PDA

View Full Version : should I just buy a 17" PB


fjs08
Jun 30, 2003, 10:20 AM
Hi,

Well, I'm getting to the point that I have to do something. I've been waiting for an upgrade to the 15" Powerbook, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I'd like to hear from any 17" owners and what they think about it as a mainstream notebook. To big??? etc, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Frank

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 10:36 AM
17" is a great notebook, but i have learned on thing about it. you like it or you dont. there is hardly any getting used to it. you need to go to your local reseller or apple store and play with it and pick it up. we all know it has powerful specs, but its the size that makes or breaks the deal. when you pick up, put it on your side, see if fits you well. if it does than you have one hell of a notebook. if it doesnt fit you well settle for a 15, not to small or too big.

iJon

Pablo
Jun 30, 2003, 10:48 AM
I was in the same boat as you are.

When I decided to make my switch, the size of the 15" Powerbook was exactly what I was looking for (both size and price). I waited for Macworld SF to see what came out before making my purchase.

The integrated bluetooth, illuminated keyboard, airport extreme were very nice additions, but more importantly an improved antenna and redesigned case material made one of the two new Powerbooks (12 or 17) the logical choice. The 12 was just too small, as I don't carry it with me everyday. While the 17" was a little bigger than what I was looking for, it was closer than the 12" and I decided to make the plunge.

My Powerbook is more of a desktop replacement, with the benefit of being able to take it to the couch, bed, kitchen, garage, backyard, etc. and being able to take it to work when needed and on trips with me (about 4 times a year).

It's a little bigger than I was looking for...but not much at all. It's thinner than my Dell Inspiron 4100, about an inch wider and deeper - but it has a bigger screen.

I really couldn't be happier with my 17".

fjs08
Jun 30, 2003, 11:17 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

>>The integrated bluetooth,<<

The updated technology sounds great. I was leary of buying the 15" because I heard the wireless setup wasn't the greatest.

>>and on trips with me (about 4 times a year).<<

How does it fit on an airplane tray??? In the commercials, Mini-Me had it on his lap<g>!!

>>It's thinner than my Dell Inspiron 4100, about an inch wider and deeper - but it has a bigger screen.<<

I have a Dell 7500 currently. Monstrous in comparison to today's notebook. I have Thursday off. I'll have to make a trek to the Mac store.

btw, how much ram do you have in it. I'm notorious for getting sidetracked and opening up 4 or 5 programs at once. On my 3 yr old Dell with XP, it slooooows to a crawl. I've thought about getting a 17" with a gig of ram??

Also, what in the heck do you put the 17" to transport it?? Are bags fairly available??

Thanks again.

Frank

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by fjs08
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

>>The integrated bluetooth,<<

The updated technology sounds great. I was leary of buying the 15" because I heard the wireless setup wasn't the greatest.

>>and on trips with me (about 4 times a year).<<

How does it fit on an airplane tray??? In the commercials, Mini-Me had it on his lap<g>!!

>>It's thinner than my Dell Inspiron 4100, about an inch wider and deeper - but it has a bigger screen.<<

I have a Dell 7500 currently. Monstrous in comparison to today's notebook. I have Thursday off. I'll have to make a trek to the Mac store.

btw, how much ram do you have in it. I'm notorious for getting sidetracked and opening up 4 or 5 programs at once. On my 3 yr old Dell with XP, it slooooows to a crawl. I've thought about getting a 17" with a gig of ram??

Also, what in the heck do you put the 17" to transport it?? Are bags fairly available??

Thanks again.

Frank
im not sure about how it would fit on an airplane, but i do know what you can put it in. go to www.timbuk2.com and they make a sleve just for the 17". i have one for my 12" and I love it, fits right in with my timbuk2 bag.

iJon

WinterMute
Jun 30, 2003, 12:10 PM
There are plenty of good bags now, Brenthavens Pro17 backpack is excellent. I havent found the 17 too big in any respect, it is truly a desktop replacement, and not really a notebook, but it is eminantly portable.

