Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I have 3 filters for my Canon 400D. Warm, UV and PL-CIR. Should I keep one of these on my primary lens at all time or should I use the lens without a filter, only bringing them out when I have it?

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I have 3 filters for my Canon 400D. Warm, UV and PL-CIR. Should I keep one of these on my primary lens at all time or should I use the lens without a filter, only bringing them out when I have it?

Personally, I'd never use my lens without a UV/protection filter. It helps protect the glass on the lens. I hardly ever take it off.. I have even tended to leave it on when also using my Circ. polarizing filter (although I've heard some say not to stack filters.. :confused: ). It'd be a good general practice for you to leave your UV filter on your lens at all times.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I seem to remember a thread about this a while back, filled with lots of debate.

If you have really good glass, you have to make sure that any filter you put in front of it is of at least the same quality. If not, you're defeating the purpose of having a good lens.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I've never really noticed any problems because of using a UV filter (which I do on the lens for which I presently have one), so any difference it makes must be either rare or minuscule -- sadly, two things that lens damage are not.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
I don't think the people who buy what I would call a "high quality UV filter" have any illusions that it makes the pictures a lot better, really. To me it would be about having the highest quality piece of glass infront of the lens glass, that doesn't degrade the quality of light coming through the filter and lens to the sensor, to protect it from scratches dings. Hope that makes sense :) .

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I've never used a filter and have never damaged glass. It doesn't make sense to me to buy some nice glass, then add a filter in front of it. Just make sure to use your lens hood, which will provide excellent protection and simply be careful

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Well, to each their own, I guess.. but when I spend $1,000+ on a great piece of glass, it does give me a little piece of mind to pay a little premium for a high quality filter to protect the glass. :eek:

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Well, to each their own, I guess.. but when I spend $1,000+ on a great piece of glass, it does give me a little piece of mind to pay a little premium for a high quality filter to protect the glass. :eek:

That's certainly one argument. Others will likely argue that they didn't pay $1000+ for a lens just to stick a $100 filter in front of it and degrade their image quality. Like you said- to each his own.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That's certainly one argument. Others will likely argue that they didn't pay $1000+ for a lens just to stick a $100 filter in front of it and degrade their image quality. Like you said- to each his own.

And, as most people here are, in all likelihood, actually talking about a $15 piece of glass they're putting in front of their lens... :D

I used to do this all the time, but now I've stopped - I examined all of my UV filters, and none had so much as a scratch on it (and frankly, anything less than a huge gouge on the front element is not likely to affect your photo significantly anyway). It is possible to get a damaged lens repaired, should something awful actually happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.