PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland re-opens the submarine ride

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2007, 11:16 PM
News for Southern Californians...

The submarine ride at Disneyland is returning to life after a long hiatus in Davy Jones' Locker!

The ride was inaugurated in June 1959 with 8 gray-colored subs that circled a lagoon, giving you looks at toy fish, mermaids, and a sea serpent. The subs were repainted yellow in the 1980s, but remained basically unchanged.

Then, in September 1998, the ride closed. Disney spokespeople said it was too expensive to run the ride, which handled only 38 passengers at a time, and that it was no longer "relevant." They hinted at a replacement coming in 2003, but it never came.

This week, they've finally announced that the submarine ride is returning, in the form of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, based of course on the successful movie from 2003. The ride opens June 11, 2007.

You can see a time-lapse movie of the construction here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/attractions/detail?name=FindingNemoSubmarineVoyageAttractionPage) and more history and news here (http://www.disneysubmarines.com/).

Instead of toy fish, the ride will use high-tech projected images. Sounds like fishy fun!

EricNau
Jun 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
They announced it just last week? ...It seems like I've known about it for at least a year. :confused:

Since they're using "high-tech projected images" now, I wonder if I'll miss the corniness of the old ride. ...It also makes me wonder why they even bother placing the subs in the water.

I'll be visiting Disneyland later this summer, so I guess I'll be able to answer my own questions. :)

AoWolf
Jun 1, 2007, 11:36 PM
Oddly enough one of my first ever memories are of the sub ride. I think the subs add a nice balance between rides and those sit down attractions (3d movies car chases ext)

devilot
Jun 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
...It seems like I've known about it for at least a year. :confused: I snapped a pic of it awhile back... they had these walls constructed around the area "advertising" the coming Nemo ride.

I sooo wanna go. :o

JNB
Jun 2, 2007, 12:00 AM
The legend of "the day" as that the Disneyland submarine fleet was the third-largest in the world, after the Soviets and the US.

Completely useless trivia, but it's late...

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 2, 2007, 12:08 AM
i just want them to bring back "mr toad's wild ride" at disney world

joepunk
Jun 2, 2007, 12:08 AM
I loved the Capt. Nemo Nautilus submarine ride in Disney World. I hope/wish that they kepted one and maybe in the future put one up on display.

spork183
Jun 2, 2007, 12:13 AM
The legend of "the day" as that the Disneyland submarine fleet was the third-largest in the world, after the Soviets and the US.

Completely useless trivia, but it's late...

Not useless at all. The "Mickey Missile" is widely credited with swinging the balance of power during the cold war....

Doctor Q
Jun 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
They announced it just last week? ...It seems like I've known about it for at least a year. :confused:
It's no secret that it was coming, but they just started the publicity campaign, ad placements, promos, etc.

Names of the original submarines:Ethan Allen, George Washington, Nautilus, Patrick Henry, Sea Wolf, Skate, Skipjack, and Triton

Names of the yellow fleet:Argonaut, Explorer, Nautilus (same as before), Neptune, Sea Star, Sea Wolf (same as before), Seeker, and Triton (same as before)

The Nemo fleet:Happy, Grumpy, Bashful... oh wait, wrong list! :p

ScruffyTheMac
Jun 2, 2007, 01:23 AM
haha - the submarines are about the only thing I remember from my Disneyland visit when I was three or four, back in the early sixties.

jaw04005
Jun 11, 2007, 07:14 AM
I understand Disney's need to change with the times, but remodeling classic attractions just to incorporate animated characters is annoying.

What's next? Space Mountain featuring the characters from Cars!

The just remodeled the Living Seas exhibit at Epcot to incorporate Finding Nemo. At some point, it's just a bit weird.

Queso
Jun 11, 2007, 07:25 AM
The just remodeled the Living Seas exhibit at Epcot to incorporate Finding Nemo. At some point, it's just a bit weird.
I once dived in the EPCOT tank. It was quite funny waving at all the tourists :)

Aeolius
Jun 11, 2007, 07:52 AM
I loved the Capt. Nemo Nautilus submarine ride in Disney World. I hope/wish that they kepted one and maybe in the future put one up on display.

They did. You have to take the Disney cruise to their private island, though.

kwood
Jun 11, 2007, 08:08 AM
I remember going on this ride when I was 5. I don't remember any of the scenery. I spent the entire ride looking at the water dripping in from the ceiling. My dad told me not to worry... but being 5 I didn't listen.

Sdashiki
Jun 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well, its too bad DisneyLAND, sucks....compared to its WORLDly counterpart.

