how macs are better is being close minded or shallow.

Are you trying to convince me that Dells are better? I really don't think that you are in any position to judge anybody, not just me, by a single post. Maybe the shallow one is you. I don't judge people unless I get to know them well. Maybe you should try that.

lol, i pissed off another psycho mac fanatic. first of all, i don't compare apples to oranges (no pun intended). let's see you run 3ds or macromedia homesite on that mac of yours. my pc does certain things and my mac does other things. anyway, getting back to the point, if dells are really a "piece of ****" as you eloquently described them then why are they the #1 pc manufacturer? why are they the standard brand of computer in almost any given place of employment? why do network admins choose to purchase them for their reliability? if they were as awful as you implied, they would be out of business or at least a smaller contender. it just sounds like you hate PC's no matter what, so there's hardly any point in arguing with you.

now get off your dad's computer, and stop wasting his electricity. this conversation is over.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
why are they the #1 pc manufacturer?
Does being # 1 mean that they are the best? Does it mean their products are really the best? Or does it mean that they just marketed better and/or people just buy what they see on tv "Dude, your gettin a dell".

why are they the standard brand of computer in almost any given place of employment?
See previous answer. But if that doesnt satisfy you the fact that they be all over the place doesnt mean that they are the best. Maybe its because they have goood deals with businesses, or that they just got out there in a way that appealed to businesses the best.

why do network admins choose to purchase them for their reliability?
Hmmm....Do they now? Or is it their bosses that insist they use the computers? They just have to keep them working. If you want reliability how bout an SGI? Thats the most reliable you can get. That's what I'd want over any other compute, INCLUDING apple for networking. Though apple may turn around and become the leading choice here.

it just sounds like you hate PC's no matter what, so there's hardly any point in arguing with you.
I don't hate PC's, I just think apple is better. Also, I have a problem with Microsoft, and windows especially. a PC without any microsoft on it is great in my book. I'd take an Athlon w/ linux on it, but not Windows.

now get off your dad's computer, and stop wasting his electricity. this conversation is over.
Now that's just infantile. Do you have any reason to think that this is my dad's computer?? Do you even know if my dad is alive, if I know who he is, if I live near him? NO.

It's MY computer, and MY electricity. So how about you stop tryin to piss people off and stop talkin outta your a$$. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out come back when you grow some hair on your chest.

PEACE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.