PDA

View Full Version : Have I made the right choice?

massie
Jun 30, 2003, 08:22 AM
Hi, fairly new to the group.

I decided to change to apple affter borrowing my brothers Cube

ohhh now thats a classy looking thing.. :)

anyways, it just worked... after my frustration at windows crashing... for everything,

this just works!

so today ive ordered my first apple machine... and im wondering, have i made the right choice of mac for me?

i want it for graphic designing in photoshop, web design and the occasional audio recording using firewire...

I wanted a 17" powerbook for ages, but gave up on the idea as i though "do i really need to be that portable"

so then i though iMac? (knowing there was no way i could get a G5 AND screen - although ive been closly folowing the rumours beforehand...) but i figured that the 17" screen wasnt as big as the 17" i had been using on the Cube, it was just wider...

so i opted for the "Ultimate" G4 1gighz 1 gig ram eMac.

This has a bigger screen, still CRT flat (well basicly like the cube ive been using only with better specs and more ram)

i got this, airport extreem and also VPC 6 with win XP (i know ive gotta learn to let go) but anyways, ive herd that windows with VPC runs FASTER on a mac? is this true???

so what would you have gone for if you was me? did i make the right choice?

Matt

jxyama
Jun 30, 2003, 08:40 AM
for a switcher, i don't think there's a better computer to get than an emac. it's affordable and a very good value for $$$.

enjoy and welcome!

scem0
Jun 30, 2003, 01:57 PM
Personally I would have gotten a g5 (probably the cheapest model) and a cheap-ass LCD, like a Gateway FPD1830 (18.1" - $400).

But that is more expensive, less RAM, etc.

You made a pretty good purchase.

Enjoy your new computer :).

scem0

edesignuk
Jun 30, 2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by massie

... ive herd that windows with VPC runs FASTER on a mac? is this true???

Whoever told you that could not be further from the truth, VPC 6 speed is awful, barely usable in fact. Make sure you turn ALL XP eye-candy off, that way it may just about be able to handle basic tasks.

shadowfax
Jun 30, 2003, 04:42 PM
i'd have gone for a 15 inch tibook myself, man, but if you don't need the portability, that eMac is a pretty decent hoss at 1 GHz with that load of RAM. got the 1 Gig on my Tibook myself, it really makes things snappy. VP6 is going to make windows really easy for you to let go of though, i hear it's slow as molasses. and i do mean mole asses.

agreenster
Jun 30, 2003, 05:09 PM
Abandon VPC and see what OSX can do for you.

Most of the software for the PC is available for the Mac. (especially photoshop)