PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a iBook with dead logic board?

RedTomato
Jun 1, 2007, 02:49 PM
So I brought a spare iBook secondhand a couple of years ago. My rather non-technical father was having severe problems with his desktop PC, so I lent him the iBook. And guess what, loved it so much he never returned it :rolleyes: I didn't mind, as it was nice to help him out.

Anyways a couple of weeks ago, he told me 'it died'. So he took it to a mac shop. and 'they said the logic board was dead' so he brought a new mac laptop and left the old one there (!).

I've asked him to get it back from the shop for me, as at the least, I can use the hard drive as a spare external 2.5''.

Any suggestions as to what I can do with the rest of the laptop?

(ps. logic board = motherboard for you ex-PC guys. And it probably IS a dead mobo, it was a weak point on these models.)

mkrishnan
Jun 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
It might not be too expensive to replace the motherboard; it might be fun to find a logic board on eBay and replace it yourself. Otherwise you could certainly also sell it for parts.

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
1. Fire (http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair)
2. Cardboard

I don't remember where to find the cardboard technique though. That's also if it's a video problem.

heySparky
Jun 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
1. Fire (http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair).Wow is about all I can say, just Wow.

mkrishnan
Jun 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Wow is about all I can say, just Wow.

I know, right? I wanna find a broken iBook just to try it! :D

shu82
Jun 1, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cardboard worked fine to me. You just make a shim. I used a cig pack and just put it over the graphics chip. Then I tightened it all down. It works fine now. I might need to add more cardboard later. You can also do it with the heat gun. But you need to force that chip further into the board either way.

damir.hara
Jun 1, 2007, 03:24 PM
1) Sell it on eBay and see what you can get out of it.

or

2) Check eBay for a logic board.

:)

RedTomato
Jun 1, 2007, 03:34 PM
Wow, amazing fire link.

Dad said that it refused to boot, so probably the fire thing wouldn't help. If it booted or made sounds but no image, then woohoo it's pyro time :)

Not sure if I can be arsed to replace the logic board, it's a pretty old iBook, a G3/600 if I remember right.

A quick look on eBay shows these logic boards going for almost 100, (insane) and I feel I probably only have about a 50% chance of actually making a successful replacement.

I'd rather put the money towards a refurb macbook.

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2007, 03:35 PM
Part it out then for monies.

damir.hara
Jun 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
Wow, amazing fire link.

Dad said that it refused to boot, so probably the fire thing wouldn't help. If it booted or made sounds but no image, then woohoo it's pyro time :)

Not sure if I can be arsed to replace the logic board, it's a pretty old iBook, a G3/600 if I remember right.

A quick look on eBay shows these logic boards going for almost 100, (insane) and I feel I probably only have about a 50% chance of actually making a successful replacement.

I'd rather put the money towards a refurb macbook.

yeah. id just put it up on ebay then.

island
Jun 1, 2007, 10:29 PM
Put it up for sale here in the Marketplace

marklon
Jul 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
Def. Ebay as some have suggested here, and also try to sell the parts...

mick4394
Jul 5, 2007, 09:53 AM
Put it up for sale here in the Marketplace

You'll get way more money for it on ebay than in the marketplace.

iSaint
Jul 5, 2007, 10:12 AM
AppleCare repair is $280 guaranteed to fix whatever ails it. I got a new logic board, hard drive, and keyboard out of the deal. Plus, it didn't work after the first repair so they gave me a new battery the second time. I practically have a new iBook!