PDA

View Full Version : G5 top selling mac already.

medea
Jun 30, 2003, 02:43 PM
http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2301 "IGM notes that the dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 is already the top selling Mac at the online Apple Store. The system, which won't ship till August, is third on Apple's Top Sellers list, with iSight and iPod taking the top two spots."

Any doubts that the G5 will bring Apple back into the game now?

Durandal7
Jun 30, 2003, 03:04 PM
Good, that means software companies will have more incentive to make 64-bit optimized applications.

sparkleytone
Jun 30, 2003, 03:14 PM
i think this goes to show us how bad the pmac sales were and how consumers just werent buying the power of the G4.

scem0
Jun 30, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
i think this goes to show us how bad the pmac sales were and how consumers just werent buying the power of the G4.

true.... true....

shows how people were waiting for the G5....

The iSight is selling a lot? That suprises me....

It seems too expensive, and not many people have much of a use for it.

scem0

Kwyjibo
Jun 30, 2003, 03:25 PM
the isight is pretty cool...its not that expensive compared to other firewire cameras and the integration is superb....I mean I know there are firewire camera that are priced higher , have worse features/no mics .....

ouketii
Jun 30, 2003, 03:57 PM
HEY who would think.. make a product thats hella faster than the old stuff and will run everything in the seeable future... i mean, why wouldn't people buy it? you- go buy it!

ibookin'
Jun 30, 2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by scem0

scem0

Look at it this way. The iBot, another firewire camera, is $99. The iSight is $50 more, but justifies it. To work, the iBot needs a microphone port. For people who don't have one (like me), an iMic must be purchased to use the iBots built in mic, which is another $30. At this point, I'd much rather have the iSight, which is a better camera.

job
Jun 30, 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by scem0

i'd expect the isight to attract potential switchers, even with the high price.

it's a nifty little gadget that does exactly what it says on the box, just like the ipod.

PowerBook User
Jun 30, 2003, 07:19 PM
It does seem like everyone was waiting for the Power Mac G5 to come out. Not only that, but most people seem to be buying the dual 2.0 GHz model. Hopefully this will help increase Apple's market share.

Macmaniac
Jun 30, 2003, 07:44 PM
If anyone wants to lend me $3000 I will happily add to the sales numbers:)
If all else I am pondering a 1.8ghz model its just the right price. When u compare it to the 1.6ghz its only $400 more and just adding the ram to that model brings it close to the 1.8ghz model.

GeneR
Jun 30, 2003, 08:21 PM
The G4 being butt-slow in comparison with PCs in terms of speed performance and the persistent question about when the G5s would come out (how long did we have to wait? I don't want to think about it!) I believe a lot of people simply knew that it was better to wait if they could to get the better chip.

It's felt as if a good portion of the mac-buying community simply thought differently than to pounce on every incarnation of G4 to wait it out for the next big thing. Well, thank goodness it's almost here!

pEZ
Jun 30, 2003, 10:07 PM
If I didn't have a near $3000 debt already, I'd spend some money on all three of those top three sellers. I have use for every one of them, especially the iPod.

College is great - except for the money it costs.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 1, 2003, 06:22 AM
I'm waiting till the G5 ships to actually get one - its already going to be coming out in September now, not August and with all these orders its probably going to be even longer before we see them.

Good for Apple though, and I'd love to see the numbers - I wonder why they aren't letting us know how many have already been ordered?

D

eyelikeart
Jul 1, 2003, 06:50 AM
I just hope this doesn't turn into another G4 fiasco with prices being bumped on lesser models to compensate for a lack of product.

I am curious to know just how many have been ordered though.

nospleen
Jul 1, 2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm waiting till the G5 ships to actually get one - its already going to be coming out in September now, not August and with all these orders its probably going to be even longer before we see them.

Good for Apple though, and I'd love to see the numbers - I wonder why they aren't letting us know how many have already been ordered?