:p

Correct me if Im wrong, but in Orlando, it was 20,000 leagues under the sea "the ride", being based on the Disney movie of the book.

It closed, and from the view in a skybucket, looked like it was just not running, bubbles still went gurgle and ripples abounded.

Then, they closed the skybuckets.

Then they made the line-entrance to the 20,000 Leagues ride into a meet-n-greet character spot.

Then, they closed Mr. Toads Wild Ride, directly across the way.

Then they re-opened Mr. Toad as a twisted and eerily LSD influenced Winnie the Pooh ride.

20,000 Leagues uses a HUGE amount of real estate in the Magic Kingdom, yet its unused, for over a decade almost.

jaw04005
Jun 11, 2007, 06:39 PM
20,000 Leagues uses a HUGE amount of real estate in the Magic Kingdom, yet its unused, for over a decade almost.

That's now Pooh's Playful Spot or something of the sort.

puckhead193
Jun 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
I once dived in the EPCOT tank. It was quite funny waving at all the tourists :)

what epcot tank?

japanime
Jun 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
Not useless at all. The "Mickey Missile" is widely credited with swinging the balance of power during the cold war....

Now we're talking! Weapons of Mouse Destruction!

ejb190
Jun 11, 2007, 10:31 PM
what epcot tank?

The Living Seas at Epcot. They allow guests to do supervised dives there. My roommate when I worked at Disney was one of the Dive Interns. He always came home with some really funny stories!

There has been a few rumors about what Disney will do with the former 20K Leagues site, but nothing has come of any of them yet. Makes me wonder if it has something to do with the park attendance falling flat in the last couple of years (which may, in turn, have something to do with ticket prices going out the roof...).

cycocelica
Jun 12, 2007, 02:41 AM
My mom is very upset she wasn't there for the opening. But then again she and my dad just went to the premier of Pirates 3 at Disneyland for $1,500 a ticket :eek:

Sdashiki
Jun 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
My mom is very upset she wasn't there for the opening. But then again she and my dad just went to the premier of Pirates 3 at Disneyland for $1,500 a ticket :eek:

Sounds like the "Disney-Can-Do-No-Wrong" type person.

the blind faith that Disney branded things mean the best.

that disneyworld and the mouse are god and need to be worshiped, with money.

Doctor Q
Jun 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine was there yesterday for Nemo's opening day. You'll be shocked to learn that the submarine ride line was very long. One nice thing: they let people in line continue to wait for their turn even after Disneyland closes!

If you divide Disneyland's average daily attendance by the rate at which passengers ride the submarines, you'll find that it would take 60 hours (per day) to get everyone through the ride.

cycocelica
Jun 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
Sounds like the "Disney-Can-Do-No-Wrong" type person.

the blind faith that Disney branded things mean the best.

that disneyworld and the mouse are god and need to be worshiped, with money.

Err, I think its more that she enjoys Disneyland still and has a fascination with with much of Disney's history. She knows that Disney can do wrong, and has. Look at Eisner. Plus it was an anniversary gift and a once in a life time opportunity.

FoxyKaye
Jun 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but in Orlando, it was 20,000 leagues under the sea "the ride", being based on the Disney movie of the book.

It closed, and from the view in a skybucket, looked like it was just not running, bubbles still went gurgle and ripples abounded.

Then, they closed the skybuckets...

Oh the memories - I haven't been to Disney anything since 8th grade, but when my mom and I were there we rode on both 20,000 Leagues and the skybucket. The 20,000 Leagues ride *was* leaky, and kind of smelly too. But, it was cool in that "check out the world of plastic and robots beneath the sea" experience.

Actually, the skybucket was really fun too - if it is what I think you're referring to, we had a very peaceful ride across the park and got to see everything from above. Much like the ride at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk...

Of course, that was also the time of the "original" Pirates of the Caribbean ride too - I remember that from long before Johnny Depp was included in the mix.

Sdashiki
Jun 12, 2007, 01:18 PM
Of course, that was also the time of the "original" Pirates of the Caribbean ride too - I remember that from long before Johnny Depp was included in the mix.

Which is even more blasphemous than kowtowing to women's rights groups about the portrayal of women on the ride.

i.e. being chased by pirates

replaced by women chasing the pirates and pirates chasing food (chickens, pigs)

sigh, truly a good chance to see the way things used to be, oh a pirates life for me.

Bobdude161
Jun 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
oooooo I like the way you think Sdashiki! :D

Leraste
Jun 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
The new subs are amazing! A bunch of friends and I went yesterday. The line was about a 4 hour wait but it was worth it! The underwater animation is really fascinating too.