Ive been using it as a video/DVD workstation lately, but the ability to run Logic/ProTools and Reason side-by-side is good enough for me.

One thing, you had better be tall, anything under about 5 foot 5 inches will leave the bottom of the bag banging on your hip bone:eek:

Go buy one.

Pablo
Jun 30, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by fjs08

How does it fit on an airplane tray??? In the commercials, Mini-Me had it on his lap<g>!!

Not sure. I got it the first week of April and haven't taken any airplane trips yet (two in the car, however).

btw, how much ram do you have in it. I'm notorious for getting sidetracked and opening up 4 or 5 programs at once. On my 3 yr old Dell with XP, it slooooows to a crawl. I've thought about getting a 17" with a gig of ram??

I just bought the standard 512 (pre-ordered it and didn't want anything delaying delivery). Works fine for me, but extra RAM surely wouldn't hurt...so if you can afford it, and it doesn't otherwise impact purchase, I don't see why not.

(haven't tried iMovie yet, but 512 is suitable for what I do in Photoshop). Of course, 1Gig wouldn't hurt.

Also, what in the heck do you put the 17" to transport it?? Are bags fairly available??

I'm using the same Samsonite bag that I used with my Dell. The 17" fits perfectly. About $80 at best buy a few years ago. Not sure if this is the exact one (BB site is down), but if not, it's damn close.

http://www.luggagesource.com//ImgUpload/N_414_59485.jpg

MacBoyX
Jun 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
Just another POV. I don't know what's shaking at the MacWorld Creative Expo (July 16-18) Greg Joswiak, Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing is giving a keynote. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Alu 15" PowerBook show up on that day. It's nothing but an update but that would get you the machine you want probably.

I know you are most likely tired of waiting but it's only another coupla weeks.

if you can't wait...go check one out. I am a bad person to ask because I traded down to an iBook from my 15" PowerBook for reasons of size and durability. Then again I also own a 15" iMac :)

MacBoyX

Chad4Mac
Jun 30, 2003, 03:03 PM
The 17 fits quite nicely on the tray in a Jetblue aircraft (A320).

I watched a DVD (Old School) while flying to NY and was totally blown away with the large screen. People would walk by us on the way to the can and throw out compliments left and right about the screen size. The movies look beautiful on the screen...

It's definitely not to small to use on a [JetBlue] airplane...

As for the case, I use a Targus CBT300 (that's the model number). I didn't like the other cases on the market when I was looking for a case. I was forced to use the same Targus bag I used for the 15, and surprisingly, it fits the 17 perfectly and has a nice sized pouch for the AC adaptor plus misc junk. I love it...


Chad4Mac

fjs08
Jun 30, 2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies. One question that begs to be answered by the switchers here---are you happy you switched??? Any regrets???

I have only one Windows program that I have to run on a Windows box, and I can use my current notebook for that. Otherwise, I'm free to go back to the Mac/Apple system I literally grew up on-computer-wise.

My partner is using a 14" i-Book and other than a compatibility issue with a 10 yr old Windows designated printer, everything runs, actually better on the i-Book.

Frank

PHARAOHk
Jun 30, 2003, 05:00 PM
The 17 is my first mac an I don't regret it at all. Trying to move around the os was a little strange at first but after 3 days I was comfortable. The size is no big deal at all. I'm sick of all the annoying comments about it size. Go to the store and actually try one if your worried. It's a great computer.
(((k)))

mstecker
Jun 30, 2003, 06:49 PM
I use the PowerSleeve 17" from Booq:

http://www.booqbags.com/ps17.html

and I couldn't be happier with it.

M.

solvs
Jun 30, 2003, 07:45 PM
Couldn't hurt to wait just a few more weeks.

What Windows program do you need to run? Get yourself a copy of VirtualPC (or RealPC) and you might not need that Dell. Runs kinda slow depending on what you need it for, but it's still worth it.

fjs08
Jun 30, 2003, 08:02 PM
solvs,

>>Couldn't hurt to wait just a few more weeks. <<

You're right. I've waited this long, what is a few more weeks.