D

I ordered one on Monday from General Cybernetics. Doug said that he spoke with their apple rep on Monday and he said mid August. (Crossing fingers)

jeffosx
Jul 1, 2003, 08:49 AM
makes me kinda sad. Maybe we are a third world country. Number

1 is QT pro
2 dvd-r media
3 QT mpeg 2 playback
4 a bloody USB floppy disk drive!!!!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 1, 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by nospleen
I ordered one on Monday from General Cybernetics. Doug said that he spoke with their apple rep on Monday and he said mid August. (Crossing fingers)

Cool - I got a quote from him as well and will probably buy one there in September. I think it is a little optimistic that they'll be available in August, but if they are that would be great!

D

wdlove
Jul 1, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Cool - I got a quote from him as well and will probably buy one there in September. I think it is a little optimistic that they'll be available in August, but if they are that would be great!

D

It seems logical to me, that individuals that ordered it first should receive them in August. I believe in first come first served! It's very heartwarming to hear sales figures that the dual 2 gig are the number 3 seller at the Apple Store. This encouraging optimism should help with further R&D from hardware and software companies!

couch potato
Jul 1, 2003, 06:17 PM
yay thats good to hear. its energy for my moral:) what??? longer than august? NOOOOOOOOOOOO I CANT WAIT THAT LONG :( 1 month is loooooong enough.

OKComputer
Jul 1, 2003, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have any factual inital sales figures of the G5? like how many units already ordered. im curious.

medea
Jul 1, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by OKComputer
Does anyone have any factual inital sales figures of the G5? like how many units already ordered. im curious.
i have a feeling they won't release that info just yet, with it reaching such high numbers it might bring into question whether or not they will be able to meet such high demand etc. I could be wrong though.

Dahl
Jul 1, 2003, 09:35 PM
I really hope they will come out sometime in August, they have too...

mactastic
Jul 1, 2003, 10:35 PM
Talk about some seriously pent up demand. I wish I could afford/justify one!

dongmin
Jul 2, 2003, 10:14 AM
This is pretty sweet news to Apple. Not only are they making a cool $3000 on each system, they're probably doing another grand or two on extras like ATI 9800 Pro, extra RAM, Cinema Display, iPod, software, etc. (for suckers like me).

Last quarter (Q2 2003), Apple shipped 156,000 PowerMacs, grossing $293,000,000. Apple should easily double this number (maybe triple?) for the quarter that these G5s ship. And assuming that these high-end powermacs have a hefty profit margin, this bodes well for Apple's bottom line.

MattG
Jul 2, 2003, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I wonder if it's really a top selling item, or if they just put it up in the top sellers to 'hype it up'.

OKComputer
Jul 3, 2003, 01:13 AM
no hype needed.

on a side note, i wonder about all of you. What would you do if you were jobs? Given availble technologies (aka no G6s) how would you make apples product line appear?

I plan on purchasing a 1.8 as soon as they are availible immediate shipping.

I am just curious about sales facts because apple blamed slow powermac sales on photoshop....then quark....so are they really going to start picking up?

themadchemist
Jul 13, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by medea
http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2301 "IGM notes that the dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 is already the top selling Mac at the online Apple Store. The system, which won't ship till August, is third on Apple's Top Sellers list, with iSight and iPod taking the top two spots."

Any doubts that the G5 will bring Apple back into the game now?

but this isn't telling us a whole lot...the specs and price are right, and it is the only dualie. You could have told from the forums it would beat out the other. And it's going to beat out other product lines from apple because there was so much pent-up desire for a NEW pro line.

BUT the real questions are:
How are sales doing relative to past sales? (they are probably higher, but is that sustainable?)
How are sales doing against competitor sales? (probably not as optimistic a number)
How many of these sales are to new customers? (again, probably not that many. Too bad, because if someone were to "switch" to one of these, he/she'd probably NEVER go back)

themadchemist
Jul 13, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by OKComputer

Apple usually releases such information in their quarterly report, along with earnings per share, etc....About the same time as their SEC filings.