Sdashiki
Jun 12, 2007, 02:56 PM
oooooo I like the way you think Sdashiki! :D

which part?

solvs
Jun 13, 2007, 01:14 AM
What's next? Space Mountain featuring the characters from Cars!

No... Aerosmith. Yeah, I'm not kidding. And Tom Sawyer's Island is being turned into a Pirate themed island. Seriously. We went to Disneyland for New Years and it was packed. Packed! But it was worth it for the show.

I work for Disney now, so I probably shouldn't say anything.

devilot
Jun 13, 2007, 01:17 AM
What's next? Space Mountain featuring the characters from Cars! No... Aerosmith. Yeah, I'm not kidding.Odd. When I went to DL for the '06 holiday season (technically it was January '07), Space Mountain featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, not Aerosmith. But maybe you're talkin' about Disney World? :o

solvs
Jun 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
Odd. When I went to DL for the '06 holiday season (technically it was January '07), Space Mountain featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, not Aerosmith. But maybe you're talkin' about Disney World? :o

You're right. It was (is?) RHCP in CA. Was even Hoobastank for Grad Nite last year. Aerosmith is Disneyworld in FL. France too I believe. We were told Disneyland in CA would be getting Aerosmith too, but who knows when, or even if. Don't know when the Pirates thing happens with Tom Sawyers Island either, but I've seen pictures.

We're you there on New Years Eve too?

Sdashiki
Jun 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
No... Aerosmith. Yeah, I'm not kidding. And Tom Sawyer's Island is being turned into a Pirate themed island.

Leave it to Disney to make a crap trio of movies, dont comment on that comment here please, that actually turned out to be big money makers. Then take that success and try to put it on their theme park(s) eventhough most viewers of the movies wont be travelling because they spent all their gas money watching the 3 movies.

Anyway, something like a few decades of keeping Tom Sawyers island as it always was, and changing it to reflect a flash in the pan pirate revival?

To those who dont know, to get to Tom Sawyers island you have to ride these "rafts" wich are basically outboard motor platforms made to look like wood. They hold, MAYBE, 20 people safely, 30 if you all hold hands. And it takes at least 2-5 minutes to board and cross the river. Not to mention the gigantic paddleboat that comes by, barring you from crossing. Lines will be atrocious whereas its always been, Tom Sawyers island is closed today, or in, over and on within a few minutes. Waiting for the island, is not something Id want to do. Trying to make a BIG THEMED attraction out of the island, is begging for people to get pushed into that fowl (lots of ducks) water...and sue....

Disney, you are so dumb and always have and will be. Though, I still like you.

Doctor Q
Jun 13, 2007, 10:59 AM
Trivia:

* The original submarine ride at Disneyland was open from June 6, 1959 to September 7, 1998.

* Even though Americans keep getting fatter, they now manage to squeeze 40 people into each sub, up from the previous 38.

* The speed of the fleet has been reduced from 1.8 miles per hour to 1.4 miles per hour. Maybe the new engines have less seahorsepower!

* The slower speed makes the ride take longer, but they've also lengthened the route, so the round trip to the ocean depths takes 12 minutes, up from 8.25 minutes.

* The volume of water in the lagoon has been reduced from the original 9 million gallons to a mere 6.3 million gallons. Coincidentally, that's about how much Pepsi I had to drink to "win" all of my free iTunes during those past promotions.

cycocelica
Jun 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
And Tom Sawyer's Island is being turned into a Pirate themed island.

Oh how the times are changing. They should just leave it as it is. I remember as a kid that was a legit place to go and explore.

Antares
Jun 13, 2007, 04:47 PM
I was in town for work and saw all of the pomp that was going on on Monday. I didn't make it into DL, though, since I had to catch a 5PM flight. Could have been fun if I planned for that. Ah well. I always went to DisneyWorld as a kid so I don't think Land could have matched, anyway.

paleck
Jun 13, 2007, 07:05 PM
i just want them to bring back "mr toad's wild ride" at disney world

They got rid of it?!?!?!? Shows you just how long its been since I was there... :D

Leraste
Jun 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
IMO the new Pirates Lair is much better and more interactive. Before not that many people who go to the island and now it's packed. You get treasure maps upon entering the island showing where everything is. Little niches with treasure and even Davy Jones heart have been added to the caves/grottos. It makes it more worth visiting to me. Besides, what kids these days are going to know who Tom Sawyer is? They all love the pirates.