>>What Windows program do you need to run?<<

Office Payroll/checkbook program called CheckBook Solution. Fritzy program at best under Windows. Heck, it was a dos program until a year ago or so. No kidding. It should run on Virtual PC though. I probably would get Virtual PC. I like having things all on one site<g>.

Frank

XnavxeMiyyep
Jun 30, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by fjs08

btw, how much ram do you have in it. I'm notorious for getting sidetracked and opening up 4 or 5 programs at once. On my 3 yr old Dell with XP, it slooooows to a crawl. I've thought about getting a 17" with a gig of ram??

Also, what in the heck do you put the 17" to transport it?? Are bags fairly available??

Thanks again.

Frank
fj08: 1 Gig of RAM should be enough. I'm running on 768 MB of RAM, and I rarely have less than 10 Apps open, and it is even rarer that I lag.

solvs: Is RealPC available for OS X yet?

ouketii
Jun 30, 2003, 08:52 PM
you could pay 3000 for a 17" powerbook, OR, you can duct tape training wheels on a 17" imac and save a few thousand. yeah, thats what you should do.

solvs
Jun 30, 2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
solvs: Is RealPC available for OS X yet?

Not yet. The company that makes it made an announcement, but then M$ (who bought VPC from Connectix) threatened them with legal action based on an old agreement between the people who made RealPC and Connectix. Confusing, isn't it? RealPC should be coming, it wasn't just a rumor. But with M$ and their legal tactics, who knows now?

macrat
Jun 30, 2003, 11:34 PM
The size of the PB17 is the easiest to get used to. Afterwards all other notebooks seem so tiny... It's like getting an exotic sports car. Anywhere you go, you are the center of attraction, specially from PC laptop owners!

Get the 1 meg ram.

I have a Brenthaven Shoulder bag. I use it to take my PB to heavy duty sessions some place and bring along all my accessories and file folders. But when I want to go really light and classy, I use my ultraslim "Incase" leather bag. Both these bags you can buy at the Apple store. They are not cheap $149 & $94

Go ahead and buy the PB17. I have yet to hear a PB17 owner complain that they made a mistake.

maradong
Jul 1, 2003, 12:41 AM
i m in the same situation as you are.
I ll probably get it in 2 days ;-)

orangefoodie
Jul 1, 2003, 03:57 AM
I'm a switcher (been with PC's for... about 8 years?), and I'm with macrat.

Other than some gripes inherent in OS X (Where's the bloody show-desktop windows-d command? :D ), the 17" is more than I could ever have dreamed for in a laptop, and I would never regret switching. It's gorgeous!

Sincere
Jul 1, 2003, 04:54 AM
Upgraded from a G3 B&W and I am quite pleased. At first I just stared at it a lot and thought, "3300$?!?!?" (1G Ram, AirPort base, etc, bags, etc, etc...), but I've come to love it.
I'm backing up 220G of music, and I have some gripes with the DVD-R, but if you use decent media, you should be OK. Memorex and TDK have been the best, CompUSA and Verbatim the worst, but I've had nearly 1/4 fail, and at 1.50ish each, that's not cool.
The keyboard is a bit far from the edge and squared and my wrists get annoyed by it, but this forces me to use that hand posture I should've had for years now. Check it out at a store and see if this could be a big problem for you. there are probably rests that can be bought for this anyway.
The screen is beautiful, I bought an AC power adapter (70$ish at Best Buy) and went on a road trip camping with DVDs, edited photos, and recorded a live set with some musicians in the middle of nowhere.
It's big, friends who've used other laptops say massive, but it is my first. It's made every long trip with me in the Timbuktu sleeve/bag, and been great and continues to be.
Switch now, come to the light... I'm a Mac user for life, but have worked on PCs, and hope to never again. The one caution I have is dependence on iApps. iPhoto is slow and buggy (don't dream of editing with less than 1G free), iChat lacks many features still, Safari won't load hotmail... There are always problems with an OS and its apps. The G5 laptop is perhaps a year away, I say go for it. If you can handle the size, the 17" is really a thing of beauty and flies with ease.

