Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2002
Thinking of heading to a B&M apple store to get a mac, as opposed to getting it from the online apple store. Is there somewhere that you can see what an apple store has in stock? Say I want to know what the Apple store in Minneapolis has for stock computers...does Apple maintain a somewhat real-time website for this? Or do i need to call the actual store. Also, do the b&m stores do custom orders? I assume it wouldn't be ready for a few days if they did. Thanks!

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Apple Stores

I think you will have to call them to find out stock, you will want to select option 5 to get directly to the store, otherwise you will be connected to the virtual Apple Store. From my experience at the local store (San Diego) - you want to go to the store anyway :) - fun to see all the toys - I really liked the sound sticks!!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
go to the closest retail location

I agree, go to the Apple retail store closest to you. I went to one over a month ago, but will be going back in the next week or two. I believe that they carry the Dr. Bott iPod pack that has the FM transmitter in it. I will be giving that a try in the new truck (very, very little city driving for me) before seeing about changing the stock audio system. Even if they don't have it, I will enjoy going there again. There is something to be said about being suroudned by the other mac faithful. Especially now that I can talk tech with the 'geniuses' there :D.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2002
Heh...I couldn't agree more. I'd like to go check out the store, but the closest one is 3 hours away. Its not that bad, but I don't really want to drive all that just to see the apple store...as great as it is. If I go, it will be to get a computer....and also to hang out at the store for a while. So do the apple stores to any kind of custom systems? Is there an amount of time that it takes them to get one? Or do they even do custom stuff. I'm assuming its all the same 4 default powermac systems apple sells on their websites

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I could be wrong, but I believe that you can do a BTO from the Apple retail location. Depending on what you want, and what they have in stock, you might be able to walk away with it the same day. I will probably go there when I get my next Mac. More so because there is one about an hour away from where I currently live (was 10 minutes before, but I left that place before they opened). There is no sales tax there, and I wouldn't have to pay tax by taking it between states (would be impossible to enforce anyway). Most places that I have called that ship items would let me get away without the tax (the ones that claim that they must) if I had it shipped to someone I know in NH (I live in MA). I might do that next time I have a large purchase, it's not worth the effort on small items.

There are phone numbers listed for all the Apple retail locations, just call the one near you and see what they can do for you. You could be happily surprised by what they tell you.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2002
Ok thats interesting info. I will have to check it out.

They don't charge sales tax there? Is that just at that one particular store? I noticed at the online store they charge sales tax in all 50 states because they have some sort of "presence" in each one.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
NH has no sales tax...

That is odd, since I placed the order for Quicktime 5 numbers which listed as having sales tax, but on the final invoice there was no tax. I didn't question it, since it meant less money spent. I don't plan on using mail order for the next computer, since I prefer to get fast gratification when spending that kind of $$$$. :D

superfula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I don't plan on using mail order for the next computer, since I prefer to get fast gratification when spending that kind of $$$$. :D

I couldn't agree more. I'll probably have to take a three hour tour up to the apple store soon.

I actually didn't go far enough into the online transaction to see if they actually applied the sales tax.

One more question....have you seen anything on the geforce4Ti? Benchmarks compared to the Radeon....and if the systems that the card is in are selling on time, or if they are backordered because of the card. I saw a post (it was from february though) that said the ti card was backordered, thus slowing down the shipment of macs with that card.

I've pretty much settled on a dual gig mac....512mb ram for now, more later when i have the funds....the 80gig hd....cdrw (superdrive write speed isn't fast enough :) )....and possibly the geforce4Ti, although i wouldn't complain if i had the Radeon.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I haven't heard anything new about the gforce card. Get the one that you prefer. I think that the Radoen 8500 rocks, but I have always favored ATI video cards.

I just looked at the spec's for the 2002 QuickSilver model... the DP1GHz system is rated at 15 Gigaflops... jeeeeezusssss... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.