PDA

View Full Version : Moved G5 upstairs where it's hotter and fan is running for awhile is this safe?

ahollywoodcraig
Jun 1, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi.
I moved my office upstairs and it's hotter than downstairs (we are without central air). When I came home today I noticed that the fan is running on my G5. It has been running for about 25 minutes or so non stop. My question is is this ok? Can the heat lead to any problems? and finally should I just move it downstairs where it is quite a bit cooler?
Any help is much appreciated.

Craig

dukebound85
Jun 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
well the fans cool it down so id take it back downstairs and see if it stops

Nermal
Jun 1, 2007, 10:16 PM
Apple says "Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)"

volvoben
Jun 1, 2007, 11:22 PM
Assuming it's not going to be over 95 up there, then just be sure the machine doesn't get any direct sunlight and be sure it's nicely blown out and free of dust. If there's no dust inside, it's not in the sun and it's under 95 at all times, you should be fine, it was designed for the conditions.

You could always use smcfancontrol or a similar program to monitor what your fans are doing and what the temps are.

ahollywoodcraig
Jun 2, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responses. I put a thermostat in my office and it looks like it's only 88 degrees F. I looked for that smcfancontrol, but it's for intel macs only and mine is a PPC. Any similar programs for ppc?

volvoben
Jun 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
good point, there are no smc controllers in ppc macs...I think these will at least tell you some temps so you can have an idea where they are...:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

JeffDM
Jun 2, 2007, 10:58 PM
Checking for dust and blowing it out really helps, but the fans on some of the G5 models, particularly the highest end ones in any revision, are just plain irritating when they are in warm environments. G5s are just plain hot.

ReanimationLP
Jun 2, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'd get some cans of compressed air, blow out all the fans, all the perforated holes in the front and back, and pull out the fans that slide out, and blow it directly across the heatsink fins to free any dust.

With that many fans and heatsink fins, dust can build up immensely onto them, making it run hotter, espically if you have a dusty house/live in a dusty area.