--Sincere

fjs08
Jul 1, 2003, 06:50 AM
macrat,

>>The size of the PB17 is the easiest to get used to. Afterwards all other notebooks seem so tiny... <<

I know what you mean. My son sent his desktop home from college and now has a notebook. So I "borrowed" his 19" monitor, which I use at home. At the office, my current 15" Dell notebook does seem so tiny. I'm off this Thursday. I'll have to make my way to the Apple store here<g>.

Frank

fjs08
Jul 1, 2003, 07:11 AM
Sincere,

>>Safari won't load hotmail<<

What's this???? My wife and kids are all on hotmail. We IM via hotmail.

My partner has an i-book. I e-mailed him today from my hotmail address to his .mac address and he got it???

Thanks.

Frank

HasanDaddy
Jul 1, 2003, 08:13 AM
I'm planning on grabbing a 17" too, but I'm waiting to see the updates as well

ouketii
Jul 1, 2003, 11:56 AM
the 17" pb is just about as portable as the 16" gateway and compaq notebooks, but half as heavy. and twice as thin

zkmusa
Jul 1, 2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by orangefoodie
I'm a switcher (been with PC's for... about 8 years?), and I'm with macrat.

Other than some gripes inherent in OS X (Where's the bloody show-desktop windows-d command? :D ), the 17" is more than I could ever have dreamed for in a laptop, and I would never regret switching. It's gorgeous!

I'm a previous Windows user of 10 years before I made the switch last August... macs are wonderful! :)

Anyway, the closest thing I've found to the windows-d command is this .... hold down the option and command/apple key and click on the finder in the dock... it hides all windows immediately. You can also do this with any other program if you just want that program's windows to show.

Something that is almost exactly like the show desktop icon in your quick lanch toolbar is this...

http://www.everydaysoftware.net/showdesktop/

You can add it to the menu extras on the OS X menu bar. When you click it, it automatically hides all windows and shows your desktop.

Those are the best solutions I've found! I can't wait for the expose feature to come, because that looks like the ultimate implementation of the "windows d" command! :)

fjs08
Jul 1, 2003, 01:05 PM
Hi,

Can anyone comment on the i-apps comment. I thought they were all top notch programs. Also the mention that you can't open hotmail in Safari?? Anyone have any difficulty with those????

Thanks.

The more I read, the more I want a 17"<g>. But they may upgrade it a bit and announce it at the next Apple meeting in mid-July. I surely can't hurt to wait a few more weeks. Plus it will toss my credit card into a new month<g>!!

Frank

yzedf
Jul 1, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by fjs08
Hi,

Can anyone comment on the i-apps comment. I thought they were all top notch programs. Also the mention that you can't open hotmail in Safari?? Anyone have any difficulty with those????

Thanks.

The more I read, the more I want a 17"<g>. But they may upgrade it a bit and announce it at the next Apple meeting in mid-July. I surely can't hurt to wait a few more weeks. Plus it will toss my credit card into a new month<g>!!

Frank
iPhoto and iTunes are notorious (amongst the OS X users I know personally) for their bad directory structures, slow load times when many files are present, and overall lack of features. They are free programs (with purchase of a Mac) so what can you expect? Mostly I only ever use iP or iT to grab pics off of my digital camera or rip cd's when put into optical drive (automatic). After that, I manipulate files (locations, editing etc) with other tools (GUI or CLI).

I have no experience with iMovie or iDVD so I can't really comment on those (have heard bad things regarding iMovie though).

iJon
Jul 1, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by fjs08
Hi,

Can anyone comment on the i-apps comment. I thought they were all top notch programs. Also the mention that you can't open hotmail in Safari?? Anyone have any difficulty with those????

Thanks.

The more I read, the more I want a 17"<g>. But they may upgrade it a bit and announce it at the next Apple meeting in mid-July. I surely can't hurt to wait a few more weeks. Plus it will toss my credit card into a new month<g>!!

Frank
iapps are great. you will find nothing like them on the windows platform. i use all of them and i think they are a key feature in what makes the mac special. i love itunes and its been my favorite music app ever since soundjam mp. its easy, pretty, has the itunes music store, you canat go wrong. iphoto is nice, but it is a memory hog and can bog down if you have many photos. but its never a problems because i dont spend much time in there. imovies is the best. it lets to take your boring videos you film and actually make them into something cool, then you can output them to idvd, which is also a great program. it has many themes to get you going and making cool dvds, but you can also customize it and make it any way you want. there is also ichat av which is 1 week old but very cool none the less. free videoconfrencing and free long distance phone calls. then there is all the others like ical, isync and the others. as to you hotmail problem. i would recommend downloading "httpmail plugin 1.20" to let you browse your hotmail in apple's mail program, which will be much better than any mail browsing on the web. let me know if you ahve any more questions.

iJon

Pete_Hoover
Jul 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
Some people think it is too big, some don't. You have to mae your own opinions about the 17" powerbook. I say go to a local Apple reseller and check it out.

fjs08
Jul 1, 2003, 04:00 PM
iJon,

>>httpmail plugin 1.20<<

Where would I find that? I searched the Apple OSX web site and came up empty.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

iJon
Jul 1, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by fjs08
iJon,

>>httpmail plugin 1.20<<

Where would I find that? I searched the Apple OSX web site and came up empty.

Thanks in advance.

Frank
sorry bout that. www.versiontracker.com. learn to live by this site, it may easily be the answer to any software problems.

iJon

yzedf
Jul 1, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by iJon
iapps are great. you will find nothing like them on the windows platform. i use all of them and i think they are a key feature in what makes the mac special. i love itunes and its been my favorite music app ever since soundjam mp. its easy, pretty, has the itunes music store, you canat go wrong. iphoto is nice, but it is a memory hog and can bog down if you have many photos. but its never a problems because i dont spend much time in there. imovies is the best. it lets to take your boring videos you film and actually make them into something cool, then you can output them to idvd, which is also a great program. it has many themes to get you going and making cool dvds, but you can also customize it and make it any way you want. there is also ichat av which is 1 week old but very cool none the less. free videoconfrencing and free long distance phone calls. then there is all the others like ical, isync and the others. as to you hotmail problem. i would recommend downloading "httpmail plugin 1.20" to let you browse your hotmail in apple's mail program, which will be much better than any mail browsing on the web. let me know if you ahve any more questions.

iJon

For something better than iPhoto (for Windows or linux or *BSD's) try CompuPic http://www.photodex.com/

iTunes only for access to the iTMS. There are many alternatives to this one, ranging from xmms (linux) to winamp (windows - very similar to xmms) and so on.

iMovie does seem unique. But it also a hobby I can not afford :(

iChat seems like it could be cool... but the only "new" thing is the smoother video.

I also would not use iCal as a glowing example of Apple's quality... ;)

iJon
Jul 1, 2003, 04:57 PM
the windows photo program, does it automatically get your photos from your camera, if it does then its a winner.
i know there is winamp and so forth on windows, and thats the reason i like itunes. but its all about opinions, i just prefer itunes over anything else windows has to offer. imovie is one of a kind, until windows somewhat copied it. ichat is great and the audio and video over the net is already a great success and hopefully windows will pick up the tech so its not limited to just macs. i like ical, but i know many who don't and like entourage, and that very understandable. isync is great, especially if you have .mac, ipod, or a bluetooth phone. it takes one of all of those devices to understand the beauty of isync.

iJon

BWhaler
Jul 2, 2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by fjs08
Hi,

Well, I'm getting to the point that I have to do something. I've been waiting for an upgrade to the 15" Powerbook, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I'd like to hear from any 17" owners and what they think about it as a mainstream notebook. To big??? etc, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Frank

Hi Frank,

I was exactly in your position for the past 6 months. I wanted the size and price of the 15" but didn't want to buy a clearly dated machine.

The HP I has been using for work finally became beyond unusable a few weeks ago, and I was in one hell of a pickle. I didn't want the 17", and the 12" has too many issues from my tastes.

So, I went to the Apple store not sure what I was going to do, and walked out with the 17" PB.

I was very mixed on it at first, thinking I didn't need the extra screen space--needless to say the extra money spent.

Now, about a month later, I am beyond pleased. The mobility is fine, and I have grown to need the screen real estate. I would make the decision again in a heart beat, and my only regret was not getting it sooner.

It is the best machine I have ever owned.

I hope this is of some help.

maradong
Jul 2, 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by BWhaler
Hi Frank,

I was exactly in your position for the past 6 months. I wanted the size and price of the 15" but didn't want to buy a clearly dated machine.

The HP I has been using for work finally became beyond unusable a few weeks ago, and I was in one hell of a pickle. I didn't want the 17", and the 12" has too many issues from my tastes.

So, I went to the Apple store not sure what I was going to do, and walked out with the 17" PB.

I was very mixed on it at first, thinking I didn't need the extra screen space--needless to say the extra money spent.

Now, about a month later, I am beyond pleased. The mobility is fine, and I have grown to need the screen real estate. I would make the decision again in a heart beat, and my only regret was not getting it sooner.

It is the best machine I have ever owned.

I hope this is of some help.

happy to hear it ;-)
A lucky man, i suppose

orangefoodie
Jul 2, 2003, 08:10 AM
Hehehe, I can't wait for Panther either... the F10 key looks rather promising. ;)
Windows-d and windows-e are the two windoze functions I miss most. Now if only Sophie (my powerbook) would come back from the Apple repair ping-pong soon, so I can get the prebeta installed --- I'll be all set. :D

On a side note, yzedf or anyone else, do you know of a program like that CompuPic you just mentioned running on native OS X? I'm trying to manage well over a few hundred images scanned from books, and preview and/or iPhoto is a pain in the neck. I used to use ACDSee when I was on the PC, but now I'm clueless as to what options are available on the Mac; ACDSee for Mac is Classic only, and WAAAAAY too slow.

Oh, and I think the i-whatever program frenzy is getting a bit out of hand. Last I checked, my Applications folder had at least 10 different i-apps :rolleyes:

iJon
Jul 4, 2003, 12:56 AM
you should get it, you know its a good machines when your ferrets like it. actually i have found one problem with the 17" powerbook and panther. there arent enough function keys to take full advatage of expose without moving to letters.

iJon

orangefoodie
Jul 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
Wow, that's disturbingly cute. ;)

iJon
Jul 4, 2003, 03:56 PM
yeah you gotta watch out with the ferrets. they will walk all over your keyboard and youll come back with your hard drive named *&^DDDDDDDDDDDDD

iJon

crenz
Jul 4, 2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by orangefoodie
On a side note, yzedf or anyone else, do you know of a program like that CompuPic you just mentioned running on native OS X?

Take a look at iView MediaPro (http://www.iview-multimedia.com/). Lets you mass annotate your pictures, create sets from them, do slideshows, create HTML files etc. Takes a bit to get used to all the functionality, but it's very powerful. I like it. (Although I use my own Perl scripts to export sets of images w/ annotations to my website.)

Shiesl
Jul 4, 2003, 07:59 PM
Waiting to get the 17" myself, but decided to wait until after MacWorld as I would expect an announcement then. The problem is that I leave for Denmark on July 15th for 2-3 months and I could really use it there. Hoping to have one shipped, but not sure how VAT works. Ah well.

orangefoodie
Jul 5, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by crenz
Take a look at iView MediaPro (http://www.iview-multimedia.com/). Lets you mass annotate your pictures, create sets from them, do slideshows, create HTML files etc. Takes a bit to get used to all the functionality, but it's very powerful. I like it. (Although I use my own Perl scripts to export sets of images w/ annotations to my website.)

Oh wow, thank you so much! It's all I could have asked for and more! :D

/me does a happy dance

crenz
Jul 5, 2003, 09:22 AM
I'm always glad to help :)